Switch Gamers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
przemekspce

Re: Switch Gamers

Post by przemekspce »

I agree, it's a great game. The world is tempting to explore it!
:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

I picked up a new game. Well, two new games on one cartridge. Risk of Rain 1+2. Only $20 for both, or $10-16 if you buy digital.

I read about them looking for new roguelikes for my Switch. I enjoy games I can play in short 10-30 minutes bursts, because epic quests like BotW or Skyrim take me a while to complete being so busy.

RoR 1 is 2D, and the second game is 3D. So far I've only tried the first. It plays vaguely like a sidescrolling Enter the Gungeon, except enemy difficulty is based on how long you've stayed on a given level rather than which level you're on.

The game is really tough, I've only made it to level 2 so far. The music is really good.

Risk of Rain 2 is supposed to be the same thing but full 3D FPS. Very excited to see how the game play translates to FPS later this week.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Risk of Rain 2 is superb. Quickly became one of my favorite games on the Switch. It's a lot tougher than 1, which I managed to beat within a few days.

Recently bought Hyper Light Drifter on sale for $10. I've played it briefly at a friends house and its a really good game with some Zelda and Dark Souls influences.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Been playing Fire Emblem Three Houses a bit.

Good game, love the battles. Not as fond of the academy stuff. But, overall it's a fun game.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Good game, love the battles. Not as fond of the academy stuff. But, overall it's a fun game.
I played the two for GBA back in the day. It's a fun series. Dunno if you're interested in the old titles from the series but in about a week they're releasing Fire Emblem 1 in the US for the first time. Originally for the NES, so super dated, but I plan to check it out:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/f ... ht-switch/

I ended up finishing Hyper Light Drifter. It was short, took me about 6 hours of play time, but I had played through nearly half before so I was pretty familiar with the layout. Nothing but good things to say about it, its among my favorite 2D games. Plan to go back through it on hard mode / NG+ sometime down the road.

Also beat Super Metroid again. It's one of my favorite games of all time. Did a few sequence breaks like Kraid before high jump boots and power bombs as soon as I entered lower Brinstar, but nothing too crazy. I've beat this game on a crazy number of platforms at this point....PSP, Xbox, SNES, Wii, Switch, PC, Android, DC, PS Classic and others.....

Each run I find something new to appreciate about the game. It's such a well crafted title. So many little things were a head of its time, like the way in game creatures teach you hidden moves and the way the world is built to frequently loop you back to where you need to be after gaining X power-up to minimize the required backtracking. Still head and shoulders above many Metroidvanias made 25 years later.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:55 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:00 pm

I played the two for GBA back in the day. It's a fun series. Dunno if you're interested in the old titles from the series but in about a week they're releasing Fire Emblem 1 in the US for the first time. Originally for the NES, so super dated, but I plan to check it out:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/f ... ht-switch/

I ended up finishing Hyper Light Drifter. It was short, took me about 6 hours of play time, but I had played through nearly half before so I was pretty familiar with the layout. Nothing but good things to say about it, its among my favorite 2D games. Plan to go back through it on hard mode / NG+ sometime down the road.

Also beat Super Metroid again. It's one of my favorite games of all time. Did a few sequence breaks like Kraid before high jump boots and power bombs as soon as I entered lower Brinstar, but nothing too crazy. I've beat this game on a crazy number of platforms at this point....PSP, Xbox, SNES, Wii, Switch, PC, Android, DC, PS Classic and others.....

Each run I find something new to appreciate about the game. It's such a well crafted title. So many little things were a head of its time, like the way in game creatures teach you hidden moves and the way the world is built to frequently loop you back to where you need to be after gaining X power-up to minimize the required backtracking. Still head and shoulders above many Metroidvanias made 25 years later.
My gaming all started on the NES, so it holds a special place in my heart.

I was going to buy the FE box set thing, until I found out there's no physical cartridge in it. Bleh, if it's cheap enough I'll just buy the digital copy.

I played a butt ton of Metroid back in the day. Never migrated to the newer ones, because of Dragon Warrior(Dragon Quest). Once I discovered those, it was all over. Games became more than just levels and challenges. They now had a story, front and center. Like a movie, albeit low quality.

When I started playing games again a couple years ago, they brought DQXI out for the Switch and it blew me away. The "like a film" aspect from when I was a kid was fully realized. Classic story, expanded into a jaw dropping experience. Basically, how I dreamed the originals were in my head. Been chasing the dragon(no pun intended) ever since.

My games of choice, pre JRPGs, were Gradius, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Star Tropics and Super Mario Bros.

