Posters

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mini2white

Posters

Post by Mini2white »

I know most of you love Spyderco posters. Here are a couple I had scanned to send to Spyderco. Naturally they won't have the watermark for them. The "Critters" is approx 1m long and has a handwritten "7633 Spyderco #2" near the bottom. I have been a little busy and haven't been able to get these on my website as yet.

I know if I was given the chance I would buy any posters made available by Spyderco. I would think a few here would do the same.

Mushroom

Re: Posters

Post by Mushroom »

Mini2white wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:43 pm

I know if I was given the chance I would buy any posters made available by Spyderco. I would think a few here would do the same.
100% agreed!!!

Thanks for sharing. I would absolutely love having the "All gods critters" poster! :D
-Nick :bug-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Posters are always welcome!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Nice!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Over the years I've collected some of Spyderco's posters. I think the ones I got were intended for dealers that have shops to serve the public.

One poster I got that has a potential for a lot of controversy that I got in a trade way back in the late 90s. It is a Spyderco Poster advertising the original, first run C-40 Jot Singh Khalsa model. It has a picture of Jot Khalsa flying on a magic carpet on top of a prototype of the C-40 Khalsa model flying through the New York City skyline with the "Twin Towers" ( the ones destroyed in the 9-11 attack) in the background. I will admit that looking at that poster even gives me the creeps sometimes when I get it out to take a look at it.

Needless to say I don't have it hanging on any of my walls. But I do plan on keeping it for sure. I have other Spyderco Posters and advertising flyers and various other Spyderco memorabilia.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:02 pm
Over the years I've collected some of Spyderco's posters. I think the ones I got were intended for dealers that have shops to serve the public.

One poster I got that has a potential for a lot of controversy that I got in a trade way back in the late 90s. It is a Spyderco Poster advertising the original, first run C-40 Jot Singh Khalsa model. It has a picture of Jot Khalsa flying on a magic carpet on top of a prototype of the C-40 Khalsa model flying through the New York City skyline with the "Twin Towers" ( the ones destroyed in the 9-11 attack) in the background. I will admit that looking at that poster even gives me the creeps sometimes when I get it out to take a look at it.

Needless to say I don't have it hanging on any of my walls. But I do plan on keeping it for sure. I have other Spyderco Posters and advertising flyers and various other Spyderco memorabilia.
That sounds like a fascinating poster, JD. Certainly a unique part of Spyderco history and 100% worth keeping! :cool:
-Nick :bug-red
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

JD Spydo wrote:

I have an A4 version of the C40 image. I just wish I had been able to collect more of them over the years. The Critters one I have took almost 6 months to get flat enough to scan.
sal

Post by sal »

We also made a "critters" "T" shirt.

We have a poster maker in-house? We can make any poster or print a bunch if you want them? They do cost to print and ship. What do you want to pay fr them?

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JD Spydo wrote:

Oh wow, this one. Pretty, pretty creepy for sure and one that will ignite a firestorm of complaints if it was published today, given the image of Jot Singh Khalsa and the context of the ad. If it wasn't NYC in the background, it would have been pretty tame. I wonder what year was this published though? Jot Singh seemed young on the poster.

A "critter" reprint would be very nice. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
jdw

Post by jdw »

I think that it is appropriate to point out that a quick read of his bio will tell you that Jot is ethnically Indian, grew up in Boston, and follows a spiritual path of peace. Not exactly creepy.

Edit: Thanks Sal. I would buy a reprint of the Khalsa and Critters posters and pay whatever the going rate is that works out fair for both Spyderco and the loyalists.
Last edited by jdw on Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

jdw wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:10 am
I think that it is appropriate to point out that a quick read of his bio will tell you that Jot is ethnically Indian, grew up in Boston, and follows a spiritual path of peace. Not exactly creepy.

