Official 2021 Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BDNX

Re: Official 2021 Discontinued List

Post by BDNX »

So glad I got my Tusk when it first came out. As much as I love it, I’m still surprised it’s been around as long as it has....
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Gonna pour one out for ZDP-189. A great and underrated steel. And BRG was a cool color. Wish we could keep both, but if there can be only one, K390 is the way to go.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Looks like I need to grab a tusk and a chinook. I’ve been wanting a tusk for a long time. So I guess now is the time to pull the trigger.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I grabbed a ZDP-189 Delica and Dfly from St Nicks. They have one Delica left at $110.50, which is $9 cheaper than most places that still have them. These will be my first ZDP knives. I am interested to see how well it holds up. I tend to be hard on my knives' edges, so I have purposefully avoided ZDP-189 due to it's reputation for chipping under hard use.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
timlara

Post by timlara »

I'm guessing there must not have been much stock in the pipeline on the ZDP Dragonfly...I'm not seeing them in stock anywhere, and the ones that are listed don't seem to have been discounted.

I wonder if they're going to have any new stock on closeout at the Seconds Sale.
Tim
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

timlara wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:43 pm
I'm guessing there must not have been much stock in the pipeline on the ZDP Dragonfly...I'm not seeing them in stock anywhere, and the ones that are listed don't seem to have been discounted.

I wonder if they're going to have any new stock on closeout at the Seconds Sale.

Yeah, I noticed that too. There are a few left on eBay at MAP pricing it looks like.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:58 pm
JohnDoe99 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:21 pm
FullFlatMind wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:08 am
The Bradley Bowie is tempting now. I figured K390 would kill off the ZDP-189.
It's purely hype, in just about every practical sense ZDP-189 is more useful. It resists corrosion more, it sharpens on a wider array of abrasives, and it is still massively wear resistant.
That's not true.

K390 has way more edge stability. It's also easy to sharpen and I'll bet it holds its edge longer than ZDP.

What experience do you have with K390?
I had a Phil Wilson knife in k390 a few years back, actually when I was carrying the Endura in ZDP-189. I sold it for $450 on Ebay not long after. Great blade design and profile, performance was fine, I just didn't feel like it offered anything over the D2 custom I already had for $200, so I freed up some money for other stuff.

The main purpose of these forums is to generate hype to boost sales. That's just how humans work in a capitalist system. You spend a nice chunk of the money you slave for on something, AND everyone else is saying it is so incredible, so of course a steel with 2.5%(!) Carbon and 9% vanadium "has a stable edge." Not even sure what that means anymore to be honest.

Besides "stability," ZDP-189 objectively has better corrosion resistance by a wide margin, and the wear resistance is so high that there is no way you can realistically tell the difference in "everyday usage." What you are saying is that k390 is the new cool steel, therefore it has better "edge retention." And uh some guy did a cardboard test too. We've already forgotten about REX-45, so why not? lol.

I love Spyderco for the unrivaled design and quality. The steels are just a nice extra.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

timlara wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:43 pm

I'm guessing there isn't much stock in the pipeline on anything Spyderco ... and guessing that is reason why the disco list was so short, and why we're not seeing retailers discounting or discounting much. Open stores with empty display cases aren't good for much.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

RIP Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189.

I EDCed this capable little folder for years. It's probably the one knife that really turned me on to Spyderco: nobody else was making anything like it at the time—a very small knife that didn't feel cramped at all, with intuitive ergonomics, and an edge that stayed sharp far, far longer than any knife I had ever used up to that point.

Despite having gravitated towards using larger knives for day-to-day carry, if I'm being perfectly honest, it would probably still be sufficient for 99% of all non-work related tasks I use a folding knife for.

I'm just glad I held on to it.
sal

Post by sal »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:06 pm
The main purpose of these forums is to generate hype to boost sales. That's just how humans work in a capitalist system. You spend a nice chunk of the money you slave for on something, AND everyone else is saying it is so incredible, so of course a steel with 2.5%(!) Carbon and 9% vanadium "has a stable edge." Not even sure what that means anymore to be honest.
Hi JohnDoe,

I disagree with you that the main purpose of this forum is to generate hype and boost sales. That is not how Spyderco works in a capitalistic system. Your broad brush statement needs to revisit your premises.

