Boye dent poll. Let your voice be heard or be a sheep in a herd.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Boye dent. Is it worth keeping and why/why not?

Yes! Keep the Boye Dent
79%
Not in my back lock! Ditch the dent
21%

Total votes: 92

araneae

Re: Boye dent poll. Let your voice be heard or be a sheep in a herd.

Post by araneae »

I already did a poll maybe a month ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87770&p=1458414#p1458414

Showed pretty clearly that most people prefer having one, or didn't feel strongly about it. The minority didn't care for it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I don't know what the benefit is of NOT having the Boye dent. At this point I've pretty much realized that I'm a back lock guy and in that back lock I want the dent!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Gsg9 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:11 am
Didn't like the "look" for some versus missing some extra tactile feedback for others, tough puzzlement indeed.
Again, I'm not for or against it and I don't mind how it looks on knives with the dent. On knives without it I do think they look better. For me tactile feedback is irrelevant. I just run my thumb down the back of the knife and I can easily feel where the cutout is. No need for a dent in the lock bar to tell me where to push.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It depends on the design. If it can have one then Im okay with it. But I wouldnt want a good design changed in order to accommodate it.

The native 5 is an example of this. Open a native 5 halfway and look at how far the lockbar is depressed. You cant really put a true boye dent on that lockbar.

Then again I dont think it needs one, and it is hands down my favorite backlock/ lock by a good margin.

I would hate to not have that lock because the initial design was changed just so it could have a boye dent.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:47 pm

The Boye dent was added to some models because the lock well was large and we were concerned that the knife could be accidentally unlocked by pressure from the fleshy part of the hand. We added the dent, with David's permission, gave him credit for it, and we still have it on many models. In some recent designs, I reduced the size of the lock well which made it very difficult to accidentally unlock. This eliminated the need for the dent,which many complained about because they didn't like the "look" of the dent.

Now that the dent is no longer needed, I am being told that I should bring it back on the few models that we designed without it. It is sometimes a puzzlement? :confused:

sal

Thanks for the mini-history, Sal! I guess I don’t have a strong preference except for you & the crew to use your design chops to determine when it is - or isn’t - needed.

- Ward
carrot

Post by carrot »

I like the Boye dent, prefer it even, but it has never once been a dealbreaker and some of my favorite knives lack them.

For instance, the Chaparral, Police 4, and Rockjumper all lack the Boye dent and I don’t mind. I would certainly prefer it, just because the feel of it is so natural to me, but lacking it will not make me skip out on a pattern I’m interested in.
RussC

Post by RussC »

I agree with the last post. Would love to see the dent on the Chaparral FRN.
brj

Post by brj »

I don't feel it's needed so voted to ditch it. However, I'd still buy models with the dent if they otherwise appeal to me.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:44 pm
You need to add an option for "No Preference". I have both and have no preference, in safety or ergonomics.

Same here. That's why I didn't vote. I don't like it ... and I don't dislike it. For me is totally irrelevant when making my purchase decision.

In fact, just reading the answers, that missing "No preference" alternative would have been the winner ;).
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
araneae

Post by araneae »

Menipo wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:54 am
TenGrainBread wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:44 pm
You need to add an option for "No Preference". I have both and have no preference, in safety or ergonomics.

Same here. That's why I didn't vote. I don't like it ... and I don't dislike it. For me is totally irrelevant when making my purchase decision.

In fact, just reading the answers, that missing "No preference" alternative would have been the winner ;).
Which is why my poll had a no preference option.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I voted to keep it, but I’m more indifferent than for it. I’m not against them by any means, but if I knife is designed without it it has no bearing on whether or not I’m interested in it. It is nice to have, mostly for indexing for me, but I’m not losing sleep if it’s not there.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.