The "creepy" wasn't referring to Khalsa himself. Like I said, context matters. This is why I said that if it was published today - given how this current generation quickly believes in whatever the media publishes without even going into the context of the situation and the background and history - the poster would become a magnet of firestorm from "wokes" and social media warriors.

Creepy here refers to the context of Khalsa riding his self-designed knife like an airplane, with the NYC cityscape and the statue of Liberty AND the Twin Towers in the background. I'm pretty sure before 9/11 this was a pretty funny poster. Now I'm not so sure. There's a reason why @JD Spydo won't ever display his. You have to see the poster for yourself.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:18 pm

We have a poster maker in-house? We can make any poster or print a bunch if you want them? They do cost to print and ship. What do you want to pay fr them?

sal
I think that would be very popular! And Happy Thanksgiving Sal!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mini2white wrote:
I know most of you love Spyderco posters. Here are a couple I had scanned to send to Spyderco. Naturally they won't have the watermark for them. The "Critters" is approx 1m long and has a handwritten "7633 Spyderco #2" near the bottom. I have been a little busy and haven't been able to get these on my website as yet.

Nice, Mini2white! I have the top one, with the same 7633 Spyderco #2 markings, and also the matching 7633 Spyderco #1 with the knives alongside the artwork and a 16x24 Manix 2 LW poster from 2012.

If anyone's wondering, that's not a flash flare in the upper right corner, it's the moon and is part of the poster.

sal wrote:

sal

My house is decorated with Spyderco posters, MC Escher prints, and gun related tin signs, so I'd definitely be up for copies of any Spyderco poster I don't already have. :D Also, if poster versions of them were never made and the artwork still exists, I think poster versions of several other older catalog covers, most notably those of the 2000 and 2003 Dealer Catalogs would be of interest to quite a few here. I know I'd buy them in a heartbeat. As for price I'd be willing to pay, that would depend on size and quality. On quality paper, I'd say $15-$20, plus shipping, for a 16x24 and $25-$40, plus shipping, for a 24x36.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:01 am
Mini2white wrote:

Nice, Mini2white! I have the top one, with the same 7633 Spyderco #2 markings, and also the matching 7633 Spyderco #1 with the knives alongside the artwork and a 16x24 Manix 2 LW poster from 2012.

If anyone's wondering, that's not a flash flare in the upper right corner, it's the moon and is part of the poster.

sal wrote:

sal

My house is decorated with Spyderco posters, MC Escher prints, and gun related tin signs, so I'd definitely be up for copies of any Spyderco poster I don't already have. :D Also, if poster versions of them were never made and the artwork still exists, I think poster versions of several other older catalog covers, most notably those of the 2000 and 2003 Dealer Catalogs would be of interest to quite a few here. I know I'd buy them in a heartbeat. As for price I'd be willing to pay, that would depend on size and quality. On quality paper, I'd say $15-$20, plus shipping, for a 16x24 and $25-$40, plus shipping, for a 24x36.
Thank you Deacon. I have no idea on a going rate for US posters so that helped me alot. I would pay whatever price was asked. I would also buy any posters that were available.

Here is some inspiration. Sorry just ads but hopefully you have better examples.

Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

sal wrote:

sal
Thank you Sal, I hope Deacon was close with pricing plus shipping.

A new run of critters shirts with a slight change to original would be super awesome.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

A white or khaki t-shirt with that Bushcraft Blades image on it would be pretty cool, too.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:

Well, since he is a Sikh and not that other religion, it should not cause problems.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:19 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Well, since he is a Sikh and not that other religion, it should not cause problems.
The ignorant do not have the facilities for rationality.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the everyman.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

There was a poster "From the top of the world to the bottom of the sea." That was around for a little while, as well as the Critters one with the knives down the side.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Mini2white wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:44 pm
There was a poster "From the top of the world to the bottom of the sea." That was around for a little while, as well as the Critters one with the knives down the side.
I think I have a few of those stashed in my attic, I'll see if I can get them out for a few photos.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram