Which models bring out the best of each steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Which models bring out the best of each steel?

Post by GarageBoy »

I know this forum loves asking for each pattern to be available in every steel, but which patterns actually bring out the best in each steel?

I.e. - Cruwear/4v manix - big, stout folder with a strong/tough steel

Zdp-189/super blue Caly 3.5 - if it's not going to be tough, make it thin and slicey
JonLeBlanc

Re: Which models bring out the best of each steel?

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but what's that big chopper made out of O1?
That seems apropos d'usage.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
vivi

Post by vivi »

K390 Police.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

So is the ideal 4v folder the Manix 2 XL, the military, or something else?
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 pm
I'm really hoping a retailer runs a 4V Manix XL. Looking at how the M4 sprint did I think they'd sell out within a day. I'd help :cool:
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 pm
I'm really hoping a retailer runs a 4V Manix XL. Looking at how the M4 sprint did I think they'd sell out within a day. I'd help :cool:

I think 4V would really shine in a Military and Manix XL, as well as the Endura, Police, and Straight Spine Stretch XL. I'll bet we see the first two from St. Nick's in 2021. The others I am lobbying for!

I'd like to see some Delta 3V in some of these models as well. It would make a great folder steel for sure. AEB-L is another that would be great in any of these.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I really enjoy my Shaman in 4V...it makes a great harder use folder.
So it goes.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Thin slicey models bring out the best in ZDP-189. I’m thinking Caly line, FFG Delica, like that.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I've said so many times that when I got my M390 Military in a cool trade with a guy over at Bladeforums it totally changed what I expect from an EDC folder. The M390 Military has been my main EDC for a little over 4 years now and for right now I have no desire to replace it>> it's been that good. OH I know that there are probably better blade steels out there>> But M390 blade steel in a C-36 Military model just makes a super folder set up all the way!!

I've also got a Para2 with S110V which is pretty wicked as well. Great thread!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The workhorse Stretch 1 is great in HAP40. More than tough enough for that rather thin, slicey blade and holds an edge really well.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:04 pm
I know this forum loves asking for each pattern to be available in every steel, but which patterns actually bring out the best in each steel?

I.e. - Cruwear/4v manix - big, stout folder with a strong/tough steel

Zdp-189/super blue Caly 3.5 - if it's not going to be tough, make it thin and slicey
The reverse actually. The high carbide steels need thicker edges to reinforce the carbide to reduce the severity of chipping. Regarding "toughness," the definition of that word has been stretched so far by marketing and exaggeration that it is now almost meaningless.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Yes I think a steel like 4V need a super thin edge and high hardness to show off its toughness. Low toughness steels like ZDP-189 start to have chipping issues.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Most people are not going to be swing chopping with a folder, so a steel like a well hardened cruwear/4v let's you run thinner edges due to the lower carbides, and still have the strength for when you run into a brass staple or something?

Conversely, zdp/s110v/m4(?) etc should use a steeper edge bevel?

This is regardless of the thickness of the primary grind, right?

Thick primary - thick edge - poor cutter/excellent strength
Thick primary - thin edge - better cutter/retains strength for dumb things (cruwear/4v does well in knives like this?)
Thin primary/thin edge - sacrifice strength for cutting ability, needs low(er) carbide steels for edge stability
Thin primary/thicker edge - to support high carbide steels from chipping out?
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

The model you like the most :D

I look at it on a toughness scale. The longer/larger the blade, the tougher the steel should be. High edge retention/lower toughness on small folder, higher toughness on fixed blades
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I don't know if it necessarily brings out the best in the steel, but in my case pairing a high wear-resistance steel with a small knife design really highlights that particular attribute of the steel, especially if you can compare it to a more conventional steel in the same design.

Case in point: I could go at most a week of using the standard Dragonfly 2 in VG-10 as my primary work knife before needing to touch it up. It's not bad for a work knife (though it's not an ideal choice & it is the smallest knife I consider "work-capable" for my particular job), but because it has a short cutting edge, I find that I need to maintain the edge on it more often than on a larger knife. When I started using a Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189, I noticed I could go for over a month (sometimes even going for almost 2 months!) before needing to touch it up to get back to working sharpness. Because it's so much easier to "use up" the small cutting edge of the Dragonfly 2, it can really accentuate the differences in achievable Rockwell hardness & wear resistance in different steels.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Interesting thought
I used to think that having high edge retention steels on small knives was pointless - "how frequently can you use them?"
Turns out, little guys can do lots of work
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A bit of a carry over from the Fixed Blade thread ...

I think knives like the Sprig, Southfork ... and as Killer pointed out in What did use use your Spyderco for thread, the Proficient, bring out the best in steels like S90V. It’s better than great when you can fillet a brace of fish or dress out game and not need to touch up a knife half way through or even when you get home.

High wear and edge retention blades are good in pocket knives, no doubt, but I think you don’t truly see the value till you put those steels to task in a fixed blade work knife.

4V also comes to mind. Probably great in a pocket knife ... outstanding in a knife like the Province you can flog against the hardest of wood on the planet for no to very little effect on either the edge or the knife as a whole.

Personally, I feel “Super Steels” are mostly wasted on pocket knives used to cut sandwiches, peel fruit and open mail. A bit like putting a 18L V8 Turbo Diesel engine in a VW Beetle. Ah, hahaha! :eek:

Just my $AU0.02c worth. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:00 pm

Personally, I feel “Super Steels” are mostly wasted on pocket knives used to cut sandwiches, peel fruit and open mail. A bit like putting a 18L V8 Turbo Diesel engine in a VW Beetle. Ah, hahaha! :eek:

Funny. When I was sharpening my s110v native the other day, I imagined going on a family vacation in a Mack truck.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:22 am
Bloke wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:00 pm

Funny. When I was sharpening my s110v native the other day, I imagined going on a family vacation in a Mack truck.
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:

How’d it go John? Did you manage an atom splitting edge? I’m told it’s easily done with 18 different grades of diamond and CBN plates and 23 different grades of diamond paste and sprays on various strops. ;) :D
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The Ankerson Bowie in 4V is a great choice and I still want one. In stainless, the CPM 154 offering designed by Sal is as good as it gets.

Wish I could afford both.