California EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vcpeppers

California EDC

Post by vcpeppers »

Might have been asked before - I saw a couple of threads, but nothing about "Kellyforenuh" ( - Arnold) and the carry laws. I'm currently carrying a Delica, but when my Para Military gets here (should be today!!) I will want to carry that sometimes too.

Does anyone know what the carry laws are over here?
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I dont but does it really matter.
If you dont get cought then there will be no problem.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

vcpeppers,
Bernard Levine's site is a good reference for knife laws, he does state that not all are updated regularly so it's still a good idea to do some research on your own.

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

in the People's republic of Kalifornia blade length of any folder is no problem. Kalifornia is much harder on fixed blades.
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Well I Live In California And It Is Not The State Laws As Local Ordinances You Should Know. Some Cities Are Fairly Stringent And Others Are Not, I Am No Expert But In My Area Bigger Than 3.5 Is Iffy, But Its Really Up To The Leo. My California Edc Rotation Right Now, Is A Lil Temp, Native, Para Mil, And Caly Jr. All Should Be Legal. I Would Worry If I Was Edc A Civilian Or A Manix, But Some Times I Still Do!!!!

Where My Family Lives In Shasta County California, You Could Carry A 10 Inch Bowie And No One Would Even Notice! City Vs Rural! #9
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

You could also contact the American Knife and Too Institute?
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
vcpeppers

Post by vcpeppers »

I'm thinking of just calling the Sheriff's office and finding out what's up. I read that site - and you're right, it basically says anything goes as long as you can fold and lock it.

Being in SoCal, however, there might be some wierd local law. It does state that if you're just passing through a city that you should be okay.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Bear in mind that the University of California system has pretty strict blade length laws (don't know about Cal State system), so while your municipality may allow something, if you set foot on the local UC campus you're subject to a whole different bundle of laws ... and those campus cops are real cops.
AllenETreat

Post by AllenETreat »

Hey vcpeppers -

I use the cops "four fingered rule" ( they hold the blade up
to their open hand, and if it exceeds four out stretched fingers
you're doomed :( ) whenever carrying and wherever. It seem's
to be a uniform "law" with the boys in blue.

The Cricket doesn't offend them at all.

AET :D
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

Sorry, dp.
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

vcpeppers wrote:I'm thinking of just calling the Sheriff's office and finding out what's up. I read that site - and you're right, it basically says anything goes as long as you can fold and lock it.

Being in SoCal, however, there might be some wierd local law. It does state that if you're just passing through a city that you should be okay.
Right and right. And as donuts pointed out, there's the obvious restrictions for universities, courthouses, etc.

There are definitely a few SoCal localities with 3" rules ... you'll want to try to map that out, because if one day you wander into (say) Burbank unexpectedly, you might be illegal. When it looked like I was going to spend more time down there, I was going to pick up a Temperance Jr.

Regarding calling the sheriff's office, I think that's a fine idea. However, I've found that the local LEOs don't always have the same views as what's written in the statutes, and the caselaw derived from the statutes is sometimes surprising. The caselaw is the hardest to figure out, so at a minimum, I'd ask the sheriff's office, and also take a look at the written statute. The SO should be able to cite the statute number for you.
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

donutsrule wrote:Bear in mind that the University of California system has pretty strict blade length laws (don't know about Cal State system), so while your municipality may allow something, if you set foot on the local UC campus you're subject to a whole different bundle of laws ... and those campus cops are real cops.
I'm an Officer for a College PD and I'm also a knifenut, so I'll give you the benefit of my knowledge. All Colleges (Community Colleges as well as the Cal State and U.C. systems) fall under the same P.C. section, 626.10(b), and that restricts you from carrying/possessing on campus a knife with a "fixed blade" length longer than 2.5 inches. While the specified length of a "folding knife" blade is not mentioned, I know a Sgt. at a Cal State campus near me who says his PD considers folding knives whose blades lock into place to be "fixed blades". I don't agree with him, but the D.A. just might, so make sure to ask your schools' PD prior to carrying even a folding knife with a blade length over 2.5 inches (Dodos, Salsas, Crickets, Dragonflys, Kopas, Jesters, and Ladybugs seem to fit the bill for California College EDCs).

Also, make sure you know your local ordinances, cause we enforce those as well. You might be within PC provisions carrying a 2.5 inch folder, but if your College is located within a City whose ordinance prohibits the carry of a knife with a blade over 2 inches, you could be running a risk.

It is very important to know all the laws pertaining to the carry of knives, if your going to carry. Just because PC 626.10(b) says you can carry/possess a "fixed blade" knife of 2.5 inches or less on campus, that doesn't mean you can carry it concealed. You can't! That would be a violation of PC 12020(a)(4), carrying a concealed "dirk or dagger" (which is not a "double-edged" knife, like most people think, but rather- "A "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death.").