I started this forum to answer questions and communicate with our ELU's.

sal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The goal in life is to be consistent like the sun and transparent like the air, that's how trust is built". (TM)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:12 pm

sal
This is why I love these forums so much. No other company goes out if their way to gain community input like spyderco does. Shows they care.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:58 am
Gonna pour one out for ZDP-189. A great and underrated steel. And BRG was a cool color. Wish we could keep both, but if there can be only one, K390 is the way to go.
BRG was my favorite FRN color. They should bring it back with a new steel.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
JohnDoe99 wrote:
Hi JohnDoe,

I disagree with you that the main purpose of this forum is to generate hype and boost sales. That is not how Spyderco works in a capitalistic system. Your broad brush statement needs to revisit your premises.

sal

I agree with Sal. There is very little hype for the sake of hype from the regulars on this particular forum. Sure we get excited about stuff we like, but we aren't trying to hype anything up. If anything, people here are quite critical and provide constructive criticism where appropriate, which Sal has said many time greatly influences what they do at times. Hype can certainly be found on Instagram, youtubers, and unofficial facebook groups though.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:02 pm
sal wrote:
JohnDoe99 wrote:
Hi JohnDoe,

sal

I agree with Sal. There is very little hype for the sake of hype from the regulars on this particular forum. Sure we get excited about stuff we like, but we aren't trying to hype anything up. If anything, people here are quite critical and provide constructive criticism where appropriate, which Sal has said many time greatly influences what they do at times. Hype can certainly be found on Instagram, youtubers, and unofficial facebook groups though.

100%.

IIRC, the Slysz Bowie didn't get to the dollar-bending hype it goes by right now without the Youtube videos of Nick Shabbaz and others.

The REC Para 3 and PM2, as well as any current releases of these knives, wouldn't be so overvalued had it not been for some Facebook collector groups hyping them up.

Hype is good for sales and dealers, bad for the general Spyderco afis who wanted these knives but because of inflated demand due to collector hype are often pushed out of owning one by scalpers and collectors wanting to make a profit due to the demand.

Now, from the years I spent lurking as well as the actual time I've been officially here, the members have been mostly engaged in discussing what makes this knife great through its steel attributes, real world use,etc. Rarely is a knife hyped because it looks "cool", members would dissect it and try to see if it will be applicable to their daily usage. This is where you can see chefs, firemen, military, first responders, etc. engaging with Sal and co. picking their minds and sharing ideas/suggestions for the betterment of the knives produced. If you want hype that generates sales, go to those Facebook collector pages - most mods there are affiliated with the exclusives dealers and it is always to their best interest to hype up new releases because those mods often get first dibs on those dealer exclusives. If you want a good discussion, this place here is where it is.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
I don't think many folks here would agree with your first sentence.
To explain:
Edge stability, or edge strength, as it is commonly used here, means how resistant the edge is to damage from fracture or deformation. Generally speaking, lower carbide steels have a greater degree of edge strength than higher carbide steels at a given hardness. ZDP-189 has nearly twice the carbide volume as K390 and both are run at roughly similar hardness by Spyderco, so that should give you a hint, anyway, as to which will be more resistant to edge damage.
Besides "stability," ZDP-189 objectively has better corrosion resistance by a wide margin, and the wear resistance is so high that there is no way you can realistically tell the difference in "everyday usage."
I'm not trying to knock ZDP-189 at all; I think it is a great steel! I just find it strange that you write off K390 as "pure hype". Have you ever even used it?
What you are saying is that k390 is the new cool steel, therefore it has better "edge retention." And uh some guy did a cardboard test too. We've already forgotten about REX-45, so why not? lol.
No, that is not what I'm saying at all. I have use K390 extensively, and my opinions are based on that experience.
You seem to have something of a chip on your shoulder and I'm not sure why. Perhaps I am mistaken. I'm glad, anyway, that Spyderco offers us such variety in steel. There's something for everyone! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'm guessing zdp stretch and endura will be discontinued as stocks go down? At least we have the caly 3.5 for zdp under rockstead pricing
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I for one, certainly haven't forgot about Rex45...My Manix and Shaman (That I've been carrying this week, with a very busy week at work) are my two favorite users. I guess I must be living in the past :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I really like my REX-45, M4, ZDP-189, K390, M390, 20CV, PSF27, SPY27, S30V, S35VN, VG-10, LC200N, H1...you get the idea.
sal

Post by sal »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:18 pm
I for one, certainly haven't forgot about Rex45...My Manix and Shaman (That I've been carrying this week, with a very busy week at work) are my two favorite users. I guess I must be living in the past :p
Hi Tkok,

"The past", that's 30 minutes, right? ;)

sal
Reject

Post by Reject »

TazKristi wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:28 am
BWRSH1 - Whale Rescue Blade H-1
https://youtu.be/Q1EIIDlAdK0
How much can a Koala bear?