A call for help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Re: A call for help

Post by Abyss_Fish »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:41 pm
Sharpening would also be a good distraction.
I've got a kme. My waterway could use a touch up, and I haven't sharpened my rhino at all...

Not a bad use of a day.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Sorry to hear that, Abyss. I hope the symptoms are mild for you.

I’ve also been checking out ‘different’ types of designs recently, as I have enough Spydies for my everyday user cutting tools.

The Emerson Matriarch is pretty cool.

The Seki K390 series deserves a look if you don’t have any.

Did you try the LC200N SE Pac Salt yet?

I just got the Proficient and the Chinook 4 out of curiosity. They’re both cool knives.

I’m not sure I can use the Chinook much for my EDC purposes, but I’ll thin out the fat edge and give it a go. The rock solid Powerlock is awesome.

I highly recommend the Proficient. I also second the suggestion to spend some of your q time on refining your sharpening skills.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sorry that you’ve tested positive, and I’m hoping your symptoms remain mild, with a quick recovery.

I don’t have any better knife suggestions for you than have already been mentioned.

As far as binging TV shows, IMO, one of the funniest shows is Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Jim
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Get better quickly! Binge watching recommendations: X-Files. Knife: I'll second(or third) the Province. In my 1st uses, I thought the handle was too blocky, but after using it for a bit it started to make sense.

Some serrations in a fixed blade like the jumpmaster may hit the spot 🤔
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

Get a mule and fashion yourself some handle scales. That'll kill some time
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I'd find an rc model to build while quarantined in my own home. I hope you find a great new hobby and stay mild and brief
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sorry to hear you got Covid! I can fully understand how annoying it must be to be quarantined.. I could not handle that easily either. All the best to you anyway! :)

As for knives to try, like everyone here I´ll recommend what I personally find outstanding among Spydercos anyway outstanding lineup ;):

- Stretch 1 (discontinued):
For me one of the "spyderco-ishest" Spydercos. A real classic and one of the most distinctive examples for the "form follows function" approach. Looks really "funky" at first (even more so than the current Stretch 2), especially the blade shape, but has perfect ergos and a very thinly ground out and amazingly performing blade.
What else is to like or discover with this model?:
- The long totally straight section in the edge before it raises to the belly: Almost all Spydies (that are not wharnies or sheepsfoot) have a more or less pronounced curve in the edge that starts very close to the heel (some just really subtle though). The long, straight edge section of the Stretch-edge makes a noticeable difference, especially in whittling (where the Stretch works better than lets say the very curved-edged Manix)
- The great edge/blade-to-handle-ratio: The Stretch 1 packs a lot of blade and edge in the handle, even more so than the new Rockjumper with its "edge all the way to the handle" design. When closed it is really not THAT much longer than a Delica or Para 3, but has more blade and cutting edge than a even a PM2.
- The shallow choil: For some this shallow choil might feel a bit "insecure", but for me it gives one more control than most deeper choils.
- Can still be found in HAP 40, which is an amazing steel (since you mentioned BBB: I think they still have the Stretch 1 both in VG10 and HAP40).

Chaparral:
Well, you said you´ll get one anyway (maple) :) - so let me just say: Enjoy the built quality, the rock solid, perfectly executed backlock and the uniquely thin ffg blade! Don´t hesitate to use it hard, this knife and blade can take it and will outperform most thicker bladed Spydies in many tasks!

Endela SE:
To be clear: I don´t have experience with too many serrated Spydies, but as far as I can tell the Endela SE seems to have the perfect (shallow!) serration pattern in ffg for most "normal" knife tasks. Judging from pics and knives I could handle many others (including the new Rock Jumper), have a bit "deeper" more aggressive serrations that perhaps need some sharpening / smoothing out before performing perfectly well outside harder tasks like rope cutting and the like..

/ Let us know what you got yourself! :)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Fish

Get a 10X - 12X Loupe. It will be your number one teacher when sharpening./

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 pm
Hey Fish

sal

+1.
This was perhaps the best tip Sal and others gave me. My sharpening skill clearly have improved since I got one.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Bench stones and freehand sharpening. Thin down those thick edges. Experiment.

Unfortunate about the infection. I think most of us are going to get it (maybe more than once), or already have.

Keep your immune system healthy and good luck.
RandomNick

Post by RandomNick »

:(
bdblue wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:17 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:04 pm
if you like Star Trek, have you seen Battlestar Galactica? It'd be a great quarantine binge.
I second that. I've been Watching the entire series of House recently, one of our cable channels has been playing them in order, but I don't think I could binge watch it.
I'll third that and throw a couple of other suggestions in too.
Farscape
Babylon 5

All three are excellent series that will keep you busy for quite a while.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Best wishes and speedy recovery too you Fish. You already have what I consider the best Spyderco product, the community and support from other Spyder Fans.

As far as I can understand staying busy with knives indoors.... Start with 2, 2X10' boards and a 2 sheets of plywood. Then, Spyder Throwers. One sheet leaning on the wall, one on the floor, lean up the 2X10's and thwack away. Ok, maybe it is silly throwing knives in the house but when it hits -30c here I do it. A small indoor setup can be surprisingly good for a sling shot range too. I have seen a custom indoor throwing setup made out of cardboard boxes which I like as it is cheep, easy, and requires cutting to make. Probably easier to deal with cardboard if you are feeling under the weather.

Take care.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Get better quickly. I hear The Expanse is a good show. It is on Amazon's video service.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Hoping you get through with no issues at all, and bless you and yours.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 pm
Hey Fish

sal
I never even thought of that. Getting one now.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
benben

Post by benben »

Sorry to hear Abyss, hoping you come through on the other side unscathed, praying this is over very quickly for you!

I’m going to go in another direction, get yourself a new pistol, I highly recommend a HK P30L, if you can find one? Either a new HK or a Glock, it’ll always be known to you as your Covid-19 pistol. ;)
olywa

Post by olywa »

Get a Goldenstone and build that freehand muscle memory. Add a Sharpie when you pick up that loupe.

I highly recommend Sal's new Rock Jumper as well. Mine has been a daily carry for over a month now.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi RandomNick,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:45 pm
Well I’ve just gotten the bad news. I’ve got covid. I live with two people who are susceptible and my girlfriend’s entire family is susceptible. So, more than likely I’m stuck in a single small room for the next few months. And I’m almost out of Star Trek to watch...

What’s the solution? More knives obviously. So I want some suggestions for something fun. I’m not as picky about materials or size as I usually am since I won’t be using it much. I just want something new and interesting to keep me mildly amused for a few weeks here. I am gonna get the smallfly and the maple chap when they come out but those seem like a ways away.
Well, the most important thing is to prioritize your health & well-being, as well as that of those who live with you. Individual responses to the virus can vary wildly... some people can go through it whilst showing very mild symptoms, and some come away with long-term complications. Control what you can control while self-isolating: eat healthy, drink plenty of fluids (not just beer LOL), maintain a regular exercise routine. Keep your mind engaged—read a book (or three), or if that's not your jam, learn a musical instrument (or learn a new song if you already play one), or play a long-form video game RPG. Your mind can be your best friend in isolation, but it can also turn on you if left idle long enough.

Knife-wise, this might be a good time to experiment with sharpening at steeper angles and conducting tests to see if they make any practical difference. And it's always good to practice freehand sharpening on traditional stones. It's a valuable practical skill, I think, but one that will become rarer and rarer as more and more people get into using guided systems and such.

Whatever you decide to do to occupy your time in isolation, I wish you all the best and hope for a speedy recovery and resolution.