Smock grind issue [uneven hollow grind to transition line]

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BLUETYPEII

Re: Smock grind issue

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I had the same issue with my first Spyderco a Pacific Salt PE. I did not notice this before I started using it. By the time I did notice the grind was uneven it was to late to return or exchange it.

I think a flaw like this is unacceptable. If it was me I would return or exchange it; I am a bit of a perfectionist though.

EDIT: I hope I’m not offending anyone that’s not my intention. I really appreciate Spyderco. They are such a beneficial part of our community.
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

On some knives like the Delica or Endura, this would not bother me in the slightest, but on something like the Smock I would want the grinds to match the designer's intention. It really is a minimum standard, right?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Uneven edge bevels I tell people to suck it up and reprofile them unless the knife is meant to be a collectable, then I understand the desire for a perfect bevel. Uneven blade grinds are a whole different issue because I can't easily fix them myself, so yeah this sort of thing...petty as it may be...annoys the crap out of me. I'm very much in the "it's a tool just shut up and use it" crowd, but I also really appreciate the details so I can't lie and say I'm ok with it. I don't even care so much which side is "right", I just want them both even with each other.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:09 pm
I also really appreciate the details so I can't lie and say I'm ok with it. I don't even care so much which side is "right", I just want them both even with each other.
This ^

I agree I’m not saying grinds need to be absolutely perfect but at the very least even on both sides... I don’t think that’s too much to ask on any knife $75+

Just my $00.02 :cool:
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Michal O wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:21 am
Hello.

I'm ''new'' here but not really. I was here once but years ago and my account was probably deleted, I was waiting for email to activate old account so long that I created new one. But that's not the subject.

Few weeks ago I purchased Smock from local shop in my country. Generally nice knife but with one thing that buggs me from the begining. And it's uneven hollow grind. Anyone else had this issue in this knife and was covered under warranty by customer service? I'm thinking about sending it to Golden butwhen I contacted them, their statement wasn't clear they will replace it.

Hi Michal-

I haven't carried my Smock in a while and was intrigued by your post, so I dug it out to check the grinds. Mine looks like picture number 2, but evenly ground on both sides. I'm not sure which of your pictures the Smock is "supposed to" look like, but I don't really have a preference either way, so long as it's evenly ground, which mine is. I can understand your frustration with your sample..unfortunately, I'm guessing a knife with uneven grinds is probably still "within spec".. If I were you, I'd try and exchange it with the shop you bought it with if possible..

Good luck with it, and thanks for giving me some motivation for carrying my Smock this weekend! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:00 pm
Michal O wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:21 am
I don't really have a preference either way, so long as it's evenly ground
Me too. Higher is maybe even better slicer, and it's that way on offical site pictures.
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Smock/1205

I will see if I can live with it or I'll send it to Golden which is nerves and time consuming thing. Considering also that it's constantly out of stock everywhere, there may be a problem with replacing it.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michal O wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:54 pm
Pokey wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:46 am
PS It's hard to response for me, because my every post must be approved by moderator, don't know how long it will be that way.

Most likely not too long anymore from what I´ve seen on this forum! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:54 am
Michal O wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:54 pm
Pokey wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:46 am
PS It's hard to response for me, because my every post must be approved by moderator, don't know how long it will be that way.

Most likely not too long anymore from what I´ve seen on this forum! :)
Hope so. It's really annoying.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I got a little nervous after reading this thread but I checked my 20CV Smock yesterday after work and the grind on each side is perfect and right where they should be. Carrying it today
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Just checked my 20cv smock from Knifejoy. One side is perfect, one side the grind is off by maybe a mm. I'd never have noticed otherwise, and it certainly isn't enough to bother me.

Michal, I'd say if yours is off enough to bother you, then by all means send it to spyderco for an exchange.

Edit to add: You might want to email or call Spyderco first to make sure this would be considered a factory defect.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:29 pm
Just checked my 20cv smock from Knifejoy. One side is perfect, one side the grind is off by maybe a mm. I'd never have noticed otherwise, and it certainly isn't enough to bother me.

Michal, I'd say if yours is off enough to bother you, then by all means send it to spyderco for an exchange.

Edit to add: You might want to email or call Spyderco first to make sure this would be considered a factory defect.
I mailed them, with pictures and video, yet they did not wanted to declare for 100% that it will be considered as defect to replace. Only if they see it in real.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Pokey wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:50 am
Here’s mine. The hollow grind pretty much meets right at the angle on the spine on the left side, and it’s meets the spine about 0.08” (2 mm) back from that angle on the right side.
Anyway @Pokey, are you going to keep it now or send to Golden?

I might keep mine, after time it will stop annoy me probably. Maybe making a swedge may cover it up to some point.

What's funny, I have same thing going on in Benchmade 950, but less visible, false edge line is 1 mm earlier on present side. But in Rift transition line on spine isn't that sharp like in Smock.

Still curious if Smock grind is made by hand at Taichung factory.
ABX2011

Re: Smock grind issue [uneven hollow grind to transition line]

Post by ABX2011 »

These kind of assymetries are pretty common. Not a warranty issue, IMO although hopefully corrected on future runs.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 pm
These kind of assymetries are pretty common. Not a warranty issue, IMO although hopefully corrected on future runs.
You have any Spyderco knives with asymetric grinds?
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Michal O wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:16 pm
Anyway @Pokey, are you going to keep it now or send to Golden?

I might keep mine, after time it will stop annoy me probably. Maybe making a swedge may cover it up to some point.

What's funny, I have same thing going on in Benchmade 950, but less visible, false edge line is 1 mm earlier on present side. But in Rift transition line on spine isn't that sharp like in Smock.

Still curious if Smock grind is made by hand at Taichung factory.
Mine is such a small difference that I'll keep it. (I actually never noticed it until you posted pictures of yours.)

I just looked at the lines on a couple of my 940 Osborne's. They're consistent from side to side, but the angles and lines differ from knife to knife. Maybe the manufacturing tolerances are stacked up in one direction?
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

There’s only one thing worse than an uneven grind, and that’s knowing it’s uneven and the accompanying disappointment.
Andrew
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 pm

I beg to disagree. The uneven grind is not a design feature, is not common, and is an indication of the level of quality control. It is unfortunate that there are batches of these knives out there with this QC issues. I hope that Taichung's QC would be improved - most knives from there already suffer from weak detents. And this is coming from someone like me who really loves Taichung Spydies.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I think if they would replace that knife it makes door open for rest of people dissapointed with uneven grinds and that cost them money.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

As has been said before, this is not a $20 knife. It is a premium production folder. I think there is the expectation that a $250 (cdn) knife has BOTH excellent aesthetics and function. Anyone who jumps on someone for being disappointed in a fairly significant deviation in symetry probably has a lot more disposable cash. I work hard for the money I devote to my toys/tools. I use them but also take care of them. If I had purchased the sample in the original images, I would be sorely disappointed. I would expect satisfaction and would be very disappointed in a company that didn't make it right. If I had produced the same, I would not want it out there representing my name.

Just my $0.02
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I remember inspecting/returning a bunch of Southard flippers before I found one that DIDN'T have this problem, lol.

Seems to be a thing to look out for with hollow grinds from Taichung. Although, oddly enough, the most challenging hollow grind I can think of (the Zulu) was also from Taichung and they nailed it. I don't really have a trend, just a few data points. :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!