A call for help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

A call for help

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Well I’ve just gotten the bad news. I’ve got covid. I live with two people who are susceptible and my girlfriend’s entire family is susceptible. So, more than likely I’m stuck in a single small room for the next few months. And I’m almost out of Star Trek to watch...

What’s the solution? More knives obviously. So I want some suggestions for something fun. I’m not as picky about materials or size as I usually am since I won’t be using it much. I just want something new and interesting to keep me mildly amused for a few weeks here. I am gonna get the smallfly and the maple chap when they come out but those seem like a ways away.

The only models I’ve handled that aren’t in my current collection are a few of the seki frn models, police frn, delica etc. And the ikuchi. Edit: I forgot the manix, the matriarch, and the dragonfly! Pretty much everything else would be new. Thanks for the suggestions in advance, y’all are always great. Have a good rest of the week.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
sal

Re: A call for help

Post by sal »

Hi Fish,

Sorry about your kink in the path. Thinking positively is one of the more important things to remember.

sal
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Get well soon! :spyder:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Well something fidgety seems in order! A Smock would be my suggestion.

Or maybe new scales for a current model so you have a project?

I hope you recover quickly and easily! My step-daughter just finished two weeks of quarantine at her mom's house. She tested positive after a friend from her school got sick, but was asymptomatic and luckily didn't spread it.

Edit to add: if you like Star Trek, have you seen Battlestar Galactica? It'd be a great quarantine binge.
Last edited by JuPaul on Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yiikes. Bad luck, A_F.

The good news is that at least you know and can take steps not to pass it on to the more vulnerable. Also, they reckon the antibodies after recovery last 6 months, by which time there will be a vaccine.

In the meanwhile, I hope it doesn’t get too grim.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I say get one of the K390 models from Seki.

That Matriarch is pretty fun to me.

My niece has been watching Grey's Anatomy, Blindspot is pretty entertaining, maybe watch Breaking Bad or Stranger Things. Go for some bike rides, explore, have a project to create something.

I hope covid treats you well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm sorry to hear that A_F! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

As to the knife, how about a Province and a very large junk* chunk of wood? :cool:

*typos and me are best buddies.
Last edited by JRinFL on Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Knives and video games...

That's what my quarantine would look like.

Good luck friend, hope you kick it quick.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I can't thank you all enough for the kind words. I'm for the most part asymptomatic, so I'm lucky there. But so many people around me are susceptible, I've just got to be careful. Also right now I'm getting oddly drawn towards the Shaman, if only the sprints weren't 300+ bucks, maybe I'll go for it anyways...

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:04 pm
Well something fidgety seems in order! A Smock would be my suggestion.

Or maybe new scales for a current model so you have a project?

I hope you recover quickly and easily! My step-daughter just finished two weeks of quarantine at her mom's house. She tested positive after a friend from her school got sick, but was asymptomatic and luckily didn't spread it.

Edit to add: if you like Star Trek, have you seen Battlestar Galactica? It'd be a great quarantine binge.
How's the smock compare to other comp locks? Especially Golden ones, I haven't really owned many comp locks other than the watu and ikuchi, and I'd love to try some different ones. Also I've never seen Battlestar Galactica, I better get to it!

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:10 pm
I'm sorry to hear that A_F! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

As to the knife, how about a Province and a very large junk of wood? :cool:
I like the idea of that... How comfortable is the handle on the Province? It seems like the ideal knife for bashing but I'm a little more drawn to the shape of something like the Sustain. It's a little sleeker.

edit: fixed a few grammatical goofs
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:38 pm
I can't thank you all enough for the kind words. I'm for the most part asymptomatic, so I'm lucky there. But so many people around me are susceptible, I've just got to be careful. Also right now I'm getting oddly drawn towards the Shaman, if only the sprints weren't 300+ bucks, maybe I'll go for it anyways...

JuPaul wrote:
How's the smock compare to other comp locks? Especially Golden ones, I haven't really owned many comp locks other than the watu and ikuchi, and I'd love to try some different ones. Also I've never seen Battlestar Galactica, I better get to it!
The Smock is different from other comp locks since it has a button on the show side that actually disengages the comp lock (rather than the usual tab on the spine). Combine that with the corner flipper tab, and you've got a knife that takes the comp lock's usual fidgetability to a whole new level. ;) But the Shaman is another favorite of mine - it's a big beefy tank with excellent ergos and scale contouring. Either of those excellent knives will help you get through this!

And just imo, Battlestar Galactica is the best sci-fi show ever made!
- Julia

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Perfect opportunity to come over to the Dark Side and get something with serrations and a Sharpmaker (if you don't have them already).

Otherwise I'm a big fan of Seinfeld, South Park, The Office, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Dexter, Futurama, Sons of Anarchy, Married With Children, King of The Hill...that should hold you down for a bit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:07 pm
Perfect opportunity to come over to the Dark Side and get something with serrations and a Sharpmaker (if you don't have them already).

Otherwise I'm a big fan of Seinfeld, South Park, The Office, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Dexter, Futurama, Sons of Anarchy, Married With Children, King of The Hill...that should hold you down for a bit.
Full serr shaman. Hmmmm.

Also I think another rewatch or Breaking Bad may kill me, King of the Hill on the other hand...
Lightly insane.

Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Anyone have experience with BentoBoxShop’s exclusives? I’m always eying their new old stock s90v military and full suite of 204p/m390 models.
Lightly insane.

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 pm
Anyone have experience with BentoBoxShop’s exclusives? I’m always eying their new old stock s90v military and full suite of 204p/m390 models.
I've got the BBS 204p Domino and their k390 pm2 and para3. That Military is on my wishlist. I personally think their exclusives are worth the $15 shipping.
- Julia

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:38 pm
I like the idea of that... How comfortable is the handle on the Province? It seems like the ideal knife for bashing but I'm a little more drawn to the shape of something like the Sustain. It's a little sleeker.
I have both of those knives and you cannot go wrong with either knife.

The Sustain seems light and fast in the hand.

The Province is more substantial.

I'm saving to buy two more, one of each, and I plan to sharpen the swedge on the Province and the top edge of the Sustain.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Get well soon! My S.O. was infected a few months ago due to her work as an E.R. nurse. It took 2 weeks of quarantine, lots of fruits, vegetables and hydration but she managed to fight thru with very minimal symptoms. I know you can fight it too. God bless you.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

JuPaul wrote:
if you like Star Trek, have you seen Battlestar Galactica? It'd be a great quarantine binge.
I second that. I've been Watching the entire series of House recently, one of our cable channels has been playing them in order, but I don't think I could binge watch it.

The OP could get a new sharpener and then sharpen everything in sight. He could get into leatherworking and make new sheaths for everything.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Watch The Office. You might like it. Lol.

Sharpening would also be a good distraction.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Ted Lasso is a great show on Apple TV+. I wouldn’t have paid for it, but just got a free year’s trial with the purchase of a new MacBook Air. There’s only one season of ten episodes, but there will be a second season.

Best wishes for a mild case and speedy recovery!
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:41 pm

Sharpening would also be a good distraction.
I agree with the sharpening part. Get a good sharpener, and you could spend hours on each knife getting it to a mirror edge. DO NOT START WITH YOUR BEST KNIFE!

The Smock, oh man, it's one knife I'm thinking about purchasing again. It's fidget city. My favorite compression lock so far :)

Hope you stay relatively unaffected. My 70-something year old dad had it, he's ok now, same for his sister, just a few years younger. Nephew now has it, lost sense of taste yesterday and getting taste back today. Not connected with Dad's case at all, Dad had back in Sept-Oct time frame.
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman