Manix 2 Copper Ball Cage

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razehound

Manix 2 Copper Ball Cage

Post by razehound »

Does anybody have a picture of a manix 2 with the flytanium copper ball cage? I'm considering it, but I've never actually seen a knife with one and I would certainly like to.
Additionally, If anyone has a copper cage and can confirm for me whether or not the copper of the cage matches the copper of the washers, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks
Last edited by razehound on Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
sal

Re: Manix 2 Copper Ball Cage

Post by sal »

Hi Razehound,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
razehound

Post by razehound »

Hey sal!

I've just recently begun my journey as a knife enthusiast, I currently own 2 Spyderco's. The Spyderco community is so great too, that's a part of why I love them. Thanks for saying hi!

razehound
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Copper ball cage topic??
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sal, did you mean to say you were thinking of a copper ball for the CBBL on the Manix 2?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

The OP's message vanished after Sal greeted him.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Accutron wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:05 pm
The OP's message vanished after Sal greeted him.
I believe that happens when a new user edits one of their posts while they still require post verification from a Moderator. It should reappear when it's "approved" by a moderator.

If I recall correctly, the OP was asking for a picture of a Manix 2 with a Flytanium Copper Ball Cage.
-Nick :bug-red
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Sal welcomed the OP before the initial post was approved. That made it temporarily appear that Sal's post was the first in the thread.

To be clear, the OP is considering a copper ball cage, not Sal.

To the OP, this video might help: https://youtu.be/XdYR2IJVTBM&app=desktop.

Stay safe,

Mike
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Corrosion is a problem with copper, plus it smells. However, I like the color. I know a few people that like copper scales and etc. and that is fine by me. I am not a big fan, though. Now, if Ti could be anodized that color, that would be cool.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:29 am
Corrosion is a problem with copper, plus it smells. However, I like the color. I know a few people that like copper scales and etc. and that is fine by me. I am not a big fan, though. Now, if Ti could be anodized that color, that would be cool.
I would venture to say that the "corrosion" (patina) of copper is the primary appeal. In my experience, I almost never notice an odor. Even on copper tools that I've used daily for years now. I would not expect something as small as the Manix 2 ball cage to have any noticeable odor after use.
-Nick :bug-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have always found this business of "copper smells" interesting, since copper being a metal, it could not be vaporizing to any real extent and affecting our noses. I suspected something like the following, which makes good sense:

https://www.nature.com/news/2006/061023 ... 023-7.html

In any case there is certainly a smell, but it is not the copper you are smelling, but compounds from your own body that are generated by contact with copper. They don't call it catalysis, but is sort of sounds like that to me, it isn't clear (to me) if the compounds themselves actually contain any copper.

It is hard to imagine this would be significant from something as small as the Manix ball cage.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Looking at BFK's photo, it has me thinking that a copper ball cage would be interesting in my burnt orange Manix, though black and orange do make an appealing combination to my taste.
bearfacedkiller

The cage is pure copper the washers are phosphor bronze. They do not match. It will patina and turn brown though. Mine darkened pretty quickly as any raw copper would when it touches skin.

The cage is nice and I assume metal is stronger than plastic but I haven’t broke a plastic cage yet.

I realize that that machining is intricate but it is an awfully expensive trinket from China that adds little more than some bling.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:30 am
Looking at BFK's photo, it has me thinking that a copper ball cage would be interesting in my burnt orange Manix, though black and orange do make an appealing combination to my taste.
Flytanium copper backspacer on a burnt orange hap40 Delica.

-Darby
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

An expensive trinket, well that is doubtlessly the honest truth and I'll probably put my dollars elsewhere.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:12 pm
An expensive trinket, well that is doubtlessly the honest truth and I'll probably put my dollars elsewhere.
Agreed. I had a titanium cage from flytanium, it was extremely poor quality. I would not purchase a cage again.