Left handed PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Left handed PM2

Post by Josh Crutchley »

How many lefties have tried a left handed pm2? If you have is it worth it over the right handed pm2? I would think the only negative might be a reduced resale value.
Ez556

Re: Left handed PM2

Post by Ez556 »

I’m not left handed, but I will say the compression lock is so great used the way it was designed to be used. Trying to use the compression lock with my left hand is not great, and I feel can be actually dangerous because using your thumb on the tab means that’s your only purchase on that side of the scale is a smooth tab of metal less than a 1/4” wide. I write all that to say that I hate using the compression lock with my weak left hand, it’s fantastic using my index finger on my dominant right hand like it was intended to be used, so I would assume the same experience would be true for someone who is left handed. If I WAS left handed I wouldn’t hesitate to get a lefty model.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I would say it's definitely *not* worth it. I find that the RH PM2 is extremely operable by lefties (and yes I'm a leftie), as long as the clip is oriented for LH tip up carry. It takes about 5 minutes to learn the technique, and it's actually a more efficient operation than closing it with your right hand, or using a LH PM2.

If you decide you like the PM2 platform, you're probably eventually going to want one in an exclusive steel or color, and those are all RH models. The LH PM2 just handicaps you.

https://youtu.be/vXaIszSQQTA
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

As a right-handed user I was surprised to discover that the compression lock is easier to close left handed when I’m wearing gloves. Normally I use the knife in my dominant hand, depressing the lock tab with my right index finger. This proved difficult to do when doing yard work with leather gloves, and using my left thumb to depress the tab was surprisingly easy.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I haven’t tried the lefty PM2.

I’ve adapted to using the standard PM2 compression lock left handed. It doesn’t feel wrong handed to me.

I never really got a lefty PM2, because I didn’t want to interfere with the muscle memory I’d developed for my other PM2s, and also because I’m not that into CPM S30V.

I’d rather have the bladesteel options of the ‘righty’ PM2.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:57 am
As a right-handed user I was surprised to discover that the compression lock is easier to close left handed when I’m wearing gloves. Normally I use the knife in my dominant hand, depressing the lock tab with my right index finger. This proved difficult to do when doing yard work with leather gloves, and using my left thumb to depress the tab was surprisingly easy.

Interesting and something I (also a righty) will have to try!
Cause one thing I don´t like too much in the comp. lock is the (for me) more difficult operation with gloves on, compared to especially liner- and backlock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Accutron wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:38 am

If you decide you like the PM2 platform, you're probably eventually going to want one in an exclusive steel or color, and those are all RH models. The LH PM2 just handicaps you.
This is something I wasn't really thinking of thanks for mentioning it. I like different steels so I need to just get used to the RH PM2. I've already bought a second Manix 2 just a month after the first.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I'm actually much better closing it left handed as a leftie. Sometimes I just absentmindedly close it left handed without looking at it. Not only the PM2 but also the Para3, Ikuchi, Watu,etc...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I'm righthanded and I own a couple of the righthanded PM 2's and a lefthanded version. I'll carry the ones made for 90% of the people on the planet in my right pocket, or the one made for the oppressed 10% in my left pocket. ;)

There are a few things in life where I've practiced using both my right hand and my left hand, but I found the left hand PM 2 Compression Lock just so much easier to operate in my left hand; all the manipulations are the same as a righthanded version. (go figure :rolleyes: ) One interesting difference, though, is when I unlock the righthanded version I'll use my right index finger and swing the blade closed. On the lefthanded version I'll use my middle finger to press the lock out of the way. I discovered that when using my left index finger I just don't get up enough velocity to close the blade. Ninety percent of the time the blade stops midway. I can fling it closed about 100% of the time using my middle finger. The lock button on my Smock it conveniently located near my left middle finger, too, so that's how I roll for lefthanded carry with that.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The "Lefty" Para2 is the only comp lock folder that I carry right handed. All my other comp lock folders are set up for portside carry. Since I'm right handed, I have no love for the Compression lock.
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

I'm a lefty firmly in the "won't compromise for RH knives" camp. I have had the LH PM2 for about a month and feel that it is worth it.
A couple of caveats to add to the discussion
  • I have not owned a RH compression lock, so can not give a full comparison. Using my RH for the LH compression lock is not easy
  • Hands and fingers vary between persons which impacts utilization of any lock style
  • Clips/lanyards will also impact some of the suggestions in this thread
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:16 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:57 am

Interesting and something I (also a righty) will have to try!
Cause one thing I don´t like too much in the comp. lock is the (for me) more difficult operation with gloves on, compared to especially liner- and backlock.
Please let us know if that works for you. Another thought I had is this: some users complain about the lack of traction on the compression lock tab. Would adding skateboard tape, or grooves to the tab help them? The tape is reversible so a good first step.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:17 am
How many lefties have tried a left handed pm2? If you have is it worth it over the right handed pm2? I would think the only negative might be a reduced resale value.
I have a left handed Paramilitary 2, and it's a very nice knife. If a compression lock was really all that great in the wrong hand, you'd see right handed people clamoring over themselves to buy up all the left-handed knives. And then Spyderco would focus production on left-handed knives, but they'd relabel them as right-handed. But that doesn't happen because it's not really all that great to operate a knife with the wrong hand.

