No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby elena86 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:28 am

This is a mistery to me. The Watu is such a gorgeous good allaround edc, it performs like a champ and yet it seems quite overlooked. No sprints or exclusives so far. It seems the Smock gets more love and I wonder why. I would kill for a blue Crucarta Watu not to mention one in LC200N with lime green G10 scales. Time will tell ... maybe it’s too soon.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 3348
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby Mushroom » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:37 am

It has only been out for a little over 6 months, I would also guess it's just too soon right now. It would be an anomaly to me if it were to already be getting a sprint or exclusive.

It is definitely possible that it will be sprinted or get an exclusive though.
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22829
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby Evil D » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:38 am

There have been so many that I really expected would have sprints but never did. There must be something behind the scenes that dictates it.
How you carry yourself is just as important as what you carry.
~David

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 6419
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby Sharp Guy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:39 am

I want to buy a Watu but I already have several knives with similar CF scales. So, like the Smock, I'm hoping that someone does an exclusive that appeals to me. Knowing how long exclusives take to get into production I haven't really expected to see one any time soon.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby Pancake » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:41 am

It's a bit too soon, but I would say it is a quite popular model, so it is a matter of time.
But the base model is a quite exclusive even right now, CF laminate and M390(?) You don't see on every model.
Dealer exclusive is always possible, maybe DLT with red G10 and 20CV? Or someone else with other combination.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby elena86 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:54 pm

Pancake wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:41 am
It's a bit too soon, but I would say it is a quite popular model, so it is a matter of time.
But the base model is a quite exclusive even right now, CF laminate and M390(?) You don't see on every model.
Dealer exclusive is always possible, maybe DLT with red G10 and 20CV? Or someone else with other combination.
Base model is 20CV ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 4136
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby JuPaul » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 pm

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:39 am
I want to buy a Watu but I already have several knives with similar CF scales. So, like the Smock, I'm hoping that someone does an exclusive that appeals to me. Knowing how long exclusives take to get into production I haven't really expected to see one any time soon.
Same. If aftermarket scales were more common I'd think about it now. But as it is, I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
Abyss_Fish
Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:23 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby Abyss_Fish » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:46 pm

I'll be all over it like white on rice the second one is available. With how thin the blade is I'd love to see some really high performance steels like Rex45, 10v, or even s90v. Something to really push that blade to it's limits.

And of course I wouldn't be disappointed if an lc200n sprint came around :D
Patiently waiting for the smallfly 2.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, Native G10 salt, Native FRN s90v, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, s90v, 3v Runner ups: 20cv/m390/304p, cts-xhp

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 6419
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby Sharp Guy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:22 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:39 am
I want to buy a Watu but I already have several knives with similar CF scales. So, like the Smock, I'm hoping that someone does an exclusive that appeals to me. Knowing how long exclusives take to get into production I haven't really expected to see one any time soon.
Same. If aftermarket scales were more common I'd think about it now. But as it is, I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed.
I've seen some nice scales for it but I'm not too thrilled about spending a lot of $ for a knife and immediately adding a set of pricey scales. However I do like 20CV so it's not totally out of the question. It's a regular production model so I'll wait awhile and see what happens
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 4136
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby JuPaul » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:43 pm

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:22 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:39 am
I want to buy a Watu but I already have several knives with similar CF scales. So, like the Smock, I'm hoping that someone does an exclusive that appeals to me. Knowing how long exclusives take to get into production I haven't really expected to see one any time soon.
Same. If aftermarket scales were more common I'd think about it now. But as it is, I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed.
I've seen some nice scales for it but I'm not too thrilled about spending a lot of $ for a knife and immediately adding a set of pricey scales. However I do like 20CV so it's not totally out of the question. It's a regular production model so I'll wait awhile and see what happens
Exactly. The wood scales people here have gotten are gorgeous, but they're definitely an investment. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby Sumdumguy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:24 pm

BHQ M4 would get my money.

Or an LC200N Salt version ;)

User avatar
Lumpy
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:41 pm

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby Lumpy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:35 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:24 pm
BHQ M4 would get my money.

Or an LC200N Salt version ;)
I second that blade hq version. Generally I find the jade G10 really hit or miss aesthetically, but the watu would be great in that configuration. Plus I don’t have any m4 blades so it’s a perfect excuse to buy a second watu :)

I’d also really dig a Japanese steel like super blue or something in that realm. That thin blade would be great in SB or v-toku.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 14461
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby sal » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:58 pm

Hi Lumpy,

The Watu is made in Taichung, Taiwan so we more than likely use a USA steel like 52100 instead of Supere Blue, or some other USA made steel.

sal

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby captnvegtble » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:33 pm

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:58 pm
Hi Lumpy,

The Watu is made in Taichung, Taiwan so we more than likely use a USA steel like 52100 instead of Supere Blue, or some other USA made steel.

sal
Hi Sal,
How about Rex 45?

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 3348
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby Mushroom » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:46 pm

Knifecenter exclusive with Pakkawood and Rex45? ;)
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
nerdlock
Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:43 am

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby nerdlock » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:51 pm

The steel and the handle construction of the Watu itself is already equivalent to Sprints/exclusives. Don't know how much more could they improve this awesome knife other than wooden scales.

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:46 pm
Knifecenter exclusive with Pakkawood and Rex45? ;)

Such a lovely idea. My Watu in my left pocket right now would certainly be most jealous. :D
VG10:S30V:S45VN:SPY27:LC200N:XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:M4:Rex-45:K390:Maxamet

yowzer
Member
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:27 pm
Location: Near Seattle

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby yowzer » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:44 pm

I would buy another Watu if they come out with a CPM-M4 or REX-45 sprint. Same for the original Chokwe. The ethnic series in general, and these in particular, just scream for a carbon steel that will take a patina.

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby Pancake » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:17 pm

elena86 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:54 pm
Base model is 20CV ...
I was close enough :D

Actually, the idea of carbon/tool steel is very interesting, this knife with some nice blue and grey patina would look awesome.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:29 pm

It really is a nice knife as it is. A lot of people don't like carbon fiber these days, but I've always loved it. It's easy to customize your Watu though, make it feel like your own sprint/exclusive. :cool:
21 :spyder:'s in 14 different steels
1- Zero Tolerance 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - Bradford Guardian 3/Wharnie Vanadis 4E

-Rick

User avatar
Lumpy
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:41 pm

Re: No sprints and/or exclusives for the Watu ?!

Postby Lumpy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:25 am

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:58 pm
Hi Lumpy,

The Watu is made in Taichung, Taiwan so we more than likely use a USA steel like 52100 instead of Supere Blue, or some other USA made steel.

sal
A watu with 51200 sounds fantastic too. I figured we wouldn’t actually see super blue or any Japanese steels on the Taichung models, but I can always dream! :o


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baron Mind, buckleys, elena86, Google [Bot], JMM, skeeg11, SpyderGrill, Wartstein and 25 guests