Power Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: Power Lock

Post by p_atrick »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:11 am
Is there anyone who ever broke a Spyderco backlock? Functionally, the PowerLock appears no different. What is the advantage? Could the PowerLock be an expensive solution to a non-existent problem?
You can have a stop pin along with the backlock. I know that configuration has tested well. Surely the Triad lock is encumbered with patents, so the PowerLock is a way of approximating its behavior. I started this thread because I was hoping to see some shots of the lock itself and maybe a video of how the locks functions when engaging and disengaging. The thread took an unexpected turn when Sal asked which model would be a good candidate for the lock. I am mostly just curious about the mechanics of the lock and not necessarily advocating its return.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:11 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:03 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Get enough sand and grit in that gap and it could prevent the lock from locking by jamming the toggle.
The gap is closed when the knife is open and locked, so a simple wipe with your thumb before working the lock would be enough to prevent problems.

Yes, that gap between the toggle and the lock bar concerns me. That well could be blown out, but this joint at the toggle/lockbar seems to me to be a potential problem. I am not saying that it is, but it looks like getting gunk in there could pose a problem with lockup.
Yep. And using lugnuts to hold the wheels on your car instead of welding them on could lead to wheel loss on the road. The gap is closed when the knife is closed or open. If wiping your thumb down the spine of the handle to the lock release is too much effort for you, by all means avoid this lock.
I am sorry you are offended. I have an honest question regarding this lock. I have no experience with it and I have yet to see a test on it, except the one done by Cold Steel, of course.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd be curious to see this on some of the more defense-oriented knives. I know many of them already have the sturdy compression lock, but stuff like the civilian/matriarch line still relies on a conventional lockback. I could see the added strength of the power lock doing a lot to assure peace of mind - the matriarch is not a knife you want closing on you.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

The ricasso will protect your hand if the lock fails been there done that.

What are lockbacks not strong enough for?

The debris in my area consists of course sand and clay based dirt it f**** up compression locks liner locks and ball locks. Mostly it locks the knife open so it is unclosable. Lockbacks are the easiest to clean out and easiest to close in this environment

Axis locks are terrible in debris also. Never use one for food prep either while you're camping as botulism is only a day away..... Very difficult to clean the debris from food out of the mechanism without disassembling.

If perceived lock strength is more important than steel and ergonomics and quality then go get a cold steel

A $35 Phil Wilson copy made by Spyderco is stronger than any folder out there and safer.

Tools for the job.....
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:59 am
I'd be curious to see this on some of the more defense-oriented knives. I know many of them already have the sturdy compression lock, but stuff like the civilian/matriarch line still relies on a conventional lockback. I could see the added strength of the power lock doing a lot to assure peace of mind - the matriarch is not a knife you want closing on you.
The way the reverse-S blades are meant to be used (slashing cuts) doesn’t place a heavy burden upon the lock. These are not for thrusting cuts. The simple mid lock seems totally adequate on these models.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd still like a Manix XLPL.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

sal wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:35 pm
What do you consider the ideal model?

sal
A shaman variant
Just one more knife...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Netherend wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:15 pm
sal wrote:

sal
A shaman variant

I'd buy that so hard. If this lock really is that strong it's the perfect current model for it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

If a backlock can’t fit into a Shaman, I tend to think a power lock couldn’t either. At least not without some significant redesign.
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:10 pm
Netherend wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:15 pm
sal wrote:

sal
A shaman variant

I'd buy that so hard. If this lock really is that strong it's the perfect current model for it.
In the same way a mid-lock found its way into a Manix2, I’d be all for a power-lock, or even a mid-lock, in a Shaman, just to own the difference and to have the ambidexterity. But the standard lock is likely the stronger, and is no challenge to my left-hanbedness.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

re: sal's question: a strong lockback designed for hard use is immediately attractive for an outdoor folder that could take the place of a fixed blade with less bulk, potentially less weight, and significantly easier portability/carryability. therefore the ideal knife for this lock as I picture it would be designed around, or in concert with, the lock's properties itself, towards outdoor (wood, rope, tough/abrasive natural materials, food) uses.

