Have you owned a Spyderco lockback with zero play?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 91

vivi

Post by vivi »

I haven't.

Whether they are US, Japanese or Chinese Spyderco lockbacks, all of them have some degree of vertical play when pushing the cutting edge into thick materials.

I've tried Natives, Centofante 3/4, C95 Manix, C95 sprint, Siren, Cara Cara 1/2, Meadowlark, Flight, Crossbill, Tasman Salt, Pacific Salt 1 pinned, Pacific Salt 1 screw pivot, Pacific Salt 2 H1 & LC200N, Police 1/3/4/4LW, Atlantic Salt, Ladybug, Worker, Co-Pilot, Micro-Dyad, Stretch 1 FRN, Stretch 1 CF/ZDP, Delica 4, Spyderhawk (both sprints), Caly Jr, Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Calypso brown G10 sprint, Endura 3/4/Wave, Dragonfly and others I'm forgetting.

Now the little bit of blade play in these knives doesn't bother me. I'm used to it, and lockbacks are still my favorite lock.

What does bug me are all the reports on this forum of lockbacks with zero play when I've yet to handle one after handling over 400 Spyderco lockbacks over the last 15 years.
Last edited by vivi on Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Re: Have you owned a Spyderco lockback with zero play?

Post by Wartstein »

Just tried all of mine.

The Chaparral FRN (internal stop pin!) does not have any vertical play that I could perceive, even when pushing the blade hard into material or on a hard (not cuttable) surface.

All others do, though some just a tiny bit.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have three. The 2 Chaparrals and a Native 5 LW. The others only move a little bit if I really bear down on a cutting board, and a couple of those move very little indeed. (I have a couple of Cold Steels that have zero movement, no matter what)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

One of the reasons I am not crazy about backlocks. Most of my backlocks came with or developed vertical blade play sooner or later. The most annoying was the Caly 3.5 in VG10. I owned three of them and all three came with substantial blade play from the factory. Same with most of my Seki backlocks.Me and Doc are on the same page when it comes to the FRN Chaparral. My Chaparrals (I own three) have no blade play in use. The little sucker is quite tough for it’s size.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
autoxer

Post by autoxer »

Add another name to the list for a Chaparral with no blade play - at least none that I can perceive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I've had 15+ delicas, 20+ dragonflys, 4 N5s, 8+ calys and all of them developed play over time if they didnt already have play from the factory.

As others have mentioned, the only backlocks I have had with no play are the ones made in Taiwan with internal stop pins (chaparrals, sage 4)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

In my rather small sample size (1) my tasman salt 2 doesn’t have any lock rock. There is some side-to-side play when I have the pivot really loose, but that is to be expected. From what I’m hearing I should expect vertical play to develop over time with use?
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I already ate crow on this about a year ago. I said I had a backlock with no play and then came back after I realised it had a tiny bit of play and I just hadnt noticed. I dont have time to check them all right now.

I will say there is definitely a lot of variation in the amount of play. I think this is what spawns these reports. An older endura with a good amount of vertical play is not difficult to notice. A new native 5, with a hairs width of play might not be detectable in light or normal use.

It doesnt matter to me. Mid backlock is still my favorite lock and there is never enough play to bother me.

I asked a while back about the evolution of the backlock. Whether people thought Spyderco should try some kind of triad lock, or start integrating internal stop pins into their backlock designs. It kind of seems like everything increases complexity or decreases ease of use.

I wouldnt care if Spyderco wanted to start using internal stop pins or something, but its not something I think I need. I personally think Golden makes the best backlock out there and it is certainly good enough for my uses.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

2 new backlocks to me: Siren and the Rock Jumper.

Siren: no blade play, but lock slop when you grip it tightly. The lock bar is so wide and the cutout is quite far forward such that the meat of your hand will ever so slightly depress the lock and you can feel the blade rattle against the lock. Feels bad, man.

Rock Jumper: vertical play right out of the box. Reminiscent of my first Spydercos, all Rescue blades. I assume is standard fitment for Seki City knives.

Kinda made me realize I don't really favor lockback knives.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Yes. This is easy...Native 5s are all rock solid in my experience (so are others, but Natives are very consistent in this regard)
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

“Play” seems to be a bit subjective, which is probably leading to the discrepancy.

Personally, I recognize the compromise that folding knives represent - they trade rigidity for portability. I have never stuck my blades into anything so hard that they showed “play.” The back lock on my DF2 that I’ve carried for years is still as tight as ever.

I use this silly trick called “use the right tool for the job.” I have a whole host of fancy (and sharp) kitchen knives - Moras for grunt garage and cleaning/gutting, an axe and maul for firewood, etc.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I always check vertical blade play, ever since this was brought to my attention few years back.

No vertical play,
- Chaparral
- Three of my four Native 5s. The fourth developed very slight play over time. I am pretty hard on my Natives.
- Two Natives I gave away. Still get to handle them for sharpening now and then. No play.

Vertical play out of the box, in order of degree from very little to little more,
- Siren
- Caly 3
- Stretch SS
- 4x Delica 4
- Endura 4
Peter
anycal

Post by anycal »

Blnd wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:53 am
“Play” seems to be a bit subjective, which is probably leading to the discrepancy.

Personally, I recognize the compromise that folding knives represent - they trade rigidity for portability. I have never stuck my blades into anything so hard that they showed “play.” The back lock on my DF2 that I’ve carried for years is still as tight as ever.

I use this silly trick called “use the right tool for the job.” I have a whole host of fancy (and sharp) kitchen knives - Moras for grunt garage and cleaning/gutting, an axe and maul for firewood, etc.

How so? Either there is play, or there isn't.

At the end of the day, Spyderco's backlocks are prone to some vertical blade play. Seems like the Native 5 have better tolerances than others.
Peter
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tangent wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:40 am
Yes. This is easy...Native 5s are all rock solid in my experience (so are others, but Natives are very consistent in this regard)

As far as I can recall my Native 5 LW was as rock solid as my Chap indeed, despite the former has no internal stop pin.
Don´t have the Native anymore, so I can´t check, but actually on the Spyderco website it literally says about the Native 5 LW "...The blade is supported by a highly refined back lock mechanism that takes this time-tested lock design and elevates it to a new standard of engineering and manufacturing excellence" (https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C41BK5/902)

Seems to be 100% true.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nope, I haven't.
Native 5, two Pacific Salts, two Delicas, an Endura, two Byrd knives, multiple Menbug...every Spyderco backlock I have owned has had vertical play as vivi describes.

Edit: also, the Police 4 G10.
Also, the Tasman Salt and Dragonfly Salt.
Last edited by The Meat man on Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
carrot

Post by carrot »

Just the Chaparral. All the others have had slight vertical rock.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Blnd wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:53 am

I don't think its subjective. The blade wiggles up and down or it doesn't.

It doesn't require subjecting them to abuse of any sort to detect. It doesn't even require cutting anything.

I can open up my Pacific Salt, pinch the blade with my left hand near the spine, then push the handle like I'm cutting something and I feel lock rock.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I don't have a lot of folders, but from no maker do I have a back lock with any blade play. My Spyderco Maxamet Native 5 is as solid as the Rock of Gibralter. I love that knife!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

None of my Native 5s (10+), Chaparrals (2), or my Sage 4 have any play. I know I have several Seki-City lock backs that don't have any. I do have a few Seki-City models that have developed a little vertical play
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’m happy to say that NONE of my Spyderco lockback knives have blade play of any kind.

I own:
Two Delica 4
Police 4 Lightweight
Pacific Salt LC200N
Tasman PE
Lady bug
Native Salt
Siren

The only Spyderco lockback I ever had a problem with was the Lady bug. When I started to use it the lock failed and would not stay open in the locked position with any kind of force put against it. I made the retailer I bought it from replace it. I probably would’ve had to go through Spyderco but their website says “satisfaction guaranteed“ so I took advantage of that fact. I didn’t even have to pay shipping.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”