Sage 1 Cool Grey Maxamet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Sage 1 Cool Grey Maxamet

Post by Sharp Guy »

I received a notification earlier today that the Sage 1 Cool Grey Maxamet is now shipping to dealers. I'm a bit surprised nobody's mentioned it before now. I pre-ordered this after it was announced in the Reveal #6. Now I'm having mixed feelings about it. I think I'm still going to get it but only because I have most of the other Sage versions.

Anyone else planning on getting one?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Re: Sage 1 Cool Grey Maxamet

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For the price, I'd rather reach for the PM2 or Para 3 that seem to be popping up again lately. I'm also not a Sage collector, so that doesn't factor in for me. I'm not hating on it, just feel a bit better about the compression lock vs a liner lock at that price.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I think it's cool but I'm not really into liner locks anymore
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 pm
For the price, I'd rather reach for the PM2 or Para 3 that seem to be popping up again lately. I'm also not a Sage collector, so that doesn't factor in for me. I'm not hating on it, just feel a bit better about the compression lock vs a liner lock at that price.
Yeah I get that. As much as I like my Para 3s and PM2s I've been carrying other models lately. So a new version of a Sage does appeal to me even if it is a variation of a liner lock I already have. And yes it is pricey because of the Maxamet. I'm not even a huge fan of high wear resistant steels yet here I am in line to buy it. There's definitely something wrong me! :)

Not sure why but every year about this time I start questioning my sanity and vow to stop adding knives to the pile. I have slowed down quite a bit the past few months but only because I've been buying shooting stuff. Now I'm trying to decide, do I really need that new Sage or should I put the money toward that new scope I've been considering (or ammo, etc). Guess I have a few days to decide
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It was the 3D printing, now the shooting stuff...but the Spyderhead in you always prevails my friend ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Pre-ordered this and am excited. Would have preferred a frame lock in titanium but can't have everything.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:04 pm
It was the 3D printing, now the shooting stuff...but the Spyderhead in you always prevails my friend ;)
The products I make on my 3D printers is what pays for all the knives and shooting gear :)
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't do liner or frame locks as a general rule, so I will pass.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Liner lock is my fav lock so I might purchase one. My only problem is Maxamet.I only own a Para3 in Maxamet and I tell you, it’s not an easy steel to live with. Those scales are cool though. We shall see...

P.S. I really don’t understand why one would favor the back lock over the liner/frame lock but...to each his own.(I am talking Spyderco made liner locks and Chris Reeve frame locks here). Never had any problems with one(self opening among others) and they are so intuitive and easy to manipulate in every day use. I only wish Spyderco release more liner locks.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I bought a Sage 1 CF as new old stock 2 months ago.
I like it very much. The Linerlock is very good. And the knife at all is very good to handle and looks and feels nearly perfect.
But most of my current spyders are Backlocks and i also like them a lot.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I love Maxamet and I might end up getting one sometime. Not right now, though - I have my eye on some others.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

The Sage line has a pretty thin blade. So if you want some slicey Maxamet, this is probably your best bet.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Hmm.. Chaparral Maxamet. :D Could that be too thin for it?

But yeah. I would def trade my Maxamet Para3 for a Sage1 one.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

My most anticipated knife in years, and it won’t be for collection.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

eh. Not really my thing. Although I like the model itself, I’m sorta hoping more of the sage series is in line for material upgrades. I’d snatch up an s90v sage 2 in an instant, in some funky anodization I assume.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I think this knife is awesome. I gave my extended thoughts in a previous thread, but it's a frickin sage in non s30v, not only non s30v but frickin Maxamet, and it's the first time Taichung is using Maxamet. Also the Sage series is consistently one the thinnest ground Spyderco's. Thin ground Maxamet, mmm, yes. I dig the actual knife, and all of the new possibilities it represents.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Thought it was a Ti frame lock Maxmet sage for a second haha. I hope they bring back the Sage 2
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sage2 K390 FTW :)

I'll be picking up this one too. It's great to see the Sage1 live on, wish it still had the black clip though.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:43 am
Liner lock is my fav lock so I might purchase one. My only problem is Maxamet.I only own a Para3 in Maxamet and I tell you, it’s not an easy steel to live with. Those scales are cool though. We shall see...

P.S. I really don’t understand why one would favor the back lock over the liner/frame lock but...to each his own.(I am talking Spyderco made liner locks and Chris Reeve frame locks here). Never had any problems with one(self opening among others) and they are so intuitive and easy to manipulate in every day use. I only wish Spyderco release more liner locks.

Though I actually still do prefer backlocks over liner-/framelock, I still want to second the highlighted part.
Good linerlocks (think Military) are great in use, even with gloves, and the closing motion is very natural while the knife stays put very secure in the hand (basically all fingers stay wrapped around the handle).

I certainly wish for more medium-to-higher end linerlock Spydies, it´d be great if they´d offer some of there comp. lock models in an alternative linerlock-version.

/ As for the Maxamet Sage 1: If I thought about trying Maxamet (I don´t a this point): This knife would probably my first option.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)