The Perils of HIGH TECH Addiction

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: The Perils of HIGH TECH Addiction

Post by James Y »

Oh, I have no doubt that there is subliminal mind control being put through electronic devices and other things, such as music and movies.

Even way back in the ‘70s, it was reported that George Lucas had a team of psychics (or witches) on the set of the first Star Wars movie, to stand in a circle sending positive energy into the reels of film during filming, to draw huge audiences and influence them to want to see the movie over and over again, so that it would become a mega-hit. Many people, including some I knew, went to see Star Wars literally dozens of times during its original theatrical run. Now, if that’s the only intended purpose it was for, then that particular example wasn’t necessarily negative. The movie very well could have become the mega-hit that it became without that. But that’s only one example.

If subliminal influences like these can be used for benign reasons, they can also be used for deeper and more insidious reasons. Whether anybody else believes it or not, the people who are doing it certainly believe in it. And they wouldn’t be doing it if it didn’t work. And any methods used today would be far more technologically sophisticated.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I missed being a boomer by a year, well 3 months... I am 55... '1964 is a boomer, I am '1965.. so....

We didn't even have computer or cell phones when I was growing up.

I am however into computers because of gaming, we went to the arcades when we were young. Things just progress over the years to gaming on PCs.

As far as cell phones go, I don't really care one way or the other personally as I don't live on my smart phone.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think it is all out of control. It is too much of a good thing. I say Kudos to parents who will not give their kids cell phones until they are older. However, with modern jobs and the way school is taught, if kids do not have iPads and computers they are not going to compete. No phones and etc. is not the solution. Making them leave the phones inside and go out and be a kid is a better solution.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I work in a employment office where we help young people find jobs. I've come across a group of "Gamers" that are so addicted that they rather work minimum hours and live in poverty so they have enough time for their games.

But even myself I hate to admit it but I'm 40 and a little too addicted to things like facebook. I collect a lot of stuff that is time sensitive (Lots of people looking). So I check marketplace a few times, but then I end up reading my friends posts etc.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

cbrstar wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:37 am
I work in a employment office where we help young people find jobs. I've come across a group of "Gamers" that are so addicted that they rather work minimum hours and live in poverty so they have enough time for their games.

But even myself I hate to admit it but I'm 40 and a little too addicted to things like facebook. I collect a lot of stuff that is time sensitive (Lots of people looking). So I check marketplace a few times, but then I end up reading my friends posts etc.
One of the best things I ever did was get off Facebook. I only wanted to talk to my friends, keep in touch. Then it started suggesting people for me to add. Then posts from people I didn't even know. Then all the negativity. Yea, Facebook is a dump.

Now I just call or text those friends.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:44 pm
cbrstar wrote:

One of the best things I ever did was get off Facebook. I only wanted to talk to my friends, keep in touch. Then it started suggesting people for me to add. Then posts from people I didn't even know. Then all the negativity. Yea, Facebook is a dump.

I find that quite interesting "Soc Monki" because I've got two friends who I sincerely believe are completely addicted to Facebook and Twitter both. One day I was hanging out with one of my lady friends. She literally broke down and start crying over what some other person said about her on Facebook :( That isn't the only time I've seen stuff like that happen on these social media websites.

I read sometime back that teen suicide linked to Facebook activity is actually quite frequent over the entire nation. With all of that considered it does seem like there is a "mind control" aspect to all of these social media websites.

I joined this forum back in 2004 along with Bladeforums and 4 other specialty forums I've joined over the years. I like the fact that we all have a commonality on these types of forums. Here at Spyderville we all share similar interests and we have proper monitoring and things are kept in good order most of the time. I've never ever joined Facebook, Twitter, My Space or any of the other social media websites and I have no intention of ever doing it either. I seen so many red flags associated with those types of websites over the years and I've heard of so many more bad things involved with those social media sites.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:32 am
soc_monki wrote:
cbrstar wrote:

I find that quite interesting "Soc Monki" because I've got two friends who I sincerely believe are completely addicted to Facebook and Twitter both. One day I was hanging out with one of my lady friends. She literally broke down and start crying over what some other person said about her on Facebook :( That isn't the only time I've seen stuff like that happen on these social media websites.

I read sometime back that teen suicide linked to Facebook activity is actually quite frequent over the entire nation. With all of that considered it does seem like there is a "mind control" aspect to all of these social media websites.

