Help with Police model number . . .

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Help with Police model number . . .

Post by JMM »

So I picked up a Police off of the secondary market, it's essentially a SE G10 version of the standard stainless steel (C07...) models but I can't find a model number from the usual places I have looked. First pic is it next to one of the SS models, second is it between some P4s and P3s - any info would be greatly appreciated... TIA!

RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Help with Police model number . . .

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I would guess it’s a very late model Police 2 after they switched to VG-10, so something like C07GS2? Per SpydieWiki, they added a Boye Dent in 2001 which yours has.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't think you are going to find a model number. As far as I know, Spyderco has never made a G-10 Police2 with full liners, 4 way clip, Boye dent and saber ground VG-10 blade. It's either a Frankenspyder or an outright fake.

I've been chasing variations of the Police for a dozen years.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... ce_103.jpg

I thought it was this one, but I am confused. I am no Police expert.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:50 pm

I think that's the carbon fiber version with a single position clip.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

And this is what the clip looks like on that one.

Prior to the P3, Spyderco did two G-10 Police. The first had flat saber grind blades in GIN -1 and later in ATS-55, with no liners and single position clips. The second had full flat grind blades in ATS-55 and single position clips. Early pieces had no liners, later they added a single liner on the clip side. All of them were pinned construction. The carbon fiber was the first with screw construction.

The OP can send it in for authentication, but I'm pretty sure Spyderco didn't make it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Accutron wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:55 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:50 pm

I think that's the carbon fiber version with a single position clip.
yeah, that is what had me confused. I am no expert on the Police but several things were odd. Of course it could be a transition model to the 3.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sorry, no such thing. The P3 was a total redesign, basically a whole new model although they kept the C07 designation. It also came out before the change to 4 position clip on the stainless Police.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The mystery deepens. I wonder what the story is with it then. If it’s a fake, then it’s very competently made. I’m not seeing many signs of that aside from the fact it’s a knife that just “shouldn’t” exist.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It's a lot less mysterious when you remember seeing them on Ali Express a few years back.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:51 pm
It's a lot less mysterious when you remember seeing them on Ali Express a few years back.
I agree with your assessment that it's a fake. Even ignoring the fact that it's a configuration never offered by Spyderco, all of the engravings are wrong. The POLICE and logo are the wrong color, too bold and too close to the primary bevel. The ricasso stamp is too low and too close to the primary bevel.
Monty

Post by Monty »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:01 pm

I've been chasing variations of the Police for a dozen years.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Hey folks, sorry for the late reply, hectic last day and half... l've been comparing the shape, mechanics, lockup, 'feel' of my new specimen particularly the SS Police that I bought from National Knives. They feel identical in every conceivable way. I would swear I've seen this model before, but not in a couple yeaers. Comparing their spines, blades, lockup, everything, it just feels like the SS model with G10 slapped over it instead...

...any further angles or shots wanted?

Cheers,

John
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The SS Police is pinned together. The edges of the handle are chamfered. You couldn't just add G-10 scales over the top, you'd have to build an entire handle from scratch.

Send it to Spyderco. Ask them for information. Expect a reply that says "This isn't one of ours."

I saw those on Ali Express (a.k.a. Grand Fake Central) and thought "It's too bad those are fakes, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if they were real."
zemogKA

Post by zemogKA »

The crooked "Spyderco VG-10" text seems like a giveaway this isn't genuine.
You can still view the aliexpress police model that looks exactly like this one. Its discontinued but labeled as a J&J Police 3.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I hope you send it in and update this thread with spyderco's reply.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:14 am
And this is what the clip looks like on that one.
I like your CF scales!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

JMM wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:10 am
Hey folks, sorry for the late reply, hectic last day and half... l've been comparing the shape, mechanics, lockup, 'feel' of my new specimen particularly the SS Police that I bought from National Knives. They feel identical in every conceivable way. I would swear I've seen this model before, but not in a couple yeaers. Comparing their spines, blades, lockup, everything, it just feels like the SS model with G10 slapped over it instead...

...any further angles or shots wanted?

Cheers,

John
Hey, I'm replying to try to help give one more input that this is 100% definitely a fake you bought. Sorry you're in that position of having gotten screwed over. It seems like you are trying to convince yourself it must be real but I'd bet lots of money it is a fake. That is how sure I am just based on your photos.

I'd hate to see you waste even more money by paying shipping to and from Spyderco to mail to them just for them to also confirm what several of us have been trying to suggest in this thread. Can you send it back and get fully refunded?

I don't personally care to see more angles or photos, but since you asked and I think it would help YOU realize it is a fake you could post photos showing close ups of the "Spyderco VG-10" and "Seki City Japan" and the "POLICE and bug logo" that will make it all the more undeniable this is not legitimate.

It's a crazy world we live in that fakes are such a problem. :(
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Monty - I get that a lot. :D

JonLeBlanc - Thanks. The CF Police is almost too pretty to carry and use. Almost.

zemogaKA - Not only is that marking crooked, it appears to be a surface transfer or etch instead of being stamped in the way Seki does.

Mystery Flavor - I don't want him to waste more money either, but he doesn't seem inclined to believe us, so it's the only way to convince him.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Mystery Flavor - I don't want him to waste more money either, but he doesn't seem inclined to believe us, so it's the only way to convince him.
Yeah I figured as much too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb