2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
I_like_knives

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Post by I_like_knives »

I think I'll sit this one out.

Taking a few days off work, driving halfway across the country, and meeting cool people is all a part of the great Spyderco experience.

Simply buying knives online? I can do that any ole time I please.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:00 pm
Good luck to everyone and I mean absolutely no offense to anyone, but this is going to be a complete **** show.
Agreed... as others have posted I predict server/hosting issues :eek:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

This sounds exciting to me, especially if we get to suggest possible "if available" models. It would be a 2600 mile round trip for me, not a good way for an older guy to spend a pandemic.

About the ebay problem, since ebay supposedly guarantees that you can get a refund if you didn't get what you paid for, it seems that misrepresenting a factory second as just a use knife would qualify for a refund... but I suppose some of you must have tried that approach. I wouldn't think anybody could get away with selling a factory second pistol, chainsaw, dirt bike, or whatever, without pointing it out up front.

On the positive side, I've noticed that a lot of sellers do point it out, and I picked up a great little CPM 154/S90V carbon fiber Manix 2 that way, one of my faves.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I_like_knives wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:43 pm
Taking a few days off work, driving halfway across the country, and meeting cool people is all a part of the great Spyderco experience.
That makes sense, in a way. It's like the Deadheads who would follow the band around the country. I was content, though, to see them when they came to town, and to participate in tape trees. In the same vein, I'm content to pay retail price for a knife, from the comfort of my home, rather than spend thousands in wages and travel to save a couple hundred bucks. Maybe some day, though...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I_like_knives wrote:
I think I'll sit this one out.

Simply buying knives online? I can do that any ole time I please.
Wholly agreed except I almost feel obligated to participate in the "online seconds sale" now. I took the time off work and arranged travel plans months in advance to attend in person. It would be too expensive for me to cancel the plans I have already made, so I have to just bite the bullet and go to CO anyway.

RustyIron wrote:
I_like_knives wrote:
That makes sense, in a way. It's like the Deadheads who would follow the band around the country. I was content, though, to see them when they came to town, and to participate in tape trees. In the same vein, I'm content to pay retail price for a knife, from the comfort of my home, rather than spend thousands in wages and travel to save a couple hundred bucks. Maybe some day, though...
Depends how crazy you are but camping out before the sale and hanging out and chatting with fellow Spydie nuts all night before the sale is half the reason I enjoy going so much. The knives and experience in SFO make up the rest! :D

Also, having traveled to the sale from Boston for the past 4 years, I've always been able to come out well "ahead" with my value acquired to travel expenses ratio.(I don't sell anything) If that makes sense. :cool:
-Nick :bug-red
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

A random guy at the toboggan hill today pulled out a Delica 4 to cut a piece of rope for his kids sled. I said, "hey, Spyderco are good knives." We talked for 20 minutes, and now I would like to go camp out for a Spyderco seconds sale.

I'll take a run at the online thing if it works. I would like a deal on a knife that I know is authentic. I do not have the heart or money to play ebay or any other 3rd party seller.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
brj

Post by brj »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:00 am
Awesome!
I can finally get some seconds.
Same here, sooo looking forward to this
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:00 pm
Good luck to everyone and I mean absolutely no offense to anyone, but this is going to be a complete **** show.

Not necessarily. We don't even know what they plan on doing yet. All-Clad has very successful online seconds sales each year, so it can definitely be done. Keep the faith!!

I'm personally very excited! I don't see myself being able to go to CO for a knife sale anytime in the near future until my kids are grown up, so this is my one shot to participate and I appreciate the effort Spyderco is putting into giving us this rare opportunity!! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I say they provide a certain sign in code for us forum members, and we get the first crack at these knives :D :p

For me, I honestly can't think of any particular knife I'm seeking so if it's chaotic, it won't really bother me...though I know I could also suddenly spend hundreds of dollars out of the blue! Very interested in how it all pans out.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
archangel

Post by archangel »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:59 am
I say they provide a certain sign in code for us forum members, and we get the first crack at these knives :D :p

For me, I honestly can't think of any particular knife I'm seeking so if it's chaotic, it won't really bother me...though I know I could also suddenly spend hundreds of dollars out of the blue! Very interested in how it all pans out.

That sounds like a really good idea. Would that be possible, Kristi? Give active forum members a slight advantage?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Didn't they do something that for the forum knife one year? I don't know how I feel about asking for an advantage. Also, who's to say there aren't flippers lurking among us? They could be RIGHT BEHIND YOU AHHHH!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
NYLife

Post by NYLife »

Having an Online option is great, how successful it will be will depend on how it is implemented, will the servers handle the load, will there be some form of a limit per person, lots of questions, but I am sure Spyderco is considering all of it and working on the best scenario
Be stronger than your excuses
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

And the code should be by join date.
;) :D

Unless I'm proxy shopping, I'm not looking for anything in particular. Nothing they can do online can compare to the spectacle of stepping into the store and seeing thousands of knives on the tables. Now that's chaos!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:17 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

No, by post count, and must have been active in past month PRIOR to this announcement. That should get me near enough to the front to grab the few that elude me... :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:00 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

No, by post count, and must have been active in past month PRIOR to this announcement. That should get me near enough to the front to grab the few that elude me... :D
Haha, what a grand idea :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

^^^^Great ideas here! Either way I’m excited to finally have a chance to participate after all of these years!!!
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:00 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I don't think you really want to encourage me to make thousands of posts in the next few days... those would be very low quality posts.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Proposal/Idea: Forum members that are keen to participate must send with PM their SFO login name to a nominated :spyder: official. Forum members must have been registered by Nov 1st, and must have posted at least 10 posts or so.

The Factory Seconds sale website will be open only to registered users on the first day of the sale, then to all customers the day after.

How does that sound?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Sounds like there’s be nothing left for the non-forum members.

I didn’t think I’d check out the sale due to finances, but I could be interested in a millie if the version were right.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:02 am
Sounds like there’s be nothing left for the non-forum members.

I didn’t think I’d check out the sale due to finances, but I could be interested in a millie if the version were right.
Seriously? If every active forum member bought a dozen knives or spent $1000 dollars, there would still be stock left based on what I have seen in past years.