2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Post by SG89 »

I bet this super cordial thread is really encouraging the staff getting the online sale ready... Oh wait
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Is a 204p millie too old to show up at this sale? I have absolutely no idea what is safe to assume might be available!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Hey, don't worry guys. The Spyderco team is a thoughtful bunch and they'll do what they think is best. I don't think it's unreasonable to want an advantage for true fans for something like this, but I wouldn't turn that want into expectation. I for one am just happy I'll get to even come close to the real event, ironically in the year when I've had the best chance yet to be able to actually go even if it would mean I'd have to quarantine once I get home. I'm just stockpiling vacation days!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:34 pm
Is a 204p millie too old to show up at this sale? I have absolutely no idea what is safe to assume might be available!
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure much older models will be there. I don't know how it works, if they just ration these out bit by bit each year, but I keep being surprised at what people pick up from years past.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Sndmn11

Post by Sndmn11 »

I'm just hoping to find Mules, Junction, Bradleys.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:34 pm
In 2017 there were a gaggle of the CTS-204P Military models; months later I discovered a hairline crack above the Spyder hole on mine.

I've been on the hunt for another one the last two years at the Seconds Sale but nothing. I still use that one, I don't put any lateral pressure on any of my knives (use other tools for prying), so far it's held up well! :spyder:
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I dunno about you guys, but I'm just here to cheer for the Spyderco staff who will be hard at work making this possible.

You can do this, Golden!!! ;)

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:24 pm
I bet this super cordial thread is really encouraging the staff getting the online sale ready... Oh wait
You can’t please em all!
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think I'm going to wait and see how this is all going to work before I decide whether or not I'll participate. I've always wanted to make it to a seconds sale but more to see the SFO and meet a bunch of Spydieheads than to buy a whole bunch of knives. I do like the idea of buying some seconds but I don't think there's much that I really want. I also think I'd want to be able to handle the knives I'm buying rather than buying something blind and taking my chances. I'll probably take a look either way to see if there's something I want but probably won't get too carried away. I keep saying I need to reduce the amount of knives I have. So something like this will be counterproductive.

And....for those pushing for Spyderco to give forum members first dibs. That sounds great but don't forget Spyderco has a presence on other forums and social media platforms. I'm sure they want it to be as fair as possible for all their ELUs. So I wouldn't get my my hopes up for any special treatment
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Interesting thread.. I’ll say I’m very grateful Spyderco is doing this sale online as it hasn’t been feasible for me to go in the past. I’m really stoked at the chance to participate. Thanks!! :)

One suggestion: if at all possible, I think it would go a long way to making everything run smoother if, when we put an item in our carts during the sale, it’s reserved for “x” amount of time (5 minutes, 20 minutes, however long). I think the most frustrating potential from the sale is getting an item in your cart and it being gone before we’re able to checkout.

Really excited for this, and thanks again!!
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i can finally get a seconds knife from a sale yay. how will this be done.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wright.88 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:56 pm
Interesting thread.. I’ll say I’m very grateful Spyderco is doing this sale online as it hasn’t been feasible for me to go in the past. I’m really stoked at the chance to participate. Thanks!! :)

One suggestion: if at all possible, I think it would go a long way to making everything run smoother if, when we put an item in our carts during the sale, it’s reserved for “x” amount of time (5 minutes, 20 minutes, however long). I think the most frustrating potential from the sale is getting an item in your cart and it being gone before we’re able to checkout.

Very good point. Can't imagine how wishy washy people get once they realize they have $2000 worth of knives in their cart!

I'm sorry to have said something about us forum members getting first dibs. I was kind of joking, and also a bit of wishful thinking. Didn't think it would take off like that and cause some confrontation. None of us have any idea what to expect, but it's also safe to say...any of us on this forum, likely already have more than enough Spyderco knives to keep us happy as it is! There are far worse, 1st world problems for us to actually worry about these days besides some discounted knives. Don't forget that.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I_like_knives wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Many people, for one reason or another, cannot make a cross country trip to Golden for a knife sale. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of us that are willing make some sacrifices to make it happen. And yet, some Spyderco fans are lucky enough to live right down the road from SFO and the whole thing is no big deal. Life aint fair.

Or an eleven-hour-overseas-flight... ;)

Reading through the posts here: All valid points, and this sale seems to have the usual two sides of the coin:
- A probably once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for people who don´t live in America (or do, but far away from SFO)
- But also probably one for flippers and the like...

I am sure Spyderco will work this one out well :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:10 pm

Very good point. Can't imagine how wishy washy people get once they realize they have $2000 worth of knives in their cart!
That's hilarious. I sometimes participate in local gun auctions. Rather than waste a weekend listening to an auctioneer, I do all my bidding online in the weeks prior. I know what I'll pay, it's always going to be on the low end of fair, and that's that. Last month there were a LOT of nice guns, hundreds of guns. It took a several days to view the entire inventory, and I bid on a handful each day without thinking much of it. Later in the week, I looked at the summary page, and was a little... concerned... about the total I had committed to buy. Had I won them all, there would have been a bit of explaining to do to Mrs. Iron. Luckily, folks nowadays are paying on the high-end of fair and I wasn't on the hook for so much that I was relegated to a diet of beans and rice.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I don’t really care if I get some kind of special treatment or not, I just want to score a cheap G10 Manix in some fancy steel I can beat the heck out of an not feel bad! And if I can get one, a cheap Gayle Bradley 2 I can do the same to...
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

I would like to thank the Spyderco crew in advance for what will surely require great efforts to execute. It’s wonderful to have this opportunity to look forward to especially in these bleak times.
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Thanks for trying this, Team Spyderco. Looking forward to grabbing one or two.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Trevitrace wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:31 am
Thanks for trying this, Team Spyderco. Looking forward to grabbing one or two.
Likewise!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I just hope they've got the server capacity. The demand is going to be off the charts.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

[quote=TkoK83Spy post_id=1467535 time=1605071447 user_id=1000384]
[quote=Wright.88 post_id=1467526 time=1605070582 user_id=26237]

[/quote]

I'm sorry to have said something about us forum members getting first dibs. I was kind of joking, and also a bit of wishful thinking. Didn't think it would take off like that and cause some confrontation. None of us have any idea what to expect, but it's also safe to say...any of us on this forum, likely already have more than enough Spyderco knives to keep us happy as it is! There are far worse, 1st world problems for us to actually worry about these days besides some discounted knives. Don't forget that.
[/quote]

I was joking as well. As for discovering they have $2000 worth of knives in their cart, as a vetern of several in-person sales, you are way, way short. Based on my own basket, I'd say the average shopper has at least $5000 worth tossed in their basket to sort through. I usually have to cut back on my first pass to get down to a grand.