what about something like a folding version of the bushcraft? I know the wolfspdyer will be re-released eventually, but that's got its niche. maybe a larger version with a somewhat different orientation or design? i'm from central/northern nys, and there is no end of use a good outdoor knife would enjoy here. lakes, woods, farms, yards, camping, you name it. the gb2 is at this point my go to bigger folder that i'd bring for this purpose, above the pm2, stretch, n5 and family, any of them. something like a gb2 or bushcraft in any strong, tough, long-lasting steel would be extremely attractive to me.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

+1 for the manix. Tip down carry would be nice.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

bleasure wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:00 pm
re: sal's question: a strong lockback designed for hard use is immediately attractive for an outdoor folder that could take the place of a fixed blade with less bulk, potentially less weight, and significantly easier portability/carryability. therefore the ideal knife for this lock as I picture it would be designed around, or in concert with, the lock's properties itself, towards outdoor (wood, rope, tough/abrasive natural materials, food) uses.

what about something like a folding version of the bushcraft? I know the wolfspdyer will be re-released eventually, but that's got its niche. maybe a larger version with a somewhat different orientation or design? i'm from central/northern nys, and there is no end of use a good outdoor knife would enjoy here. lakes, woods, farms, yards, camping, you name it. the gb2 is at this point my go to bigger folder that i'd bring for this purpose, above the pm2, stretch, n5 and family, any of them. something like a gb2 or bushcraft in any strong, tough, long-lasting steel would be extremely attractive to me.
We need a Sprint Tatanka in K390!
cjk

Post by cjk »

reading through this thread, it seems apparent to me that any power lock probably needs to be made in Seki, so folks wanting the power lock in US models might be a no go?

Something like a PowerStretch or PowerEndura might be more actionable.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

cjk wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:59 am
reading through this thread, it seems apparent to me that any power lock probably needs to be made in Seki, so folks wanting the power lock in US models might be a no go?

I would buy a drop point PowerStretch! Gray G10 and Cruwear anyone?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cjk wrote:

I sure hope that's not the case. I think Golden makes the best mid back lock on the market, I feel like they could produce this lock and it would be legendary.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cjk

Post by cjk »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 am
cjk wrote:

I sure hope that's not the case. I think Golden makes the best mid back lock on the market, I feel like they could produce this lock and it would be legendary.
I have read that it was invented by one of the brothers who run G Sakai, so the intellectual property is probably theirs?
I could be flat out wrong about the IP part of that.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threa ... 10.403716/
This new lock, the PowerLock, was actually invented by one of five brothers who work at the facility making Spyderco knives in Japan. The design was shown to Sal 5 or 6 years ago, but Spyderco, who already held a patent for a similar lock (the StopLock), were too busy at the time simply keeping up with demand so could not act on it at the time. With the PowerLock being designed in Japan it was decided to have the Tatanka manufactured in the same facility by the designers of the lock.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

vandelay wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:31 pm
+1 for the manix. Tip down carry would be nice.
Also +1 on the Manix aslong as they do not chicken out again ( like last time ) and KEEP the darn Liners instead of removing them!!! And while they are at it return to the old blade stock and blade shape ! The new blade stock on the current Manix 2’s and XL’s is not good enough for this purpose build and the old blade shape looks allot better to !
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:42 pm
bleasure wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:00 pm

We need a Sprint Tatanka in K390!
I could live with any sprint Tatanka run , or a Manix XL with the power lock . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vito72

Post by vito72 »

I guess the Spyderco back lock it's a lock type very secure and well made and enough for almost all users.

About all the models I read I guess Military for obvious reason is an open back construction folder, and one closed or semi-closed with a power lock or back lock model would lose the sense of the project, and would be better call it different, and not military. The military in my opinion is one of the best knives I ever seen around and of course is the best one I own, as I told is not interesting with the back lock, and the Military 2 with the CL will be not the same.

Power lock it's for heavy duties so the sense would be making a Tatanka 2 (I would pass as the original, because I don't work with knives)

If i would suggest two new-old models where power lock would be nice they are Chinook 4, and a second model for relatively heavy tasks, but pocket and social friendly, equipped with RINO lil' temperance 2 blade and handle based on a model as lil' native.