Atlantic Salt in ffg LC200N - won´t it be a great platform for a "wharnie-modded general EDC"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Atlantic Salt in ffg LC200N - won´t it be a great platform for a "wharnie-modded general EDC"?

Post by Wartstein »

Looking at the upcoming LC200N ffg Atlantic Salt version, I can´t help but think what a great platform for a general EDC knife it would make, if it just had (for my liking) a pointier tip - and that can quite easily be done by modding it from sheepsfoot to wharnie.

Lets compare its specs to one very popular EDC model, the PM2 (just to give a perspective - see pics below):

- Blade length Atlantic vs PM2: 3.68 vs 3.44 (a bit more blade on the Atlantic)
- Closed length Atlantic vs PM2: 4.59 vs 4.81 (Atlantic a bit shorter)
- Weight Atlantic vs PM2: 2.6 vs 3.9 (pretty huge difference here)
- Blade stock Atlantic vs PM2: 3,0 mm vs 3.5 mm

So for people who want a very light, pm-ish sized folder, featuring a choil and a pretty ergonomic looking handle (in fact also pm2-ish shape), being totally rustproof, thinner blade - and are fine with a wharnie: This could be a very valid option! (If one can do the wharnie-mod)

Additionally, the Atlantic is available in full SE (though I don´t like - for a general EDC knife - that there is no short plain edge section left at the tip and that the serrations look to be pretty aggressive)

What do you think?!

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Deacon

Re: Atlantic Salt in ffg LC200N - won´t it be a great platform for a "wharnie-modded general EDC"?

Post by The Deacon »

To be honest, I'd be very tempted to carry a PE LC200N Atlantic just the way it is on rainy days, but perhaps that's because I always have a Kiwi with me if I need something with an acute point. Heck, if I like it enough, might even look for someone to make me a set of scales and a backspacer for one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Re: Atlantic Salt in ffg LC200N - won´t it be a great platform for a "wharnie-modded general EDC"?

Post by Evil D »

Back when I was a Para 2 fan I did look into the Atlantic because it's more or less a back lock wharnie Para 2 in ergonomics terms. I'm not sure how I feel about those ergonomics today but making a sheepscliffe out of one has already crossed my mind.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:49 am
Back when I was a Para 2 fan I did look into the Atlantic because it's more or less a back lock wharnie Para 2 in ergonomics terms. I'm not sure how I feel about those ergonomics today but making a sheepscliffe out of one has already crossed my mind.
Yep, the upcoming ffg Atlantic (with a pointier tip) could really be something for folks who want a choil (but not the Ricasso of the Pacific), also want a sligthly smaller footprint, but still the amazingly light weight, linerless construction and the corrosion resistance.

/ As mentioned, also intriguing the SE ffg option.
David, I´d be interested what you as one who really appreciates SE think about the kind of serrations here (just judging from the pic)?
As said, I have a feeling they are more aggressive than I´d like them to be (for general EDC!) and I´d miss the short PE part towards the tip.

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:39 am
To be honest, I'd be very tempted to carry a PE LC200N Atlantic just the way it is on rainy days, but perhaps that's because I always have a Kiwi with me if I need something with an acute point. Heck, if I like it enough, might even look for someone to make me a set of scales and a backspacer for one.

I can imagine that you´d like to carry the Atlantic sizewise, since it has roughly Stretch-dimensions... ;)

/ But concerning custom scales: Do you think this could be done, given that the Atlantic has no liners?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:13 am
Evil D wrote:
Yep, the upcoming ffg Atlantic (with a pointier tip) could really be something for folks who want a choil (but not the Ricasso of the Pacific), also want a sligthly smaller footprint, but still the amazingly light weight, linerless construction and the corrosion resistance.

David, I´d be interested what you as one who really appreciates SE think about the kind of serrations here (just judging from the pic)?
As said, I have a feeling they are more aggressive than I´d like them to be (for general EDC!) and I´d miss the short PE part towards the tip.

It seems like Seki does run their serrations deeper/thicker than Taichung did the Caribbean, but if they're anything like the Rock Jumper I think they'll be fine. One thing I do really wish they'd change is the way the pattern starts and ends on small serrations, I really prefer to at least have the first serration a large one. It makes sharpening a little easier and I like to blend that last little bit of the ricasso into the first serration and remove any snagging potential. I also wouldn't mind seeing about a quarter to half inch of PE at the tip, that one single small serration at the tip kinda bothers me. I think if I do get one and reprofile the tip I'll also just grind off that last small serration so the tip of the blade is like a wee little hawkbill.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This was me in the reveal thread. ;)
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:00 am
Flat ground Salts! :) I am definitely gonna wharncliffe a PE Atlantic Salt.
This partly because of how much I dislike the endura/pacific handle.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Thinking about how there isn't any PE at the tip... that's really going to make reprofiling the blade tricky. When I do it on other knives I can bring the spine down to a sharp point but since the serrations go all the way to the end of the blade I'm not sure how that'll work. I don't think you'll be able to get a piercing tip unless you also grind in your own little bit of PE. This is kind of a deal breaker for this model unless the serration pattern changes. There's little reason to reshape the spine into a wharnie if you can't create a sharp/straight tip because it will still be blunt if you slope the spine down to the last serration.
~David
bearfacedkiller

^ I was thinking the same thing. It will however work well with a plain edge. :)

I think all serrated knives should come with about one inch of plain edge at the tip. I have been carrying my serrated shaman for a couple weeks and I wish it had just a little more plain edge at the tip.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:17 am
I can imagine that you´d like to carry the Atlantic sizewise, since it has roughly Stretch-dimensions... ;)

/ But concerning custom scales: Do you think this could be done, given that the Atlantic has no liners?

Yep, that's one reason I like the Atlantic. PE with a straight edge being brain-dead easy to sharpen is the other. As for the mod, it's not an easy one, but it has been done before. My current "foul weather carry" is this "semi-wharnified" PE H-1 Atlantic...

...that features Birdeyes maple scales over titanium liners with a ti backspacer. Steve Rice (STR) customized it for me back almost 15 years ago, shortly after the Atlantic Salt first came out. Weight is close to that of the PM2, at 3.7 ounces, but that doesn't bother me. Unfortunately, Steve's no longer active, but there's always a chance someone else might be willing to give it a go.

As for PE sections on SE blades, personally, I think Spyderco does combo edge the wrong way. PE section should be near the tang instead of near the tip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:16 am
[

Yep, that's one reason I like the Atlantic. PE with a straight edge being brain-dead easy to sharpen is the other. As for the mod, it's not an easy one, but it has been done before. My current "foul weather carry" is this "semi-wharnified" PE H-1 Atlantic...

...that features Birdeyes maple scales over titanium liners with a ti backspacer. Steve Rice (STR) customized it for me back almost 15 years ago, shortly after the Atlantic Salt first came out. Weight is close to that of the PM2, at 3.7 ounces, but that doesn't bother me. Unfortunately, Steve's no longer active, but there's always a chance someone else might be willing to give it a go.

As for PE sections on SE blades, personally, I think Spyderco does combo edge the wrong way. PE section should be near the tang instead of near the tip.

If you can't find someone to grind down the spine for you mail it to me I'll take care of it. Can't make scales like that though.

And I've talked about the combo edge configuration many times and totally agree, PE at the tang is much more useful than PE at the tip. This didn't turn out quite as attractive as I had hoped but in use it's pretty awesome.
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Pretty awesome indeed!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:13 am
Evil D wrote:
It seems like Seki does run their serrations deeper/thicker than Taichung did the Caribbean, but if they're anything like the Rock Jumper I think they'll be fine. One thing I do really wish they'd change is the way the pattern starts and ends on small serrations, I really prefer to at least have the first serration a large one. It makes sharpening a little easier and I like to blend that last little bit of the ricasso into the first serration and remove any snagging potential. I also wouldn't mind seeing about a quarter to half inch of PE at the tip, that one single small serration at the tip kinda bothers me. I think if I do get one and reprofile the tip I'll also just grind off that last small serration so the tip of the blade is like a wee little hawkbill.
Thanks for your thoughts!

/ Never thought about the "first serrations being a large or small one", but I can certainly see why a large one is preferable there!

/ I am not sure if Seki runs their serrations deeper than Taichung (or Golden) generally, just comparing pics of Endela SE and Rock Jumper SE it really seems that the latter has deeper/more aggressive serrations.
Which perhaps could be intentionally, since the Rock Jumper is a bit more specifically designed to cut fibrous material (/ ropes, while the Endela is a bit more meant to be a general EDC?!? Just a guess though.
Evil D wrote: Thinking about how there isn't any PE at the tip... that's really going to make reprofiling the blade tricky. ....
True, and another thing I did not consider myself. Seems like in this model the PE version is better suited to getting "wharnied"... (and than perhaps made performing "se-isher" using Vivis low grit approach?)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:04 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:17 am

Darby, I missed that post of yours in the reveal-thread, certainly did not want to peddle it around as mine ;)

Paul, very cool that you did that mod already! And the knife looks great (very nice scales!), though I personally would make the tip even ab bit more pointy.
Now imagine this one in ffg and LC 200N...

/ I have only one combo edge knife with the SE section near the tip (Victorinox), and I think I´d agree that this is preferable in a comboedge
In a full SE knife though I think starting with SE and just leave a bit PE towards the tip (as Spyderco does) is perfectly fine.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yes, I’d seriously consider regrinding an Atlantic to have a pointier tip. I’d probably use a PE version though.

I have a SE LC200N Pac Salt on the way and that will receive a bit of a pointier tip too.
bearfacedkiller

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:45 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:04 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Darby, I missed that post of yours in the reveal-thread, certainly did not want to peddle it around as mine ;)
We probably aren’t the only two who have had that idea. Great minds think alike. ;)
-Darby
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:16 am
I just wanted to chime in and say I have felt this way for a long time. A combo edge would serve me well at work, however I use plain edge because I need the plain edge near the handle rather than on the opposite end of the blade. If I were to ever design a Spyderco with a combo edge, I'd flip it around and have the serrations on the front and the plain in the back. That Sliverax looks great and its about exactly what I could use on the job.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’d be interested to try a combo-edge knife with forward serrations as I’ve also pondered the concept (neat how people can come to the same idea independently).
Kind of curious now to look for any cheap knives that already have something similar to do testing and “feel out” this idea.
Would even be bold enough to use a combo-edge in a style similar to that Sliverax for bushcraft.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:40 am
I’d be interested to try a combo-edge knife with forward serrations as I’ve also pondered the concept (neat how people can come to the same idea independently).
Kind of curious now to look for any cheap knives that already have something similar to do testing and “feel out” this idea.
Would even be bold enough to use a combo-edge in a style similar to that Sliverax for bushcraft.
The Victorinox Soldier’s a nice knife to play with to test out a CE knife with ‘wavy style’ forward serrations.

I’ve just reground mine to about 15 degrees inclusive. It cuts really well, but my next task on it will be to give it a proper pointy tip.

As others have mentioned with the SE Atlantic, I’d prefer a bit of PE section at the tip.

(I haven’t prettied up the coarse grindlines yet, or quite reached the bottom of the serrations with the new angle. ;) :rolleyes: :D )