Smooth Contoured PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Smooth Contoured PM2

Post by Dazen »

I was thinking about how much I love the smooth contoured scales of the Shaman, but I also love the finesse of the PM2. Can we get a run of PM2’s with smooth contoured scales (CF :D ) and maybe add a wire clip?

What do y’all think?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Re: Smooth Contoured PM2

Post by Evil D »

I've begged to make everything contoured but haven't had the most support. I'd have every knife I own like the Shaman if I could.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im really not sure the pm2 needs it. It really doesnt bother me as far as contouring goes. I find the pinky area a little bothersome in a very hard grip but that is only because the non choil grip is a tad bit short for me.

The manix 2 however, I wouldnt mind some contouring. The different ergos jam that backside edge into my palm as opposed to the pm2. Once again really only in a hard grip.

The biggest offender is definitely the manix 2 backlock. It is such a great knife that got so many things right. But dear god, it needed some contouring.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I thought they just called it the Kapara lol
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sounds like a plan - for a theoretical PM2 Lightweight. :D

Given how the Para 3 LW's scales are ergonomically different and slightly more comfortable than the OG Para 3, I think the same design aesthetic could possibly also be given to a LW version of the PM2.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Seriously the Kapara is almost there, thinner blade and contoured cf handles. Change the blade shape and it's a pm2 lol
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The Kapara is definitely not like the PM2, despite them both having compression locks. If the OP is interested in contoured PM2 scales, you should really check out scales by Aramis Akhmedov in Russia. His scales are absolutely phenomenally made, and the grip he gives to the PM2 with the contours and the inset finger grip I’m pretty sure are exactly what you’re looking for, aside from the wire clip. He offers them in several G10 colors, silver twill (like this one), and CF. I also have a CF PM2 set (plus a fluted CF Para 3 set shown below as well) that is amazing but I can’t seem to find a pic. Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:27 pm
I've begged to make everything contoured but haven't had the most support. I'd have every knife I own like the Shaman if I could.
I'd support you on adding contouring on most everything. Sometimes flat is needed in order to keep some things a thin as possible, so let's not remove the option. ;)
Last edited by JRinFL on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:14 am
The Kapara is definitely not like the PM2, despite them both having compression locks. If the OP is interested in contoured PM2 scales, you should really check out scales by Aramis Akhmedov in Russia. His scales are absolutely phenomenally made, and the grip he gives to the PM2 with the contours and the inset finger grip I’m pretty sure are exactly what you’re looking for, aside from the wire clip. He offers them in several G10 colors, silver twill (like this one), and CF. I also have a CF PM2 set (plus a fluted CF Para 3 set shown below as well) that is amazing but I can’t seem to find a pic. Cheers, Radioactive

+1 , what this guy said.

I tried to order a few months back but he seemed to be shut down from covid/international shipping. Hopefully this has changed by now.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:31 pm
Sounds like a plan - for a theoretical PM2 Lightweight. :D

Given how the Para 3 LW's scales are ergonomically different and slightly more comfortable than the OG Para 3, I think the same design aesthetic could possibly also be given to a LW version of the PM2.
Very good point. I'd love g10 pm2 scales that were contoured like the Shaman's, but if the change only happens in the design of the pm2 lightweight, I'll still be happy.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:23 pm
I'd support you on adding contouring on most everything. Sometimes flat is needed in order to keep some things a thin as possible, so let's not remove the option. ;)
I'm pretty much with you JR. I like contoured scale but not if it adds thickness.

I always thought contoured handles would be a huge difference. Then I got a couple Natives with contoured handles and, while I really like them, I've found they're not the big deal I thought they would be. My flat handled Natives don't feel much different to me. Maybe it's just my hand?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:43 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:23 pm
I'm pretty much with you JR. I like contoured scale but not if it adds thickness.

I always thought contoured handles would be a huge difference. Then I got a couple Natives with contoured handles and, while I really like them, I've found they're not the big deal I thought they would be. My flat handled Natives don't feel much different to me. Maybe it's just my hand?
It might be overall size of the knife as well. Shaman-sized requires it, IMO. Delica/Native sized knives may not, or at least they need less contouring. Just break the hard edges.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Evil D wrote:
I never understood the drive to eliminate traction increasing features like texturing and jimping on very sharp objects.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Evil D wrote:
I agree, I just said the PM2 because it is one of my favorite knives and I think it’s a model that could handle a variation like this.

