New'ish addict......

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
poolhustler

New'ish addict......

Post by poolhustler »

Thanks for allowing me here... I am sort of a newbie when it comes to Spyderco's. I carried an Endura for many years when i was younger and have just recently found myself addicted to them. I am slightly OCD and once I latch onto something, its hard to let go. I have also had a couple Military's over the years...

I was addicted to the Kershaw Leek and collected them for a very long time. Next thing i knew i had every one made, all the variations and my collection totaled 704 pcs. I don't plan on doing that with the Endura!! Although i am enjoying learning about their history and different models over the years.

So with the Endura's I don't know where to source / find the older models. i.e. Best places to search, hunt, look for them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think i have around 7 or 8 with a few more in the mail. I have a list of "want's" that i am trying to find currently. When I get a few more i will post some pictures.

Best to all !!!

Russ....
sal

Re: New'ish addict......

Post by sal »

Hi Russ,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the support. We've made quite a few Endura's over the years. It's a worthy goal, but all things in moderation. This forum had a very unique membership, probably family would be a better description. Knowledgeable and civil. I hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome Russ!

I'd keep an eye on eBay. Also the Exchange on Blade Forums is also good. I don't see a lot of older Enduras on there but you never know
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum!

704 Leeks??! :eek: I'd love to see a picture of that!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Welcome! I never knew there would be 700+ variants of the Leek, would have thought about 20-50 tops! Or am I reading it wrong? :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Hello and welcome!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Has to be a typo, I had to look it up because I thought that was a bit fishy...and it is. I didn't find the exact number, but it's said to be over 40 variations of the Leek. Must be 700 knives he has total or something, which definitely doesn't make him a "newish" addict! Probably in deeper than any of us haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:10 am
Has to be a typo, I had to look it up because I thought that was a bit fishy...and it is. I didn't find the exact number, but it's said to be over 40 variations of the Leek. Must be 700 knives he has total or something, which definitely doesn't make him a "newish" addict! Probably in deeper than any of us haha!
I don’t know, there are 44 variations of the Leek currently listed on BHQ alone, and those would be the ones that are fairly recent. With how long the Leek has been around, I could see how you could end up with hundreds of variations. Heck, look at how many variations of the CRKT M16 there are, you could fill an encyclopedia with all of the variations there have been.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Not the first person to wake up in the morning thinking, "I need a leak..."
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Welcome to the community!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

It would be much simpler and cheaper to build a complete Endura collection. There are only about 50 SKUs. I can't say I share your fondness for the Leek, but I admire your dedication, and I'd love to see a pic of your collection.
poolhustler

Post by poolhustler »

Thank you for the replies. I have read through many of the threads here. Much different / better than many other places. Seem much more civil and respectful!!

As far as my Leek collection ... There are approximately 152 different Leek models that have been produced since 2002. There have also been a few variations / changes made. For example, on the standard 1660 Leek, there are 5 or 6 different versions. Date, no date, Ken Onion on the front scale, Speedsafe on the front scale, flag / no flag, etc.. My collection of 704 pcs consisted of the 152 unique model numbers, all the variants and a ton of old NIB spares that i had bought up over the years.

As stated, my goal isn't to collect all the Endura's. Just a handful that i can enjoy. I also want to have a couple that i can customize for EDC use and put into my rotation. I love how a fairly good sized knife like the Endura can disappear in the pocket.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Russ...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Ez556 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:24 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:10 am
I don’t know,there are 44 variations of the Leek currently listed on BHQ alone, and those would be the ones that are fairly recent. With how long the Leek has been around, I could see how you could end up with hundreds of variations. Heck, look at how many variations of the CRKT M16 there are, you could fill an encyclopedia with all of the variations there have been.
Including one plated in 24K gold! :eek: I agree, if this snapshot is any indication, there could easily be hundreds and hundreds of variants. Seems like the Leek is to Kershaw what the Delica is to Spyderco. And the Delica has 4 different generations, each with a ton of color/blade/steel/handle material variations. Easily hundreds.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I guess my search of "how many variations of the Kershaw Leek are there?" must have only listed what is currently available to purchase, and not the entire lineup.

a 24K gold Leek!?!? That's awesomely overdone haha!

-Rick
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:31 am
Seems like the Leek is to Kershaw what the Delica is to Spyderco. And the Delica has 4 different generations, each with a ton of color/blade/steel/handle material variations. Easily hundreds.
There are approximately 100 Delica SKUs, all generations included.
poolhustler

Post by poolhustler »

I am not good at posting pictures, but I'll give it a try!

Some of my Enduras to date.......

My Leek collection......
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Accutron wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:43 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:31 am
Seems like the Leek is to Kershaw what the Delica is to Spyderco. And the Delica has 4 different generations, each with a ton of color/blade/steel/handle material variations. Easily hundreds.
There are approximately 100 Delica SKUs, all generations included.
Wow, not nearly what I expected. I stand corrected!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

That's an incredible collection. Your bank account is not going to be happy with your rediscovery of Spyderco.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

WOW...that's all I've got....WOW!!

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

And I thought I had a ton of knives! I barely have even a fraction of that, TOTAL. Good job! BTW, your pics are good. I’ve never even posted ONE! :o

Oh, and welcome to the forum, poolhustler.

Jim