I joined this forum back in 2004 along with Bladeforums and 4 other specialty forums I've joined over the years. I like the fact that we all have a commonality on these types of forums. Here at Spyderville we all share similar interests and we have proper monitoring and things are kept in good order most of the time. I've never ever joined Facebook, Twitter, My Space or any of the other social media websites and I have no intention of ever doing it either. I seen so many red flags associated with those types of websites over the years and I've heard of so many more bad things involved with those social media sites.
I wouldn't say it is mind control, but more that people have trouble being objective, critical thinking skills are pretty low, and in general people don't like making descisions. They let other people make decisions or research for them, and then go along with it. Sadly, my mother is one of these people. She won't listen to me at all and we clash on a lot of things that I won't get into here (no politics!). I told her to get off Facebook and to start looking at multiple outlets for her news, and to research MANY sources and come to her own conclusions. She still hasn't gotten off Facebook. I can only lead a horse to water...

I remember always being told to be wary of the internet, and to never blindly believe what I read, and only half of what I see. I guess one of the ones who taught me this has forgotten that lesson. Still love my mom (she's coming over today for our Thanksgiving!) but I wish she would just listen to my opinion and do a little research on her own.

Part of it is also the Herd Mentality. If so many are believing this, so it must be true, and I need to go along with the Herd. Again, goes along with critical thinking and making decisions for yourself and not just blindly following an ideology or a strong persona. Lots of terrible things happen when people blindly follow for one reason or another. One reason I have a very small circle of friends, and I mean VERY small.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:41 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:32 am
soc_monki wrote:
cbrstar wrote:

I wouldn't say it is mind control, but more that people have trouble being objective, critical thinking skills are pretty low, and in general people don't like making descisions. They let other people make decisions or research for them, and then go along with it. Sadly, my mother is one of these people. She won't listen to me at all and we clash on a lot of things that I won't get into here (no politics!). I told her to get off Facebook and to start looking at multiple outlets for her news, and to research MANY sources and come to her own conclusions. She still hasn't gotten off Facebook. I can only lead a horse to water...

I remember always being told to be wary of the internet, and to never blindly believe what I read, and only half of what I see. I guess one of the ones who taught me this has forgotten that lesson. Still love my mom (she's coming over today for our Thanksgiving!) but I wish she would just listen to my opinion and do a little research on her own.

Part of it is also the Herd Mentality. If so many are believing this, so it must be true, and I need to go along with the Herd. Again, goes along with critical thinking and making decisions for yourself and not just blindly following an ideology or a strong persona. Lots of terrible things happen when people blindly follow for one reason or another. One reason I have a very small circle of friends, and I mean VERY small.

How true... :)

The herd mentality has always made me laugh, the blind following the blind really. :D

Someone have a thought on their own? Or do something like think? We can't have that now can we? :rolleyes:

People in general like or need to be told what they want to hear and or to validate their own opinions or whatever. :rolleyes:

I never blindly believe anything, no matter who says it, I always check to see if it's valid or even true in the 1st place.

And from multiple respectable sources.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I still have a Facebook account, but only because back when I was studying acting and auditioning for parts, you were required to have a Facebook account and join a ‘private group’, because that’s how notifications were given, such as when/where/what time to show up to at the shooting location. Although I no longer do that, I belong to another private group having to do with my personal development. Other than that, I don’t even go on to Facebook. I’ve always had trouble posting on Facebook, so other than receiving notifications and reading certain private messages among the group, I don’t participate. I’ve never had any problems on Facebook, though.

Facebook is a tool, like anything else. There are some evil people on Facebook to be sure, but Facebook in itself isn’t evil. In the same manner, knives by themselves aren’t evil because some evil people misuse them to harm others. And like anything, over-indulgence in, and over-identification with anything, including Facebook, isn’t good.

I have never followed the herd mentality, and have always followed my own intuition. I know people who have never been on Facebook, and who can still barely navigate even the most rudimentary things on the internet like email, yet who follow the herd mentality, almost like cult members. They were among the people who believed the fraud, Harold Camping, that the world was going to end, both in 1994, and again in 2011. They are also easily influenced by other equally stupid and obvious personality cults. Ultimately, it’s we ourselves who are responsible for who and what we are.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:14 am
I still have a Facebook account, but only because back when I was studying acting and auditioning for parts, you were required to have a Facebook account and join a ‘private group’, because that’s how notifications were given, such as when/where/what time to show up to at the shooting location. Although I no longer do that, I belong to another private group having to do with my personal development. Other than that, I don’t even go on to Facebook. I’ve always had trouble posting on Facebook, so other than receiving notifications and reading certain private messages among the group, I don’t participate. I’ve never had any problems on Facebook, though.

