2020 Online Seconds Sale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KenD

2020 Online Seconds Sale

Post by KenD »

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum, but I have been lurking for a long time, and and I am definitely not new to Spyderco knives. I finally have a question that required me to sign up.
I have never been particularly interested in the seconds sale since it was in-person only and over 800 miles away from me. Now that I may have a chance to participate online, I have a couple of questions for those of you who have been before.

Is the discount the same across the board? (Such as 25% off MSRP for everything.)
Or is the discount based on whatever flaw is present? (For example, small scratch on handle - 5% off, blade won't lock - 70% off.)
Or something in between?

Just trying to plan out a buying strategy! :)
I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
yablanowitz

Re: 2020 Online Seconds Sale

Post by yablanowitz »

No clear answer to that. Prices at the sale seem to be based on production cost. A few(usually returns) will be discounted even further. Mule Team seconds are only about $5 less than original MSRP since they are sold direct anyway with very little markup. Online? Your guess is as good as mine. I expect the prices to be a little higher than in-person since everything will have to be sorted, packed and shipped. They may be even lower since you're buying a pig in a poke. Only the crew knows for sure, and they ain't talking.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Welcome to the form KenD. I don't have an answer but i was curious about this too so I'm glad you asked.
•• Beau
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Prices seem to me to be dependent on the severity of the flaw.

Typically all sales are final which is why customers are given ample time to look these knives over thoroughly. There were plenty at the sale that I passed on regardless of price.

That will be spydercos biggest challenge. No matter how well you try to disclose the flaws and no matter how many times you state that all sales are final you will inevitably have a few unhappy customers. I am sure that even with the in person sales it has happened. I bought a Southard for $95 and got home to find that it had a crack in the blade. Caveat emptor and all that. On the other hand I got a Super Blue Endura for $20 that I never could find a defect on.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi KenD,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I hope Spyderco is adding a couple of bucks to each one to cover the added expense of doing this online. Yes, I know, I'm asking for a price increase. Truly another black swan event.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

KenD wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:11 am
(For example, small scratch on handle - 5% off, blade won't lock - 70% off.)
I'm sure I've heard them say the knives are all supposed to be safe to use. So you should not ever find a knife that won't lock. That would be very unsafe and NOT a "2nd". This isn't a trash sale.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Delete. I responded to the wrong post!
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

KenD wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:11 am
Hey all,
I'm new to the forum, but I have been lurking for a long time, and and I am definitely not new to Spyderco knives. I finally have a question that required me to sign up.
I have never been particularly interested in the seconds sale since it was in-person only and over 800 miles away from me. Now that I may have a chance to participate online, I have a couple of questions for those of you who have been before.

Is the discount the same across the board? (Such as 25% off MSRP for everything.)
Or is the discount based on whatever flaw is present? (For example, small scratch on handle - 5% off, blade won't lock - 70% off.)
Or something in between?

Just trying to plan out a buying strategy! :)
I got a few of the standard Native 5 LW's 2nds last year, that were all the same price. I didn't look closely enough and one has an unfinished back lock that's a bit too short. The back end kicks up above the FRN when the blade is locked open. It will still work, but it's ugly. The way I look at it, other than the lock bar, I've got parts I can cannibalize for the others I've got.

I seem to recall lower prices on returned knives. I got a "used" PM 2 with scratches on the ricasso. Functionally, it's 100%. Did the owner remove the blade, clamp it in a vise and do surgery, I don't know. A used Hanan had a slightly wobbly blade and a pivot screw head that was goobered up. Did the owner use an Allen driver instead of a Torx driver trying to adjust it? I hit the high spots with a brown Tri Angle, put it back in and tuned it up. It's 100% now.