BaliYo - Titanium edition?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

BaliYo - Titanium edition?

Post by archangel »

Received my first BaliYo today. Started low-end with the lightweight version. Good enough to learn that it's a ingenious tool (toy :) ), but other than that, from haptics point of view... Nah... :eek:

So I ordered a heavy duty version straight away. :p

Was/is there a Titanium version? If not, could we have one please?? Would others buy one?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Re: BaliYo - Titanium edition?

Post by sal »

Eric has talked about a Ti version.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks for chiming in, Sir. Hope the talks have a good end for us. :)
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I'd buy a titanium version. I've been carrying my Baliyo everyday since Christmas 2008 and have probably gifted a dozen or more over that time. It's a great product.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would definitely buy a Ti version, as long as the price isn’t astronomical. Do you want just the wings in Ti or the whole thing Ti? It might look nice if it had the brass or copper weights and pen shaft for contrast. The patina with the Ti would look epic!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
archangel

Post by archangel »

Well, the more Ti the better. Price can't be "astronomical" - but then again the regular heavy duty versions are already $50... :eek: HOWEVER an all Titanium :spyder: pen would be a must-have for me....

I agree, let's keep the weights/rings in contrasting color, brass or copper.
Michael
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I wouldn't scoff at a Ti Baliyo.

What are we talking, $100?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

As long as it’s a fully premium baliyo, absolutely. When I had mine (I’ve had two and managed to break both lol) I had problems with the pen opening mid flip and one of the arms fully came off on the first one.

Like, let’s do it. But with an updated build. Parker refills (or something else standard), reinforced pivots with pb washers, better clip, etc.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:40 pm
As long as it’s a fully premium baliyo, absolutely. When I had mine (I’ve had two and managed to break both lol) I had problems with the pen opening mid flip and one of the arms fully came off on the first one.

Like, let’s do it. But with an updated build. Parker refills (or something else standard), reinforced pivots with pb washers, better clip, etc.
The HD version uses a Fisher Spacepen and is quite a bit stouter than the standard one.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:00 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:

The HD version uses a Fisher Spacepen and is quite a bit stouter than the standard one.
Both of mine were the newer “wing” ones. I thought they were a touch short and thick as is, can’t imagine the heavy duty ones would hit what I want. Especially since they’ve got the same pivot build with a heavier “blade”...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:

If you haven’t tried a Fisher Space Pen in any form it is a must! I recommend the medium and bold point cartridges.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

YES PLEASE!!!

Grizz
archangel

Post by archangel »

Ok, so the LW China-made BaliYos are $11. The heavy duty US-made ones are $50, which already isn't really cheap, even with brass weights and Fisher space ink cartridge. Titanium plus brass weights plus everlasting mechanical parts, US-made - can this still be less than $100? I hope yes.
Michael
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I myself wouldn't have much use for this Baliho for my own EDC uses. But I really like the idea of more Spyderco Hardware being made in "Titanium". It's incredible to me how many good properties that Titanium has for knife handles or any other type of handle for that matter.

Now if I were going to buy this "Baliho" and I had my choice between Titanium or any other material I would probably pick the Titanium almost every time>> that is for any bare metal type handle. Titanium has properties that make it so much more easy to handle than stainless for instance that the two materials aren't even comparable in so many ways.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I'm not rich, but a titanium Spyderco Pen would be a must have for me. It would be worth saving up for.

Grizz
archangel

Post by archangel »

The lightweight China-made version is really wobbly. :( To those who own a heavy duty version: do the wings bend much too, or are they much stiffer around the pivots? I am aware that there probably isn't much material available to stabilize the pivot area, even in the HD version.
Michael
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd buy one if it's under $100.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I would like to see the handles a little longer. The original is fun but I've wanted a metal one for years now. I'd be in for at least 1.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:01 am
I'd buy one if it's under $100.
+1

Around 100, I am In!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:

Hey SDG, since you already gave some feedback to the better sturdiness of the HD version: does it wobble at all? Can the two handle pieces be bent left and right at allwhen they are deployed and back-to-back?

If the HD version is stout enough to hardly bend, or not bend at all, I'm confident that a titanium version would satisfy my haptics expectation. Even if there is not much material available in this rather delicate design.
Michael