Swayback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Swayback

Post by TomAiello »

Isn't that just the 'NYPD opening' method?
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

juggler wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:27 am
Bemo wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:53 pm
What I ended up doing was a pinch grip with the blade and my left thumb in the hole and a sharp and short downward motion. The momentum snapped the handle into place. I'm sure there's a term for that type of opening that I'm unaware of.

Oh yes, I see. I can't remember what it's called either but I've opened knives this way too. A bit awkward but doable in a pinch ( :p ). Thank you.
Spyder Drop.
juggler

Post by juggler »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:07 am
Spyder Drop.

Of course :rolleyes:. So obvious and yet I couldn't remember it. Thanks!
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Ah thanks! GATF, an acronym I have no hope of remembering.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Aside from the price, one thing that kinda bothers me about this otherwise excellent looking knife is the "sway" at the butt end of the handle...how does it feel in the hand?

It looks like in heavy use, it will dig in into the palms of the hand, near the pinkie finger part... can Swayback owners comment on this?

From the moment you grip it tight, it hurts.

No chamfering on the scales, the back of the handle going up and the clip digging into your hand.

The shinny clip is an abomination on this piece from aesthetic point of view and it digs into your hand.

Needs jimping to avoid slipping the index finger over the blade.

Opening is problematic.

The price is up there in the sky.

Other than these it is perfect, the influencers on this topic can confirm that.

It looks good in pictures though, probably that's why I bought it :D

https://youtu.be/LlVI7ZN ... el=Roxette

Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:41 am

From the moment you grip it tight, it hurts.
LOL you seems to have much sensitive palms !

Apart for the hideous clip I cannot be more opposite to your point of view.
I use it on hard matters like plastic and wood and really there is no issue with the knife perfectly secured in my grip, edge down or edge down.
I guess you have never your grandfather or some slipjoints because the Swayback is just a pleasure to hold and use once the abomination clip (shiny steel, and much too high to my own taste) is removed.
Even with wet palms and greasy hands I got really no issue with the grip.

Oh and "influencers" got free knives. I'm not.
My swayback cost me 300 euros (plus 30 euros for the titanium clip) in a brick and mortar reseller here in France.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Excuse me for having a different opinion than yours, but I thought I should drop in a few lines because is far from being that perfect as suggested....

I am using the keyboard for a living, not the jackhammer.
I can assure you that my hands are not super sensitive but I do have a strong grip.

Maybe we are talking about different knife, because Swayback is probably one of the most uncomfortable Spyderco to grip tight from the ones I have. And I do have a lot of them:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78437

If intended for a serious use the knife should probably be tested in a store before buying.
For me, light cutting tasks, fidgeting and taking pictures, it's just OK.

If you're doing this for free it's even better :D

Some other people's opinions with sensitive palms :D , check this out: from 1:56 up to conclusion at 2:39

https://youtu.be/KWGp5Ga ... J.Lanphere
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:33 am
Excuse me for having a different opinion than yours, but I thought I should drop in a few lines because is far from being that perfect as suggested....
To each their own. ;-)

The Swayback is not perfect. Far from that. But it suits my needs because I have been obliged to adapt myself to it ?
Perhaps.

Opening it is not as easy as a Para 2 or 3. I was tempted to send it back before to find a way to open it. (First day of owning pictured now, such a gymnastic, now it is much more natural). The culprit is the überlarge lockbar from the very very strong lock held by its "spring" and your own grip.
In term of design it is very much a cousin to the Nilakka: it is not for everybody and buying it (invest in it) only for the look would be a mistake IMHO. There is a "story" to develop with your Swayback.
And that story is written when it is in use not on display. My Swayback as been my main EDC and I have never been once disappointed by its behavior in all terrain. I was even very surprise by the way a Wharncliffe behave in the kitchen, the woods, the boat... Cutting ropes is a game as it catches it. Whittling is a pleasure. Peeling fruits is easy. It has replaced my Kapara. Processing wood or thick plastics ? No problem. It goes steady.