Facebook is a tool, like anything else. There are some evil people on Facebook to be sure, but Facebook in itself isn’t evil. In the same manner, knives by themselves aren’t evil because some evil people misuse them to harm others. And like anything, over-indulgence in, and over-identification with anything, including Facebook, isn’t good.

I have never followed the herd mentality, and have always followed my own intuition. I know people who have never been on Facebook, and who can still barely navigate even the most rudimentary things on the internet like email, yet who follow the herd mentality, almost like cult members. They were among the people who believed the fraud, Harold Camping, that the world was going to end, both in 1994, and again in 2011. They are also easily influenced by other equally stupid and obvious personality cults. Ultimately, it’s we ourselves who are responsible for who and what we are.

Jim

Jim,

Yeah, the really interesting thing about Facebook is most of the ones I keep in contact with I was in school with etc.

People post their whole lives on it.... :rolleyes:

That I just don't understand personally, the things that show up on my feed I would never post out there myself.

Yeah, there are some seriously screwed up people on Facebook, and I mean really messed up, should be in a padded room etc.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:46 am
James Y wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:14 am

Jim

Jim,

Yeah, the really interesting thing about Facebook is most of the ones I keep in contact with I was in school with etc.

People post their whole lives on it.... :rolleyes:

That I just don't understand personally, the things that show up on my feed I would never post out there myself.

Yeah, there are some seriously screwed up people on Facebook, and I mean really messed up, should be in a padded room etc.

Jim

Jim,

That’s one of the many reasons I’m almost never on Facebook (besides being seemingly unable to actually post things myself). And even with the personal development group I’m currently a part of on Facebook, my main contacts with them are through a private website, email, and through Skype meetings, and not through Facebook.

I’ve reconnected with a couple people I knew all the way back from kindergarten through high school. They definitely post a lot, but luckily, none of them are weirdos.

The time I spend on FB is so limited, almost nonexistent, that I’ve avoided the weirdos and trolls.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With all due respect to Soc Monki I have to disagree and assert that some of these social media sites are indeed a form of mind control. When you have people that go as far as to commit suicide and forsake all of their friends, family and life's obligations It goes beyond being a member of a club or the attributes of belonging to a club or being a lodge member. The allegiance to these social media sites truly do fall under the true definition of "brain washing" and/or "mind control". Just like the lady I mentioned in a earlier post who started crying because of what someone said about her on Facebook. It's astounding to see what people will do to comply and fit into the protocol of these social media sites. It's like they give their very soul to be a part of these social media sites.

It's truly like a cult following when people will forsake all their other obligations of life just to fit into these cliques of social media. If I'm wrong I would like to know why? Because I've seen these social media sites literally hijack people's lives. That same lady I mentioned earlier is literally spending 6 to 10 hours a day on Facebook and similar websites. I don't know what else you could call that other than a form of cult-like mind control. It's not a healthy interaction any way you look at it.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:44 am
With all due respect to Soc Monki I have to disagree and assert that some of these social media sites are indeed a form of mind control. When you have people that go as far as to commit suicide and forsake all of their friends, family and life's obligations It goes beyond being a member of a club or the attributes of belonging to a club or being a lodge member. The allegiance to these social media sites truly do fall under the true definition of "brain washing" and/or "mind control". Just like the lady I mentioned in a earlier post who started crying because of what someone said about her on Facebook. It's astounding to see what people will do to comply and fit into the protocol of these social media sites. It's like they give their very soul to be a part of these social media sites.

It's truly like a cult following when people will forsake all their other obligations of life just to fit into these cliques of social media. If I'm wrong I would like to know why? Because I've seen these social media sites literally hijack people's lives. That same lady I mentioned earlier is literally spending 6 to 10 hours a day on Facebook and similar websites. I don't know what else you could call that other than a form of cult-like mind control. It's not a healthy interaction any way you look at it.
I respect your opinion. I believe, however, that it is not mind control. The case with your friend is simply the fact that many people (most people maybe?) have an overwhelming need to be accepted and praised, and can't take any form of criticism. Or maybe it's just good ole saying mean things behind someone's back. It happened before social media, it will continue to happen with social media. I just shrug it off because anyone who has something to say about me can say it to me, and whatever they say on some random site has no effect on me. Sticks and stones, etc. Some people just can't handle that, they have to have good things said about them constantly or they just break down (fragile personality?). I've known many people like this and I just tell them to ignore it, don't let what someone else says dominate their life. And some people just can't let it go. It's really just high school all over again. Some people can't grow out of that high school mentality.