The thing is, knife laws are tricky! If you are going to carry a knife, you need to take the time to read and learn all of the pertinent statutes (State Code Sections, City and County ordinances, School policies and regulations, the directives/policies from your place of employment, and like Joe stated, CaseLaw). After you do that, talk to a couple of your local Police Officers, District Attorneys, and Judges, just to get a feel for how they interpret the relevant statutes.

Just remember, not all Cops are knifenuts! You might be surprised to find out how little some Officers know about laws regarding knives. I know I was! I'm the only knifenut in my small Department. However, I've managed to convert a few :D ! Giving them Spydies as gifts seems to work well ;) .

The Bottom line is, as responsible knife-owners/users, we owe it to ourselves and our knife-community to be educated and responsible. How we act and what we do can determine what future Knife laws and restrictions are put into place. I'm sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps. :)

Best regards,
Sundown
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!
underaged!

Post by underaged! »

For anyone looking for this kind of stuff, Packing.org is the place to go. They give a comprehensive summary, quotes the parts you're looking for, and gives links to your city/state websites where they got the infomation.
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Thank You Sundown, That Was Some Very Good Info, I Ride My Road Bike On A Uc Campus, On My Way Out Of Town, I Am Really Just Crossing The Campus, But I Have Always Carried A Knife That Is Certainly Illegal On Campus, I Will Switch To My Dodo From Now On. This Has Been A Really Good Thread. I Have A Friend Who Was Pulled Over With A Para Mil And The Officer Thought The Knife Was A Gravity Knife, Only When His Supervisor Show Up Was He Given His Knife Back And Allowed To Leave So I Know What You Mean About Some Officers Not Really Being Knife Nuts!! Thanks For The Info One More Time, Sundown. #9
argyll

Post by argyll »

Sundown wrote: I know a Sgt. at a Cal State campus near me who says his PD considers folding knives whose blades lock into place to be "fixed blades". I don't agree with him, but the D.A. just might, so make sure to ask your schools' PD prior to carrying even a folding knife with a blade length over 2.5 inches
Just read P.C. 626.10 (b) and I have to agree with you that the law quite clearly makes a distinction between folders and fixed blades. (Note that in subdivision (a) dealing with schools teaching grades K-12, folding knives with "a blade that locks in place" are separately addressed and specifically prohibited.) That said, its always good to know how bull-headed individuals may misapply the law.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

WORKER#9,
No problem, buddy! Anytime I can be of help, just let me know. BTW, I had read your post about your buddy, the Para, and the Officer. I must say, I was very disappointed, yet not all that surprised to hear what your friend went through. This happens frequently, therefore it's even more important that people who carry knives be aware of the laws regarding knife carry, so they can explain them to the many unknowledgeable Police Officers out there. Being able to quote the law to a Police Officer, in a very respectful manner, can make a big difference what kind of experience you have. :)

Best regards,
Sundown
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

argyll wrote:Just read P.C. 626.10 (b) and I have to agree with you that the law quite clearly makes a distinction between folders and fixed blades. (Note that in subdivision (a) dealing with schools teaching grades K-12, folding knives with "a blade that locks in place" are separately addressed and specifically prohibited.) That said, its always good to know how bull-headed individuals may misapply the law.

Best regards,

Argyll
Now you understand why I was shocked to hear that Sgt. tell me that! I made it very clear to him that I didn't see it at all the way he did.

Best regards,
Sundown
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Sundown wrote:I'm an Officer for a College PD and I'm also a knifenut, so I'll give you the benefit of my knowledge. All Colleges (Community Colleges as well as the Cal State and U.C. systems) fall under the same P.C. section, 626.10(b), and that restricts you from carrying/possessing on campus a knife with a "fixed blade" length longer than 2.5 inches.

Thanks Sundown! :)
Sundown

No problem, Donutsrule!

Post by Sundown »

:spyder:

Cheers,
Sundown
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

You Know I Thought About It, I Used To Carry This Old Crappy Benchmade On My Bike Ride, It Has A 3.5 Inch Blade But It Is Impossible To Get Really Sharp, Truly A Junk Knife. I Carry It In Case It Were To Fall Out Of My Jersey While Riding I Just Would Not Care. The Point I Am Getting At Is The Dodo Is 100x Better Weapon! The Dodo Is Sharper, Stronger, And A Far Superior Knife In Every Way. So The Law In One Sense Is To Make The Campus A Safer Place, But It Just Shows How Laws Dont Always Work Out The Way People Who Write Them Plan. Because If I Were On The Other Side Of The Benchmade Or The Dodo, I Would Be Far More Concerned About The Dodo! #9