No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Post by elena86 »

This is a mistery to me. The Watu is such a gorgeous good allaround edc, it performs like a champ and yet it seems quite overlooked. No sprints or exclusives so far. It seems the Smock gets more love and I wonder why. I would kill for a blue Crucarta Watu not to mention one in LC200N with lime green G10 scales. Time will tell ... maybe it’s too soon.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Post by Mushroom »

It has only been out for a little over 6 months, I would also guess it's just too soon right now. It would be an anomaly to me if it were to already be getting a sprint or exclusive.

It is definitely possible that it will be sprinted or get an exclusive though.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There have been so many that I really expected would have sprints but never did. There must be something behind the scenes that dictates it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I want to buy a Watu but I already have several knives with similar CF scales. So, like the Smock, I'm hoping that someone does an exclusive that appeals to me. Knowing how long exclusives take to get into production I haven't really expected to see one any time soon.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

It's a bit too soon, but I would say it is a quite popular model, so it is a matter of time.
But the base model is a quite exclusive even right now, CF laminate and M390(?) You don't see on every model.
Dealer exclusive is always possible, maybe DLT with red G10 and 20CV? Or someone else with other combination.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:41 am
It's a bit too soon, but I would say it is a quite popular model, so it is a matter of time.
But the base model is a quite exclusive even right now, CF laminate and M390(?) You don't see on every model.
Dealer exclusive is always possible, maybe DLT with red G10 and 20CV? Or someone else with other combination.
Base model is 20CV ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:39 am
I want to buy a Watu but I already have several knives with similar CF scales. So, like the Smock, I'm hoping that someone does an exclusive that appeals to me. Knowing how long exclusives take to get into production I haven't really expected to see one any time soon.
Same. If aftermarket scales were more common I'd think about it now. But as it is, I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I'll be all over it like white on rice the second one is available. With how thin the blade is I'd love to see some really high performance steels like Rex45, 10v, or even s90v. Something to really push that blade to it's limits.

And of course I wouldn't be disappointed if an lc200n sprint came around :D
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Same. If aftermarket scales were more common I'd think about it now. But as it is, I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed.
I've seen some nice scales for it but I'm not too thrilled about spending a lot of $ for a knife and immediately adding a set of pricey scales. However I do like 20CV so it's not totally out of the question. It's a regular production model so I'll wait awhile and see what happens
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:22 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
I've seen some nice scales for it but I'm not too thrilled about spending a lot of $ for a knife and immediately adding a set of pricey scales. However I do like 20CV so it's not totally out of the question. It's a regular production model so I'll wait awhile and see what happens
Exactly. The wood scales people here have gotten are gorgeous, but they're definitely an investment. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

BHQ M4 would get my money.

Or an LC200N Salt version ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:24 pm
BHQ M4 would get my money.

Or an LC200N Salt version ;)
I second that blade hq version. Generally I find the jade G10 really hit or miss aesthetically, but the watu would be great in that configuration. Plus I don’t have any m4 blades so it’s a perfect excuse to buy a second watu :)

I’d also really dig a Japanese steel like super blue or something in that realm. That thin blade would be great in SB or v-toku.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lumpy,

The Watu is made in Taichung, Taiwan so we more than likely use a USA steel like 52100 instead of Supere Blue, or some other USA made steel.

sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:58 pm
Hi Lumpy,

The Watu is made in Taichung, Taiwan so we more than likely use a USA steel like 52100 instead of Supere Blue, or some other USA made steel.

sal
Hi Sal,
How about Rex 45?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Knifecenter exclusive with Pakkawood and Rex45? ;)
-Nick :bug-red
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

The steel and the handle construction of the Watu itself is already equivalent to Sprints/exclusives. Don't know how much more could they improve this awesome knife other than wooden scales.

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:46 pm
Knifecenter exclusive with Pakkawood and Rex45? ;)

Such a lovely idea. My Watu in my left pocket right now would certainly be most jealous. :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I would buy another Watu if they come out with a CPM-M4 or REX-45 sprint. Same for the original Chokwe. The ethnic series in general, and these in particular, just scream for a carbon steel that will take a patina.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:54 pm
Base model is 20CV ...
I was close enough :D

Actually, the idea of carbon/tool steel is very interesting, this knife with some nice blue and grey patina would look awesome.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It really is a nice knife as it is. A lot of people don't like carbon fiber these days, but I've always loved it. It's easy to customize your Watu though, make it feel like your own sprint/exclusive. :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:58 pm
Hi Lumpy,

sal
A watu with 51200 sounds fantastic too. I figured we wouldn’t actually see super blue or any Japanese steels on the Taichung models, but I can always dream! :o