Spyderco Kapara scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bshamus

Spyderco Kapara scales

Post by Bshamus »

Hey guys I recently bought a new Spyderco Kapara after a long wait for them to restock. The knife is gorgeous but the cf scales seem alot slimmer then they do in the photos. I noticed in video reviews and pictures the handle appeared alot more thick rounded and contoured, in person it looks alot more flat and subtle. Is it a possible fake or maybe just the lighting or something? I also thought since they were gone for so long maybe this is a cqi thing on the new models?
sal

Re: Spyderco Kapara scales

Post by sal »

Hi Bshamus,

Welcome to our forum.

No changes were made to the model.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I haven't heard of any counterfeit Kaparas. Where did you buy it? If it's from a reputable dealer it's likely the real thing. The contouring is subtle but it's there. If I look at mine from the end it's definitely not flat.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bshamus

Post by Bshamus »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:29 pm
I haven't heard of any counterfeit Kaparas. Where did you buy it? If it's from a reputable dealer it's likely the real thing. The contouring is subtle but it's there. If I look at mine from the end it's definitely not flat.
Bought it from bladehq so it's probably fine. I think it's just the way the photos look, I just wanted to be sure.
I guess it's the way the lighting hits it. It is such a sweet knife, i just can be ocd about these things lol.
Bshamus

Post by Bshamus »

sal wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:02 pm
Hi Bshamus,

Welcome to our forum.

No changes were made to the model.

sal
A message from the legend himself! TY for the info i do appreciate it.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

If I had unlimited funds I'd buy a kapara in a heart beat. Just looks so darn good...
/ David
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I thought the same thing about the Shaman when I held one. Super comfortable in hand but the handle just looks so much wider in photos.

This is why I am a huge advocate of handling a knife before you buy it. Unfortunately that’s just not possible for me in most cases. Thankfully Spyderco has the ergonomics thing down.

Of the 18 Spyderco knives I own the only one I held in my hand before purchasing was the Sage 5. The instant I held it, I really wanted to buy one.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
abiggs

Post by abiggs »

The Kapara instantly became my work carry knife (office environment). It’s thin, light, and with the smooth carbon fiber and wire clip it doesn’t tear up the pockets on my nicer pants. Win!!
Bshamus

Post by Bshamus »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:08 pm
I thought the same thing about the Shaman when I held one. Super comfortable in hand but the handle just looks so much wider in photos.

This is why I am a huge advocate of handling a knife before you buy it. Unfortunately that’s just not possible for me in most cases. Thankfully Spyderco has the ergonomics thing down.

Of the 18 Spyderco knives I own the only one I held in my hand before purchasing was the Sage 5. The instant I held it, I really wanted to buy one.
I agree but it's also hard for me as well in most cases. The ergos on the kapara are fantastic. :)