Power Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BobABQ

Re: Power Lock

Post by BobABQ »

That would be cool to see on the Lil’ Native. Overkill as far as lock strength on such a small folder but it still would be pretty cool.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

On the subhect of dirt and crud, it can certainly get in there, but the way the lock operates it is unlikely to cause a problem. Unlike a regular backlock, there are no sharp corners for the crud to get trapped in. Instead of trapping stuff and packing it into the locking notch, the toggle sweeps debris away.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:24 pm
On the subhect of dirt and crud, it can certainly get in there, but the way the lock operates it is unlikely to cause a problem. Unlike a regular backlock, there are no sharp corners for the crud to get trapped in. Instead of trapping stuff and packing it into the locking notch, the toggle sweeps debris away.
I’d like to see that actually tested.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:15 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
What sort of test do you need to see to convince you?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:49 am
Doc Dan wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
HALO drop on a hostile alien world, with all objectives secured KTF, Leej!

Sorry, reading too much SciFi these days.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

yablanowitz wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
Bury it in mud and cow dung, open and close a few times, take it out and see if it still works. Then bury it in sand. work the action, then shake it out and see if it still works. Bury it in peat moss and clay, work the action, then take it out and see if it works. That sort of thing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:45 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
Bury it in mud and cow dung, open and close a few times, take it out and see if it still works. Then bury it in sand. work the action, then shake it out and see if it still works. Bury it in peat moss and clay, work the action, then take it out and see if it works. That sort of thing.
Well, of that's how you treat your tools, I suggest you stick with fixed blades, and the cheaper the better.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It came from being in the Army and from working on a cattle ranch. Knives that work get a lot of junk in them from time to time. Liner locks can be self-cleaning, almost, but are not as strong. Back locks can get gunk in them but it is easy to blow out if needed. These are very strong. Even the Axis lock, which is pretty good in such environments can get gunked up and not work without rinsing out. So, how does the Powerlock stand up to the task?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:01 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56 pm
sal wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:35 pm
What do you consider the ideal model?

sal

Shaman. Or that no choil Shaman you hinted at.
Power Shaman. **** yeah.
I don't know why. But, my brain translates that to "the Totem"...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:20 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:01 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56 pm
sal wrote:

sal

Shaman. Or that no choil Shaman you hinted at.
Power Shaman. **** yeah.
I don't know why. But, my brain translates that to "the Totem"...
I'm with you. I get that radical changes to models are basically new knives.

So let's make a 4 inch Native with a power-lock! The Totem!
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I would love to see something in the XL category like the Tatanka. Maybe a Shempp Rock folder with it.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:33 pm
It came from being in the Army and from working on a cattle ranch. Knives that work get a lot of junk in them from time to time. Liner locks can be self-cleaning, almost, but are not as strong. Back locks can get gunk in them but it is easy to blow out if needed. These are very strong. Even the Axis lock, which is pretty good in such environments can get gunked up and not work without rinsing out. So, how does the Powerlock stand up to the task?
The reason I was asking is I have a factory second Tatanka that I wouldn't mind getting dirty, but I'm not going to do a full Army service weapon selection trial for your amusement. Our sand around here is fine enough to get into any mechanism with moving parts, and what you want to see could destroy any folder I have ever seen. I will take some pictures of what I see as the vulnerable areas and what I can see that would need a little bit of care in the field.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The biggest vulnerability I see is this well.

It is exposed when the knife is open and in use. Pack enough crap in there and the blade won't close all the way. It is rounded, so it is easy enough to clean out with a small stick or a stem of straw.

The second spot is here, where the toggle and release lever interlock.

Get enough sand and grit in that gap and it could prevent the lock from locking by jamming the toggle.
The gap is closed when the knife is open and locked, so a simple wipe with your thumb before working the lock would be enough to prevent problems.

The gap everyone seems concerned about is no threat. Here you can see a spot where the toggle engages the tang.

The toggle doesn't drop into a notch, it sweeps onto the tang and would push debris out of the way. Releasing the lock moves the toggle off the end of the tang, away from any and everything in the gap, so no matter what is in there, it won't prevent the lock from operating. That whole area is a smooth curve which would shed debris easily.

BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

sal wrote:

sal
Manix 2 XL

Someone suggested doing one in the new CPM-SPY27 steel with blue G10 & I think that’s a wonderful idea!
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Don't underestimate the Chinook 4. Master James Keating knows exactly what needs to be in a knife. I bought one and it absolutely is one of my favorite designs. Not so at first looks but I trust James. He knows his stuff. I have a Tatanka as well and it's good as well, but a Lot of knife.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I would love to see the Power Lock used on a Manix XL.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Get enough sand and grit in that gap and it could prevent the lock from locking by jamming the toggle.
The gap is closed when the knife is open and locked, so a simple wipe with your thumb before working the lock would be enough to prevent problems.

Yes, that gap between the toggle and the lock bar concerns me. That well could be blown out, but this joint at the toggle/lockbar seems to me to be a potential problem. I am not saying that it is, but it looks like getting gunk in there could pose a problem with lockup.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Menipo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:41 pm
Sorry for the naive question but I am not familiar with this type of lock. I understand that this is a variation of the lockback. Is that right? Which advantantages offers (compared to a lockback)?
Is there anyone who ever broke a Spyderco backlock? Functionally, the PowerLock appears no different. What is the advantage? Could the PowerLock be an expensive solution to a non-existent problem?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I haven't broken any backlocks, but I've certainly packed enough crap into various places to stop them from working. The best is when you get enough gunk stuck to the bottom of the lock bar to keep the end from engaging the notch in the tang. That can be tough to clean out. The Powerlock eliminates several problem areas of the backlock. Functionally, it is totally different, the similarity is superficial.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:03 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Yes, that gap between the toggle and the lock bar concerns me. That well could be blown out, but this joint at the toggle/lockbar seems to me to be a potential problem. I am not saying that it is, but it looks like getting gunk in there could pose a problem with lockup.
Yep. And using lugnuts to hold the wheels on your car instead of welding them on could lead to wheel loss on the road. The gap is closed when the knife is closed or open. If wiping your thumb down the spine of the handle to the lock release is too much effort for you, by all means avoid this lock.