As for the people who get addicted to social media...some people have very addictive personalities. You see it with drug users, people addicted to alcohol, etc. They will go to AA meetings or what have you, and they latch on to something else (often Religion), and they didn't cure their addiction. They just traded one addiction for another. That is not curing addiction, it's redirecting it. Same with social media. The impulse to get everyone to like you and elevate your ego, getting that dopamine rush when someone likes the post of what you had for breakfast...it's addiction, not mind control.

I too fell into wanting everyone on my friend's list to like my posts, or comment on something stupid I posted. It can happen. I got out of that though, realized how it was actually making me feel, and cut it out of my life. I don't like feeling that need, of wanting to check every few minutes if someone posted something or replied to one of my posts. It's pointless. I have much better ways to spend my time during the day, like playing with my son or spending quality time with my wife. Real life trumps all!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

One thing that gets me and shows the difference between me and maybe my generation and my sons is privacy. It is something I value. He showed me how his smart phone is listening to our conversations and coming up with products for sale. For example we were talking refrigerators. Next thing without prompting the phone was displaying ads for them at local stores. He showed me other examples too. When I asked him why he tolerates it he just shrugged.

If I couldn't shut that feature down I'd get rid of it. He just doesn't care. He also has a smart watch that does the same as his phone and could replace it. Why he needs both I couldn't say. I'm not sure he can either. Together they cost more than a few cars and trucks I've owned in the past.

Things that I demand and would fight for he just seems to be indifferent to. He also has a gaming console and a virtue reality headset thing. He plays some of the same games as I do with my desktop but he does it in VR. :)

Joe
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:31 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:44 am

I respect your opinion. I believe, however, that it is not mind control. The case with your friend is simply the fact that many people (most people maybe?) have an overwhelming need to be accepted and praised, and can't take any form of criticism. Or maybe it's just good ole saying mean things behind someone's back. It happened before social media, it will continue to happen with social media. I just shrug it off because anyone who has something to say about me can say it to me, and whatever they say on some random site has no effect on me. Sticks and stones, etc. Some people just can't handle that, they have to have good things said about them constantly or they just break down (fragile personality?). I've known many people like this and I just tell them to ignore it, don't let what someone else says dominate their life. And some people just can't let it go. It's really just high school all over again. Some people can't grow out of that high school mentality.

As for the people who get addicted to social media...some people have very addictive personalities. You see it with drug users, people addicted to alcohol, etc. They will go to AA meetings or what have you, and they latch on to something else (often Religion), and they didn't cure their addiction. They just traded one addiction for another. That is not curing addiction, it's redirecting it. Same with social media. The impulse to get everyone to like you and elevate your ego, getting that dopamine rush when someone likes the post of what you had for breakfast...it's addiction, not mind control.

I too fell into wanting everyone on my friend's list to like my posts, or comment on something stupid I posted. It can happen. I got out of that though, realized how it was actually making me feel, and cut it out of my life. I don't like feeling that need, of wanting to check every few minutes if someone posted something or replied to one of my posts. It's pointless. I have much better ways to spend my time during the day, like playing with my son or spending quality time with my wife. Real life trumps all!

I think you hit the nail on the head.

It's more a personally thing, or how people have been raised etc.

People get offended by anything and everything these days.

You can't even disagree with people now or they get offended.

The everyone gets a trophy generation maybe has spilled out some...?

Yeah, that high school mentality, some never get out of it....

That herd mentality issue...

For some reason and I really don't know why people seem to believe that all of their options are equally important to everyone else's no matter the topic. The statement that everyone's opinions are equal comes to mind.

This is just simply not true, not in the real world anyway.

A simple example would be if you need your car fixed you don't call a plumber, you call an auto mechanic.

I have actually had to come out and actually tell people I really don't care what they think.....

If I want someone's opinion I will ask them for it, if not then I really don't want to hear it because I really don't care what they think.
Last edited by Ankerson on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

EDIT: hit the wrong button.
Last edited by Ankerson on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

EDIT.... Mistake.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:24 am
One thing that gets me and shows the difference between me and maybe my generation and my sons is privacy. It is something I value. He showed me how his smart phone is listening to our conversations and coming up with products for sale. For example we were talking refrigerators. Next thing without prompting the phone was displaying ads for them at local stores. He showed me other examples too. When I asked him why he tolerates it he just shrugged.

