2 brand new Native 5 LW problems

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Notsurewhy

Re: 2 brand new Native 5 LW problems

Post by Notsurewhy »

My teal native lw had a slight rattle out of the box. It ended up just being a loose screw (scale screw closest the lockbar). Added a bit of loctite and it's good. It didn't look like any was applied at the factory.
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

I’ve had a few lightweight natives (2 salts, rex45 and maxamet) with the ricasso bumping the handle scale right out of the box.

I haven’t experienced any loose parts on one yet.

I suppose it can be debated whether these are deal breakers. I decided a while ago to just deal with fit/finish anomalies on frn models on my own. If there is a locking/safety issue, then I send back to the dealer. The native is so well designed/solid that I don’t think I’ll see a lock issue.

Of course my rationale starts to weaken as these frn knives keep increasing in price. I think a baseline spy27 model priced @ $130 is in our near future.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:45 pm
The SPY27 native LW blade hits the FRN handle scale
Mine does as well, but I don't think it's to the extent that you show here. I can hear/feel it rubbing just a tiny bit when I open and close the knife. Seems like it's contacting on just one small section of the FRN on only one of the scales. Functionally, it is not an issue for me and I think it will break in and become smoother with use. If not, I feel like a couple of sandpaper brush strokes against the FRN will knock it down enough to remedy the issue. I was a little annoyed at first, but everything else about the knife is spot on, so for me personally, it's acceptable.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:14 pm
Native 5 LW is one of the easiest models to take apart and put back together. I'd be taking a look inside and figuring out what the issue is. There's not much to those knives. I can't be too hard to figure out why it rattles the way it does.
Wouldn’t that void the warranty and potentially leave him up a creek if there was a defect?
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

My spy27 just arrived from DLT this afternoon. It's basically perfect. I like the stonewashed clip...reminiscent of the Shaman.

Spy 27 finishes really nicely. If it sharpens better than s30v I'd call it a winner in my book.