I actually just bought the little Mario Game & Watch. Why? No idea, I've got it on 15 different systems.
I guess I'm a sucker for games and gadgets.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

A few days ago I started playing The Wittcher: Wild Hunt again :D
:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Just got a Switch for Christmas, so I had to come back to this thread. Right now I've got Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros. I also downloaded the NES and SNES apps from the Nintendo shop.

I've been looking at picking up a couple more games since I also have a ton of Amazon gift cards. I was looking at Outer Worlds, but keep hearing conflicting reports on the graphics. Supposedly it received a huge patch to try and help, but I can't figure out if the reviews I'm seeing are post or pre patch.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I just got a switch, and have a memory card and screen protectors coming in this week (I have a toddler... Lol). Plan on getting the castlevania collection and breath of the wild. Been playing some of the old nes and snes games. Man it takes me back to 1985...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
vivi

Post by vivi »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:13 pm
I just got a switch, and have a memory card and screen protectors coming in this week (I have a toddler... Lol). Plan on getting the castlevania collection and breath of the wild. Been playing some of the old nes and snes games. Man it takes me back to 1985...
BotW is extremely good. Its like the very first Zelda, with how open the world was to exploration.

I've been big into indie games lately. I keep finding excellent games on sale. Not going to list them all, but two stand outs are Lumo and A Robot Named Fight.

Lumo is an isometric adventure / puzzle game. Really fun game play that's relaxing and contrasts nicely with fast paced shooters. It led me to read about this genre and track down some classics, like Solstice and Knight Lore.

A Robot Named Fight is perfect for me. I love roguelikes and Super Metroid is one of my all time favorites, and this game combines the two. It's tougher than Super Metroid, only made it to the third area so far.

Paid $2 for them both.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Sounds good! $2 is a deal for any 1 decent game. A steal for 2!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This just arrived, from the land of the rising sun.

I've been waiting for this game, for over twenty years now... Not exaggerating, at all.

Saw it in a magazine back in, maybe '97 and wanted it SOOO bad. But, it was only released in Japan and only in Japanese. Well, at long last, they re-released it, WITH ENGLISH TRANSLATION!!!
:D :D :D

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

https://diablo2.blizzard.com/en-us/

oh my god. ive wanted portable D2 for 20 years.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

vivi wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:09 am

OMG! D2 is the best game ever made. Hands down.
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:58 am
vivi wrote:

Vicarious Visions is developing it, and they have a great track record. They're the ones that did the recent Tony Hawk remaster, and the ones that did Tony Hawk ports to GBA which was an incredible feat. They've got decades of experience putting out games on underpowered handhelds, so I'm guessing Diablo 2 will run well on Switch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicarious ... _developed

So far every change I've seen looks great. Shared stash tab, bigger stash, gamepad controls, sharper graphics, higher res, native wide screen, more advanced lighting etc. Seems like they're only changing things that needed to be changed but leaving everything else as is.

You guys won't be hearing much from me when this releases :p
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

vivi wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:36 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:58 am
vivi wrote:

Vicarious Visions is developing it, and they have a great track record. They're the ones that did the recent Tony Hawk remaster, and the ones that did Tony Hawk ports to GBA which was an incredible feat. They've got decades of experience putting out games on underpowered handhelds, so I'm guessing Diablo 2 will run well on Switch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicarious ... _developed

So far every change I've seen looks great. Shared stash tab, bigger stash, gamepad controls, sharper graphics, higher res, native wide screen, more advanced lighting etc. Seems like they're only changing things that needed to be changed but leaving everything else as is.

You guys won't be hearing much from me when this releases :p

This all sounds good. I'm not familiar with their other work, but I may check some of it out. I enjoyed Tony Hawk when I was younger. However, D2...man, I played that for years.

ETA: I hope someone remasters StatCraft 64 for the Switch. That's the only other game I've put as much time into.
--Jeremy
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I have bought a used but as good as new Switch as a present for my girlfriend in the summer of 2018. It was the Super Mario Odyssey edition with both Joy Cons in red. Of course Super Mario Odyssey was also included. All in all the Switch came with 5 games, but I'm not 100% sure which games exactly. I'm sure about Mario Odyssey, Zelda BOTW and Mario Cart 8. Then there was a game with rabbits originally from the Rayman-universe and one weird spelling game or something similar.
In the meantime my girlfriend added at least 40 other games to the collection. Yes, she used the Switch a lot and still is using it a lot to this day. Even so much, that she bought the lite version a few weeks ago. She likes the handheld mode more than the TV mode, so the lite is a bit easier to handle. I always played in the TV mode. But that's great about the Switch, you can choose, what fits you better.