While I do like Aramis Akhmedov scales I’m a sucker for the factory fit finish and look.

I do really enjoy my Kapara but I just don’t think it’s the same as the PM2. There’s just something about the weight of the PM2 blade.

I’m not really a fan of lightweights in general. So a PM2 lightweight wouldn’t really interest me, but I will probably buy one. I even advocated for Spyderco Heavyweights in the past.

In the end I would just like a smoothie PM2. If I really had my way I would add the deep carry wire clip and delete all jimping.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:27 pm
Evil D wrote:
I never understood the drive to eliminate traction increasing features like texturing and jimping on very sharp objects.

The right ergonomics can eliminate the need for texture and jimping. For example, a Kiwi 4 isn't coming out of your hand even if it's contoured.

I never understood the desire for a squared flat slab blocky handle when our hand isn't any of those things. I don't understand the desire for wafer thin handles either. I'll sacrifice pocket confort for drastically better hand comfort. I've never got a hot spot or blister from carrying a knife in my pocket but I have from using knives like that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:55 pm
I’m not really a fan of lightweights in general. So a PM2 lightweight wouldn’t really interest me, but I will probably buy one.
I carry and use a G10 Manix2 quite a bit and I don't mind the weight, but these days I like my Manix 2 lightweight. I think the PM2 is a good weight as it is and doesn't need to be lightened.

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:46 pm
I never understood the desire for a squared flat slab blocky handle when our hand isn't any of those things. I don't understand the desire for wafer thin handles either.
I don't mind the flat PM2 but I would like a little contouring. I've owned a couple of knives from other companies (name starts with a B) that were contoured, but they were a little fatter than the PM2. A person's feelings about thickness may vary- one of the B knives I had was acceptable to me regarding thickness, the other one was a bit too thick and I eventually sold it. My daughter has the other one I mentioned and I sometimes wish I had it back.

The scales seem to need a little bit of edge thickness for the fasteners to work, so if they are contoured they just get fatter in the middle, so this takes a careful balance to keep a knife from getting too thick.

Regarding the smooth part- I've thought about taking one of my PM2s and sanding the G10 smooth. I haven't had the courage to do this yet.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I wouldn’t want the scales to be like the Kapara or Magnitude where they are rounder overall. The Shaman is just right with just the edges being contoured and the center of the scales being flat and smooth. To do this the PM2 may have to be a hair thicker because they are so thin already.
Dane

bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:46 am
The Shaman is just right with just the edges being contoured and the center of the scales being flat and smooth. To do this the PM2 may have to be a hair thicker because they are so thin already.
It would have to be thicker or wider. Compare photos of the Shaman and the PM2- the screws on the Shaman are set back from the edge of the scales a little bit so the rounding occurs outside of the screws. The PM2 has the screws located closer to the edges so if you started rounding the edges you would grind into the screw heads. If you made it thicker then there would be room for the screws to be countersunk and the edges could be rounded without grinding into the screws, or make it wider so the screws are farther from the edge.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Chamfered. Yes! Smooth and/or contoured, not for me. Not on a PM2.

I tried the smooth G10 scales of the KC exclusive, as well as a set smooth aftermarket scales. I prefer the peel ply texture.

I also tried the Akhmedov CF scales. And although they are very well made, I don't care for the extra handle thickness.

Yes, the scale screws on the PM2 are rather close to the edge. Buy it doesn't take much chamfering to make a pretty significant difference in how much more comfortable the knife can be. Don't forget to chamfer the inside corners. That makes a big difference as well.

Peter
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Contoured G-10/CF will cost more than flat slabs because of the machining time required. The great thing about molded plastic is that, once molds are made/paid for, a contoured handle costs no more to mold than a flat one.

Although I love a swoopy 3-D contoured handle, I find flatter folder handles to be a sensible compromise of cost, hand ergonomics, and in-pocket comfort. Also, small radius slab edges afford an index that helps in orienting the knife by feel.