If I couldn't shut that feature down I'd get rid of it. He just doesn't care. He also has a smart watch that does the same as his phone and could replace it. Why he needs both I couldn't say. I'm not sure he can either. Together they cost more than a few cars and trucks I've owned in the past.

Things that I demand and would fight for he just seems to be indifferent to. He also has a gaming console and a virtue reality headset thing. He plays some of the same games as I do with my desktop but he does it in VR. :)

Joe
I’ve been a bit freaked by that happening but didn’t realise it can be turned off! Thanks!

I’ve also experienced apps identify whom I’m sitting with, I guess by IP address proximity? It’s a bit worrying. I don’t mind so much companies trying to sell me stuff, but it’s the possibility of helping anyone with sinister intent.
James Y

Post by James Y »

One thing I’ve noticed about the mostly under-40 generation is a general lack of basic social skills. Not everyone, mind you, but a good percentage of the ones I see. Many seem to walk around (when they do actually go out and walk) with a sullen attitude. Some almost come across as slightly paranoid. Others have an attitude of “If I don’t pay attention and acknowledge something, it doesn’t exist.” Meaning, “If I’m on my phone, ignore traffic, and just walk out into the intersection as slow as a tortoise, staring at my phone, I’m not taking any risk, because I’m not looking.”

Personally, I don’t give a (bleep) what anyone thinks of me, other than how clients see me as a professional in my field. Long before social media, I had people who made completely inaccurate, stupid, and sometimes insulting judgments about me as a person. I didn’t care then and I don’t now. If there’s someone who has a problem with me, they can tell me directly to my face. Of course, the people who gossip and troll about other people never have the courage to say something face to face. Therefore, such ‘people’ and what they think have no importance to my life whatsoever.

One thing I’ve noticed about people who like trolling others is that they, themselves, are the most easily triggered when they feel they aren’t being respected. Funny, huh? One more reason such people aren’t worth more than a second of my attention.

Many younger people, though, have never known a world without social media. For many, it’s social media that defines the world and themselves. Which goes back to the lack of socialization.

Although my personality is more introverted, my social skills are well-developed and work just fine. Many social media junkies’ online personas come across as extroverted and successful; but in reality, many can’t handle dealing directly with other people as they’d like others to believe.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:59 pm
One thing I’ve noticed about the mostly under-40 generation is a general lack of basic social skills. Not everyone, mind you, but a good percentage of the ones I see. Many seem to walk around (when they do actually go out and walk) with a sullen attitude. Some almost come across as slightly paranoid. Others have an attitude of “If I don’t pay attention and acknowledge something, it doesn’t exist.” Meaning, “If I’m on my phone, ignore traffic, and just walk out into the intersection as slow as a tortoise, staring at my phone, I’m not taking any risk, because I’m not looking.”

Personally, I don’t give a (bleep) what anyone thinks of me, other than how clients see me as a professional in my field. Long before social media, I had people who made completely inaccurate, stupid, and sometimes insulting judgments about me as a person. I didn’t care then and I don’t now. If there’s someone who has a problem with me, they can tell me directly to my face. Of course, the people who troll online to and about other people never have the courage to say something face to face. Therefore, such ‘people’ and what they think have no importance to my life whatsoever.

One thing I’ve noticed about people who like trolling others is that they, themselves, are the most easily triggered when they feel they aren’t being respected. Funny, huh? One more reason such people aren’t worth more than a second of my attention.

Many younger people, though, have never known a world without social media. For many, it’s social media that defines the world and themselves. Which goes back to the lack of socialization.

Although my personality is more introverted, my social skills are well-developed and work just fine. Many social media junkies’ online personas come across as extroverted and successful; but in reality, many can’t handle dealing directly with other people as they’d like others to believe.

Jim

Jim,

Oh yeah isn't that the truth. :D

I see it all the time, people that troll others, but they are the ones who have been triggered in the end.

Usually it only takes a simple difference of opinion that is different than theirs.

Then they go off the deep end.

It's that self importance issue, they feel the whole world should stop and listen to them because they are just that important.

That and the ones who need to have EVERYONE know what they are doing and or just seem to need to be the center of attention all the time.... OH LOOK AT ME AND WHAT I AM DOING..... :rolleyes:

Personally I believe it's pathedic. ;)