Smock grind issue [uneven hollow grind to transition line]

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michal O

Smock grind issue [uneven hollow grind to transition line]

Post by Michal O »

Hello.

I'm ''new'' here but not really. I was here once but years ago and my account was probably deleted, I was waiting for email to activate old account so long that I created new one. But that's not the subject.

Few weeks ago I purchased Smock from local shop in my country. Generally nice knife but with one thing that buggs me from the begining. And it's uneven hollow grind. Anyone else had this issue in this knife and was covered under warranty by customer service? I'm thinking about sending it to Golden butwhen I contacted them, their statement wasn't clear they will replace it.

Last edited by Michal O on Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
JRinFL

Re: Smock grind issue

Post by JRinFL »

That grind is pretty far off from normal. Hopefully Sal or someone else will spot this post and reply. Will the seller take a return or exchange?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

took me awhile to notice a difference.
Are you referring to the top photo where the grind starts from the transition, whereby the bottom photo starts above the transition?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That looks the same as my grind.

Resized_20200618_092544.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
araneae

Post by araneae »

I don't see an issue.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

mtb2104 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:03 am
Are you referring to the top photo where the grind starts from the transition, whereby the bottom photo starts above the transition?

If that is the issue you see, then I just have to say Pleeeeeease.........
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

archangel wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:25 am
mtb2104 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:03 am

If that is the issue you see, then I just have to say Pleeeeeease.........
:D
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:00 am
That grind is pretty far off from normal. Hopefully Sal or someone else will spot this post and reply. Will the seller take a return or exchange?
Return time has ended, only option may be exchange at Spyderco. But I don't want to send it if there is small chance for it.
TkoK83Spy wrote: That looks the same as my grind.

Resized_20200618_092544.jpeg
Ok, but show if another side with Smock logo has same grind or different.

On the Spyderco logo side grind is higher and grind line ends about 2 mm earlier than on Smock logo side.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

On the Spyderco Facebook pages guys are crazy about these Smocks and pictures are always being posted of them. One guy mentioned the same issue, and since then I've noticed the majority of Smocks posted have the same uneven grind from one side to the other. So, it looks like a lot Smocks are like that, however I do NOT think that is how its supposed to be. My assumption is the grind line is supposed to meet that corner perfectly like the first picture in the OP, and the other side is the mistake grind. Its one of those things that once you notice it really, really sticks out, and if I owned one like that it would really bother me. I'm not too picky with slightly uneven edge grinds, but that's pretty significant. TkoK83Spy's grind looks even worse than the one in the OP.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Yikes, those are pretty botched grind jobs.

I just looked at my DLT Smock and thank goodness, the hollow grind transition edge is the same on both sides.

My S30V Smock, which I sold a while ago to make room for my DLT Smock, also had perfect hollow grind transition edges.

Weird actually because this is the first time I have ever seen such a flawed grind in an otherwise awesome knife. I just hope your knives are outliers and can be returned.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Ez556 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:30 am
On the Spyderco Facebook pages guys are crazy about these Smocks and pictures are always being posted of them. One guy mentioned the same issue, and since then I've noticed the majority of Smocks posted have the same uneven grind from one side to the other. So, it looks like a lot Smocks are like that, however I do NOT think that is how its supposed to be. My assumption is the grind line is supposed to meet that corner perfectly like the first picture in the OP, and the other side is the mistake grind. Its one of those things that once you notice it really, really sticks out, and if I owned one like that it would really bother me. I'm not too picky with slightly uneven edge grinds, but that's pretty significant. TkoK83Spy's grind looks even worse than the one in the OP.
I've watched some reviews on youtube before buying and yes, grinds are different on various pieces, but in every case grinds are same on both sides even if higher than it should be. I would be totally ok with that if it was same grind on both sides, higher or proper, but symetrical. Maybe I will get used to it if it's not covered by warranty or sell it.

It buggs me a little in $200 knife, especially in comparison to some Chinese brands selling perfectly done knives for less than $100.

Are those grinds made by free hand, with jig or by machine? If by some machine or with jig it's even more strange.

I'm courious if Sal will respond to this.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Taking a look at his customs, it looks like some grinds meet that corner, some land above that corner. I have to say I find that a little odd that it’s different aesthetically from knife to knife, but Mr. Smock knows how to make his knives best. Image
That being said, I think the fact that the grind is different from one side to the other on the Spyderco productions is still an unintended problem. Looking at the pre-production models that had the unique clip design, the grinds on the show side meet the corner. I would say this is how it is intended to be.
But if you browse pictures of knives in the wild, it’s a mixed bag whether they do or not on the show side, and obviously some knives even differ from one side to the other.
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I agree, once you see it, you can't not see it and it would bug me terribly considering the expense. That grind on a value folder wouldn't bother me. Actually thanks for posting this, I don't think I would now buy a Smock unseen and it was on my list for the near future.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's honestly something I never noticed with mine until I checked some pics of it because of this thread. Mine is evenly, uneven on both sides...so I guess that's kind of a plus haha! Oh well, still cuts just fine!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Michal O wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:21 am
Hello.

I'm ''new'' here but not really. I was here once but years ago and my account was probably deleted, I was waiting for email to activate old account so long that I created new one. But that's not the subject.

Same here.

Michal O wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:21 am
weeks ago I purchased Smock from local shop in my country. Generally nice knife but with one thing that buggs me from the begining. And it's uneven hollow grind. Anyone else had this issue in this knife and was covered under warranty by customer service? I'm thinking about sending it to Golden butwhen I contacted them, their statement wasn't clear they will replace it.

...that would annoy the **** out of me. Not acceptable IMHO.
notorious fidgeteer
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:13 am
Mine is evenly, uneven on both sides...so I guess that's kind of a plus haha! Oh well, still cuts just fine!
If it’s the same on both sides, I could live with that. I’m glad yours ended up like that. It’s the difference from one side to the other that would really bother me. I hope those who have knives like that and are otherwise happy with the knife don’t ever notice it! It’s one of those cases where ignorance is bliss I guess! I do hope that it is something that gets fixed in production, because the knives with uneven grinds really should be ending up in the seconds sale coming up.
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

checked mine just now, and both sides exhibit the same high(er) hollow grinds too! :D
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Here’s mine. The hollow grind pretty much meets right at the angle on the spine on the left side, and it’s meets the spine about 0.08” (2 mm) back from that angle on the right side.
Attachments
4F680B21-32F6-47A1-B757-E50B5C871E14.jpeg
CC8744BB-135A-40DD-867E-2EF4D765B5EC.jpeg
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Does anyone know if the Smock blades are hollow ground by hand? That could explain the variation from side to side.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Pokey wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:46 am
Does anyone know if the Smock blades are hollow ground by hand? That could explain the variation from side to side.
I had the same question to customer service and they skipped that to answer...

Higher grind cuts better. :D But I wish it was same on both sides, especially when I pay for it equivalent of $215 in my funny country, where to pay $200 for a knife is like for you to pay $800, and I get a lemon. Because stuff like that I don't blame people who rather buy clones or Chinese legit brands. :(

PS It's hard to response for me, because my every post must be approved by moderator, don't know how long it will be that way.