I myself have played a lot of >>Zelda BOTW<<. This game is a masterpiece and I highly recommend anyone, who has the possibility to give this game a try. Before playing it I was skeptical, because I knew, that no (ok, one exception) weapon lasts in this game but the concept works. The best thing about this game is, that you can go everywhere. A mountain, just climb it, no problem. Now I want to that swamp, guess what, I can. If you can see it, you can go there. Every place has a lot of little details and feels like made with great love. And there is always the very real possibility, that you can find a Korok Seed near you, which always feels rewarding. And it's useful to maximize your inventory space.
A lot of people complained about the missing big dungeons but I myself have not missed them. A lot of different little dungeons work for me personally. There were a lot of smart physics puzzles with many different principles and therefore solutions. If you still miss the big dungeons, explore the map and don't follow just the main quest line. There really is a lot to find in the world.
In the late game I really enjoyed collecting all armor sets and upgrade them to stage 4. My favorite sets are the climbing set and the barbarian set and finally the stealth set. The last one came in very handy because I played this game without teleportation, so the speed bonus at night was very welcome.

Furthermore, I played a little >>Mario Cart<<, but I guess I'm more the sim and less the arcade guy.

If you have a Switch give >>Lonely Mountains: Downhill<< a try. At least for me a unique game. Can be played very relaxing but also in a real tryhard mode without changing any settings. There are easy to fulfill goals and nearly impossible tasks. But always a great atmosphere.

Be careful when you transport your console. We had to change quite a few thumbsticks because they started to drift ingame even in the neutral position. We found that great pressure on the sticks lead to this behavior or at least accelerated the need to change the sticks. So make extra sure that the Switch is not at the bottom of your backpack or is pressed against something over a long period of time.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Senfkarte wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:36 pm
I have bought a used but as good as new Switch as a present for my girlfriend in the summer of 2018. It was the Super Mario Odyssey edition with both Joy Cons in red. Of course Super Mario Odyssey was also included. All in all the Switch came with 5 games, but I'm not 100% sure which games exactly. I'm sure about Mario Odyssey, Zelda BOTW and Mario Cart 8. Then there was a game with rabbits originally from the Rayman-universe and one weird spelling game or something similar.
In the meantime my girlfriend added at least 40 other games to the collection. Yes, she used the Switch a lot and still is using it a lot to this day. Even so much, that she bought the lite version a few weeks ago. She likes the handheld mode more than the TV mode, so the lite is a bit easier to handle. I always played in the TV mode. But that's great about the Switch, you can choose, what fits you better.

I myself have played a lot of >>Zelda BOTW<<. This game is a masterpiece and I highly recommend anyone, who has the possibility to give this game a try. Before playing it I was skeptical, because I knew, that no (ok, one exception) weapon lasts in this game but the concept works. The best thing about this game is, that you can go everywhere. A mountain, just climb it, no problem. Now I want to that swamp, guess what, I can. If you can see it, you can go there. Every place has a lot of little details and feels like made with great love. And there is always the very real possibility, that you can find a Korok Seed near you, which always feels rewarding. And it's useful to maximize your inventory space.
A lot of people complained about the missing big dungeons but I myself have not missed them. A lot of different little dungeons work for me personally. There were a lot of smart physics puzzles with many different principles and therefore solutions. If you still miss the big dungeons, explore the map and don't follow just the main quest line. There really is a lot to find in the world.
In the late game I really enjoyed collecting all armor sets and upgrade them to stage 4. My favorite sets are the climbing set and the barbarian set and finally the stealth set. The last one came in very handy because I played this game without teleportation, so the speed bonus at night was very welcome.

Furthermore, I played a little >>Mario Cart<<, but I guess I'm more the sim and less the arcade guy.

If you have a Switch give >>Lonely Mountains: Downhill<< a try. At least for me a unique game. Can be played very relaxing but also in a real tryhard mode without changing any settings. There are easy to fulfill goals and nearly impossible tasks. But always a great atmosphere.

Be careful when you transport your console. We had to change quite a few thumbsticks because they started to drift ingame even in the neutral position. We found that great pressure on the sticks lead to this behavior or at least accelerated the need to change the sticks. So make extra sure that the Switch is not at the bottom of your backpack or is pressed against something over a long period of time.
I have BOTW and the guidebook, but I still haven't played more than 30min of it. I think I'm going to start it soon though.
--Jeremy
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I wish I could get my hands on a BOTW guidebook. I feel like I'm way underprepared for the kinds of enemies I'm facing now.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:23 pm
I wish I could get my hands on a BOTW guidebook. I feel like I'm way underprepared for the kinds of enemies I'm facing now.
Which kinds of enemies trouble you the most?