Resale value? Meh. I only buy what I want, and rarely sell things. If you want it, buy it and keep it.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:44 pm
I have a left handed Paramilitary 2, and it's a very nice knife. If a compression lock was really all that great in the wrong hand, you'd see right handed people clamoring over themselves to buy up all the left-handed knives. And then Spyderco would focus production on left-handed knives, but they'd relabel them as right-handed. But that doesn't happen because it's not really all that great to operate a knife with the wrong hand.
All modern compression locks are 'backwards'. The Gunting had what we would now call a LH compression lock, but was intended for right-handed use, in much the same way that I use a RH PM2 in my left hand. For some reason they reversed (broke) the design, which is fine by me because it means all of the PM2 exclusives are secretly built for LH users. You just have to put the clip in the correct spot (tip up, opposite side from the lock cutout). I don't care whether Spyderco labels something as LH or RH. Superior LH single-operation closing of the PM2 is clearly demonstrated in the video I linked above.

Not all compression lock models will work this way. If the clip longitudinally overlaps the lock cutout, or if the cutout is not thumb-friendly (such as on the new Yojumbo), then it doesn't work very well left-handed. The RH PM2 however, is perfect for efficient left hand operation, with its longer lock cutout that trails toward the rear.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:44 pm
If a compression lock was really all that great in the wrong hand, you'd see right handed people clamoring over themselves to buy up all the left-handed knives. And then Spyderco would focus production on left-handed knives, but they'd relabel them as right-handed. But that doesn't happen because it's not really all that great to operate a knife with the wrong hand.
This is my opinion as well. I don't own a PM2, but I do own a Shaman and a Lil' Native with the compression lock. I fidget with my knives constantly, I have about a million ways to open and close CBBL, backlock and linerlock knives with either hand, however the Compression Lock is the only one that I actually feel unsafe closing with my left hand. It may come down to my body mechanics and I have not tried/figured out the method Accutron showed with his PM2 (I'll be trying it tonight though), but the way I see it, if using a compression lock in the "correct" hand facilitates numerous comfortable, quick and safe ways of closing the knife and using the compression lock in the "wrong" hand limits you to one or maybe two ways to operate it comfortably or safely, its in no way superior. IMHO, YMMV and all that. (Side note, this is why the CBBL is my favorite lock, because theres no such thing as a "right handed" or "left handed" Manix!)
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Ez556 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:01 pm
this is why the CBBL is my favorite lock, because theres no such thing as a "right handed" or "left handed" Manix!)
Thats why the manix 2 is the first knife I bought 2 of.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm a Lefty and have had zero issues operating my righty PM2.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Accutron wrote:
I would say it's definitely *not* worth it. I find that the RH PM2 is extremely operable by lefties (and yes I'm a leftie), as long as the clip is oriented for LH tip up carry. It takes about 5 minutes to learn the technique, and it's actually a more efficient operation than closing it with your right hand, or using a LH PM2.

I just watched the video, pulled out my Para 3 that's set up for left pocket, tip up carry and gave it a try. (in slo-mo, of course)

My, what a resourceful bunch we have around here! ;) :D
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Pokey wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:59 am
Accutron wrote:

I just watched the video, pulled out my Para 3 that's set up for left pocket, tip up carry and gave it a try. (in slo-mo, of course) I've always been able to flick it open left handed, but never tried closing it left handed.

My, what a resourceful bunch we have around here! ;) :D
Nate

Post by Nate »

Another lefty opinion. I can operate righty comp locks just fine with either hand and still overwhelmingly prefer the left hand model.

I prefer it so I can use the now standard index finger closing that 99%+ of right handers use. Yes, the original comp lock on the Gunting was set up as what we now refer to as lefty because it was originally intended to be closed like a back lock in the right hand, but clearly things have changed and the vast majority of people don’t do this.

I don’t care that I can’t get sprint steels or colors for this model and sold all my righty pm2s when I got the left hand version (and a back up). However, if you think about, the biggest obstacle to getting additional left hand models, or sprints in the lh pm2 or military, might be all the stubborn lefties who won’t effing buy the standard ones... :rolleyes:
:spyder: