Centering the blade of a PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brown_Recluse

Centering the blade of a PM2

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I know this has probably been addressed multiple times but one of my PM2's (my Maxemet variation) blades is very noticeably off center and I've watched youtube video after video explaining different techniques to center the blade on a PM2 specifically and I just cannot get the durn thing centered for the life of me...

I've tried adjusting the pivot screws, loosening the body screws (on one side and both sides) and putting pressure on the blade pushing it towards the side the blade is favoring (with the blade open), I've tried adjusting what I call the "action screws" (the ones below the pivot that help dial in the action)... I've tried everything and if anything, it gets worse instead of better to the point where it's rubbing the scales at times. This is my favorite PM2 with one of my favorite blade steels and it just bugs the living daylights out of me that the blade is so off center.

So, to my question, is there any abstract or not well known technique that I could try? Because I've exhausted all of the obvious fixes.

Thank you for taking the time to read and I very much appreciate any and all suggestions. :spyder:
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Accutron

Re: Centering the blade of a PM2

Post by Accutron »

Are you sure it's a centering issue and not a warped blade? The Maxamet PM2 has been seen with warped blades in the past.
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

In my experience it's been the body screw that effects centering the most. The first run of Maxamet PM2s had an obvious warp to it. I have one of them...
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Accutron wrote: Are you sure it's a centering issue and not a warped blade? The Maxamet PM2 has been seen with warped blades in the past.
Soulrack wrote: In my experience it's been the body screw that effects centering the most. The first run of Maxamet PM2s had an obvious warp to it. I have one of them...

I was not aware of this issue with the warped blade but you're probably right. That def explains why it seemed impossible to get that bugger centered. I'll take it apart and see if i can tell if the blade is warped not.

I really appreciate ya'lls help. Thank you
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Soulrack wrote: In my experience it's been the body screw that effects centering the most. The first run of Maxamet PM2s had an obvious warp to it. I have one of them...
Accutron wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:03 pm
Are you sure it's a centering issue and not a warped blade? The Maxamet PM2 has been seen with warped blades in the past.

Yup... It's warped alright. The blade curves to the left ever so slightly but it's very noticeable when I look down the spine of the blade. In all my years of collecting and wheelin n dealin Spyderco knives, I've never seen one with a warped blade. I guess there's a first time for everything :spyder:
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

What's the date code on the box? I'm curious to know whether it's current/recent production or more like 2017-2018.
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Accutron wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:52 am
What's the date code on the box? I'm curious to know whether it's current/recent production or more like 2017-2018.
JT so 10/20

Attachments
20201124_124005_HDR_(1).jpg
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

So I was just looking at my pm2 maxamet, which was from the run before this one. My blade is slightly warped but its hard to notice and I can live with it. But my knife also had the worst looking edge bevel (on the show side) of any spyderco I have received. Of the few stonewashed spydies I have, my maxamet pm2 also doesnt look as good as the others. My maxamet manix 2 has no issues so I dont know if spyderco is overworked on these or what.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:56 pm
So I was just looking at my pm2 maxamet, which was from the run before this one. My blade is slightly warped but its hard to notice and I can live with it. But my knife also had the worst looking edge bevel (on the show side) of any spyderco I have received. Of the few stonewashed spydies I have, my maxamet pm2 also doesnt look as good as the others. My maxamet manix 2 has no issues so I dont know if spyderco is overworked on these or what.

Yeah, that's where I'm at, idk what could have happened to cause this issue 2 runs (maybe more?) in a row. Sometimes mine is so bad that it scrapes the scales on the clip side and that's beyond cosmetic. That's a serious issue in my book.... I'm not even sure what to do with it. I've taken it apart so the warranty is void but this is 100% a factory defect. I'd be willing to bet that a new Maxemet blade probably isn't cheap either...
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Simple disassembly does not void your warranty.

"Spyderco’s knives are assembled to exacting tolerances by trained technicians, so we discourage end users from disassembling or adjusting our knives. If a knife has been disassembled and reassembled correctly—so as to maintain its proper mechanical function—this warranty remains in full effect. However, if a knife has been disassembled and reassembled in such a way that, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the proper mechanical function of the knife has been compromised, it is no longer covered by warranty."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brown_Recluse wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:41 pm
VooDooChild wrote:

Yeah, that's where I'm at, idk what could have happened to cause this issue 2 runs (maybe more?) in a row. Sometimes mine is so bad that it scrapes the scales on the clip side and that's beyond cosmetic. That's a serious issue in my book.... I'm not even sure what to do with it. I've taken it apart so the warranty is void but this is 100% a factory defect. I'd be willing to bet that a new Maxemet blade probably isn't cheap either...

As Accutron said already: Generally the warranty is not void just cause you disassembled a knife!

But what certainly is not gonna happen as far as I know: That they send you a new, spare blade, no matter what you´d be ready to pay for it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:28 pm
Brown_Recluse wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:41 pm
VooDooChild wrote:

As Accutron said already: Generally the warranty is not void just cause you disassembled a knife!

But what certainly is not gonna happen as far as I know: That they send you a new, spare blade, no matter what you´d be ready to pay for it.
Well yeah lol. I didn't expect them to just send me one. I was thinking more like I'd send it to them and they would hopefully either fix it or put a new blade on it.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN