2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Post by yablanowitz »

Probably be better to close this one and start another.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Sorry, but I'm having a problem determining when is the sale, 11/20/2020? Please post the date.
robis1923

Post by robis1923 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:15 am
robis1923 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:20 am

And the hassle of dealing with complaining customers who don't understand what a second is or have buyer's remorse. I've said it before and I hope I am wrong, but I think they're opening a can of worms they'll regret.

I'm curious how they are going to do it, but I have complete faith that they have thought it through and are well prepared! :D

Here are some suggestions

1. Weed out any non-cosmetic defects and store them away for the next in-person seconds sale

2. Disclaimer/waiver stating clearly that all knives will have notches above the spydiehole to indicate that they are factory seconds, they are not intended for re-sale, all knives will have cosmetic defects of varying degrees (give examples of some defects and maybe some photos of examples of defects), and all sales are final. must electronically sign this waiver before entering the sale. This is how they did the online seconds sale for All-Clad cookware this year (see link below for their disclaimer).

https://homeandcooksales.com/?cjevent=a ... 6a0a24060e

3. Knives are listed on the website by the model number and quantity available without describing the defects of each individual knife.

We are basically buying the knives knowing they will be seconds and will have flaws. I don't need to know specifically that the clip is scratched or the G10 is scratched or the blade is scratched or whatever. We are buying them (presumably) to be users so all that stuff is inconsequential when we get a great user knife for a fraction of the cost. Buy a new knife from an authorized dealer if you want a brand new perfect flawless knife to put in your safe. :D
It'll be interesting. I took the day off to attend the sale. I am just going to go skiing instead. I'll wait for the sale next year (if it happens).
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic discussion of the 2020 Seconds Sale. We truly appreciate your interest. As many of you noted, bringing the sale completely online is a technological challenge. Before committing to specific dates, we wanted to make sure we had all our IT assets wired tight. We are confident we've done that, so we are now prepared to announce the dates.

The Online Factory Seconds Sale will start at 10 a.m. MT on Thursday, Dec. 3rd and end at 5 p.m. MT on Saturday, Dec. 5th. When the sale goes live, a link will be available from the Spyderco.com homepage.

Please follow our social media and the Spyderco forum for more announcements and updates.

Thank you for your patience.

Stay safe,

Mike
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:19 am
Hey, All:

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic discussion of the 2020 Seconds Sale. We truly appreciate your interest. As many of you noted, bringing the sale completely online is a technological challenge. Before committing to specific dates, we wanted to make sure we had all our IT assets wired tight. We are confident we've done that, so we are now prepared to announce the dates.

The Online Factory Seconds Sale will start at 10 a.m. MT on Thursday, Dec. 3rd and end at 5 p.m. MT on Saturday, Dec. 5th. When the sale goes live, a link will be available from the Spyderco.com homepage.

Please follow our social media and the Spyderco forum for more announcements and updates.

Thank you for your patience.

Stay safe,

Mike

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate the work you guys are putting into making this happen! This will likely be my only chance to participate in a seconds sale until my kids are grown and I can justify a trip out there. I'm super excited!

Also, I am glad to hear I have 20 days to liquidate every non-essential item I have on eBay in preparation! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

10 am MT, is this 5 pm or 6 pm CET? When I google this, I get divergent results... :confused:

Oh, and Thanks to Mike et al. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

archangel wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:47 am
10 am MT, is this 5 pm or 6 pm CET? When I google this, I get divergent results... :confused:

Oh, and Thanks to Mike et al. :)
Subtract 47min from the time stamp on your last post.
•• Beau
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

1000 MST should be 1800 CET...

https://24timezones.com/difference/denver/cet#gref

Stay safe,

Mike
zemogKA

Post by zemogKA »

Will locals will be able to pick up their orders in person? I'd love to save on the shipping cost, especially since we'll be paying on state taxes others won't.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'll probably at least log in to see what it's all about but not sure I'll actually buy anything if I'm buying something without at least an idea of why the item is a second. I have enough non-second knives (firsts?) to last several lifetimes but I do like the idea of buying something I don't already have as a second. I guess I'll wait and see
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ll check it out to see what’s available. Thanks Mike.
Josh
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Awesome.
Holland

Post by Holland »

very cool! might have grab a couple things
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can't wait for the next update so we can know what the format will be (sight unseen mystery box, or each knife/accessory photographed and listed.... Or something in between)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I'm so excited about this! Now I just gotta raise some cash!!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Depending on the interest of scalpers with bots for reselling Spyderco knives we might not be able to buy much or anything at all.

They can buy them fast in large numbers and you might find them on ebay at inflated prices.

We've had the example with nvidia cards launch

https://uk.pcmag.com/graphic-cards/1287 ... 3080-cards

https://medium.com/pcmag-access/how-a-b ... 5c30e34024

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-s ... 090-launch

This is not possible by normal humans clicking add to basket and buy:
Within seconds of launch, the cards sold out across all major retailers,

We had about 8 people from my work all coordinate to attempt to get these cards for our ML endeavors. No joy. I saw 5 cards become available and added instantly. Removed from cart due to no stock. Those bots are fast.

Or the PS5 launch
https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-scalpe ... se-to-2000

I dont't know if Spyderco will do whatever upgrade nvidia is considering doing to stop bots from snatching the inventory.
Haven't seen any interest from Spyderco to facilitate the forum members either, we don't deserve that :D
After all, Spyderco wants to get rid of the inventory.

We'll see how this goes, might be over in seconds :D
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wow, never thought of that and certainly hope it isn't the case here. That would be a major bummer for everyone interested.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bots have to be programmed and we don't have any idea how Spyderco is doing this sale or if they are even using their own website or a third-party. If they can keep the details close to their vest until the actual time of the sale then that should help.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Most bots can be thwarted with proper verifications such as captcha and human order reviewing. The majority of nvideas problems were/are of their own doing and completely unrelated.
Not sure why people are getting so worked up over factory seconds, I appreciate the opportunity to participate but won’t be loosing any sleep over it.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

w3tnz wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Not sure why people are getting so worked up over factory seconds,
Haha! That's funny. I was asking myself the same thing. People complain that their new knife has a machining mark on the inside of the liner that you can see if you hold your flashlight just right, or that there's a scuff on the edge of the blade that they're going to use to see how much cardboard they can cut. Yet they'll fly across the country to get a "second." Ahdunno. Maybe the prices are too good to pass up. I don't really want anything, but maybe the prices will be too good to pass up.