As pictured my Sebenza from 1996 is not the most confortable handle in hard use (far from that actually it can be painful) but, for my hands, the Swayback is much more comfy in hard materials cutting. Again this is a very subjective point of view. My PPT would be more confortable for example. But really compared to many of my knives, even my Para 2 (which can hurt the skin between my thumb and my index because of its sharp compression lock placement), the Swayback is a pleasure to use. It is not hurting.

See how the compression lock teeth can hurt my sensitive skin.
It has also happen to a friend when processing quinces which ended with some bleeding and and less love to the compression lock...

Now to each their own. I was looking for a wolf knife which looks like a sheep. It suits my need. ;-)

Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

The way you grip it very close to the blade, leaving the up-swept part of scale and the back end of the clip outside your palm, saves you the pain

And you probably doing push-down cuts.

Try to grip it hard like that guy in the video I posted above does and the way I tend to do it, with the clip and the end of the up-swept scale inside your palm...
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:55 am
The way you grip it very close to the blade, leaving the up-swept part of scale and the back end of the clip outside your palm, saves you the pain

Try to grip it hard like that guy in the video I posted above does and the way I tend to do it, with the clip and the end of the up-swept scale inside your palm...
I do it also with the handle inside the palm edge up and down. No issue for me. :-)
jdw

Post by jdw »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:55 am

I feel the same way. The butt of the knife digs into my hand when I use it for any real cutting at all. It is undeniably a beautiful knife but it has the blade of a gents knife, the handle of a work knife and it isn't really very good at being either. As always, JMO.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It's not perfect, but it is wonderful! ;) :)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

So, my straight take on this knife: It is a modern take on a traditional design and as such you have to live within the knife's design. If you do not wish to or cannot do that, that is perfectly fine as there are many other knives from wish to choose.
The only thing I will do to mine, other that replacing the clip, is to soften the points near the lanyard hole.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Ah I have found a picture of what a compression lock can do to the hand in case of hard use

from

http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2012/can-i-use ... bushcraft/

This is not an issue with the Swayback which got a soft back and spine which is not hurting my hand at all when working on wood.
This is a BIG plus in my book.

:-)
Last edited by Nemo3000 on Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:36 pm
So, my straight take on this knife: It is a modern take on a traditional design and as such you have to live within the knife's design. If you do not wish to or cannot do that, that is perfectly fine as there are many other knives from wish to choose.
The only thing I will do to mine, other that replacing the clip, is to soften the points near the lanyard hole.
Actually the two points which are "sharp" on mine are near the pivot.

Oh here is a little review I really enjoyed from Kniferx (Vegas baby Sep 08, 2020) customer of the Knifecenter.

"I enjoy Slysz designs and that includes this SwayBack. Beautiful to behold in person, this knife has only a slight sway. The handles are heavy and comfortable in hand. The blade requires a little more practice to deploy due to the smaller Spyderhole, but it is absolutely doable. The deployment is very satisfying with the long CTS-XHP blade, which arrived very sharp and ready to go. To address some complaints I have read elsewhere:
1) "The clip!!" - As usual, there are complaints about the clip and how it affects ergo. I don't think clips ever help ergo, but it is truly large and obnoxious in this case. I simply removed it, because should a "throwback design" really even have a clip? SwayBack pocketknives didn't used to have clips! It is much more comfortable with the clip gone. I'm sure 3rd party clips can be purchased that are flatter as well.
2) "The knife blade pokes out when closed!" - This is a big deal and could point to production issues. However, I didn't experience this whatsoever. I couldn't cut myself on that closed blade if I tried. I have always been happy with the Taiwanese Spyderco knives and this is no exception.
3) "Spyderhole is too small!" - Already spoke to this, but it's simply not true. This is one of my favorite knives to deploy. It's very impressive to watch according to those who have witnessed me deploy it, because it really flies open and locks solid. I really hope you give this knife a chance.
Let's be honest, do you really think Marcin Slysz doesn't know what he's doing with design? I'm so happy to have this in my collection."