I should uh, probably get a Chaparral. Right?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

I should uh, probably get a Chaparral. Right?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I constantly consider buying a new spydie, and generally I look at my knife roll and reconsider... But this one? it's a stuck around.

It seems like a perfect marriage of my two current favorites. The Native G10, and the Watu. simple, ergonomic, and solid like the Native, slicey and pocket friendly like the Watu. I've got one problem, the scales. On the model that's all about the scale material, I KNOW. Raffir noble scratches easily, cf isn't my thing, Ti is uh, 300 dollars. And while that upcoming maple burl model is quite attractive, the long waits on my last few knife projects have made me impatient. SO, my questions for you all are as follows:

• Have you handled the newer sun and moon chap, how does that newer construction compare to the older ones? (raffir noble, cf, etc)
  • How long do you think it should be before the maple burl chap comes around? Should I just buy an frn chap in the meantime? and if that's the way to go how does Taichung's frn compare to seki's?
  • What's the deal with airline food?
  • Do you think I'll have any trouble with birdseye maple warping? I'm either up to my neck in snow or swimming through 98% humidity about 10 months out of the year. I love wood handles and know how to maintain them, I'm an aspiring chef! I have to! But I don't really have any experience with wood in pocket knives.
  • And finally, Just give me your experiences with the Chaparral! I'd love to just hear about the model in use.

I'm sure it feels like most of my posts are like 80% questions, 15% bad jokes, and 35% poor addition skills. And all at 1AM, what a winning combo! But while I occasionally feel like I know what I'm talking about, especially in the realm of kitchen use. I know you all are much more knowledgeable than me in both life experience and long term knife usage, since I've only been in the hobby for a few years. I always feel like it's worth consulting the nice lads around here, especially since I don't have any friends in the hobby :rolleyes:

Thanks for your feedback and discussion as always y'all, have a great rest of your week.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: I should uh, probably get a Chaparral. Right?

Post by Doc Dan »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
I constantly consider buying a new spydie, and generally I look at my knife roll and reconsider... But this one? it's a stuck around.

It seems like a perfect marriage of my two current favorites. The Native G10, and the Watu. simple, ergonomic, and solid like the Native, slicey and pocket friendly like the Watu. I've got one problem, the scales. On the model that's all about the scale material, I KNOW. Raffir noble scratches easily, cf isn't my thing, Ti is uh, 300 dollars. And while that upcoming maple burl model is quite attractive, the long waits on my last few knife projects have made me impatient. SO, my questions for you all are as follows:

• Have you handled the newer sun and moon chap, how does that newer construction compare to the older ones? (raffir noble, cf, etc)
  • How long do you think it should be before the maple burl chap comes around? Should I just buy an frn chap in the meantime? and if that's the way to go how does Taichung's frn compare to seki's?
  • What's the deal with airline food?
  • Do you think I'll have any trouble with birdseye maple warping? I'm either up to my neck in snow or swimming through 98% humidity about 10 months out of the year. I love wood handles and know how to maintain them, I'm an aspiring chef! I have to! But I don't really have any experience with wood in pocket knives.
  • And finally, Just give me your experiences with the Chaparral! I'd love to just hear about the model in use.

I'm sure it feels like most of my posts are like 80% questions, 15% bad jokes, and 35% poor addition skills. And all at 1AM, what a winning combo! But while I occasionally feel like I know what I'm talking about, especially in the realm of kitchen use. I know you all are much more knowledgeable than me in both life experience and long term knife usage, since I've only been in the hobby for a few years. I always feel like it's worth consulting the nice lads around here, especially since I don't have any friends in the hobby :rolleyes:

Thanks for your feedback and discussion as always y'all, have a great rest of your week.
Well, anyone who cooks while up to his neck in snow needs an frn model. :D

I have the CF and the FRN. I prefer the FRN because it gives great traction but is pocket friendly.

Airline food depends on the vendor. The best steak I have ever had was on Malaysian airlines years ago. The best chicken curry I have had Was on Korean air. US airlines are a laughingstock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

First: I do like your posts and think you actually ARE pretty knowledegable and experienced concerning real use of knives... more so than many on this forum (and probably more so than I am)

/ Some of my thoughts on the Chap:

- YES, you absolutely should get a Chap. For me the best (very) small folder ever

- Why not the (linered!) lightweight / FRN version? The Taichung pattern is really grippy and even the looks are pretty "classy" for an FRN knife (my favorite handle material anyway)

- The Chap is NOT only a "gents knife": It has a very sturdy construction (the FRN version either!) with steel liners, and a back of the handle that is all steel (lockbar / backspacer). Feels rock solid in hand

- This is true for the blade either: Despite being so thin (actually thinner than on your Watu or the DFly (2.00 mm Chap / 2.5mm Watu/D Fly) it is strong enough for any task I put it through so far. And I did not baby the knife at all, twisted it in hard wood and so on. Due to the leaf shape the tip, though usefully fine, is still not too fragile.

- This thin blade is one of the best parts of the Chap anyway: Of course thinness is is not the only factor that affects "sliciness" (but also thickness behind the egde, grind angle, blade height, tapering and so on) but still an important one. And I am aware of no other ffg Spydie that has a 2.00 mm blade.

- Ergos: The Chap is not only very thin in the blade, but overall (handle). This makes it a great carry, especially iwb. And despite the thinness, the ergos work very well for my L to XL hands: As a matter of fact I sold my Native LW partly cause the Chap felt, if not more comfortable, still more STABLE in my hand (the Native tends to shift and roll in harder use, while the Chap feels totally locked in).
But be aware: More so than most points here, this of course is totally subjective! Julia ("JuPaul") for example posted quite recently that the Chap ergos would be not for her (small) hands.

- Lock: The Chap has the best and most solid backlock I personally ever experienced (due to the internal stop pin I assume).

- Space efficency: Not unimportant for me in a small knife: The Chap packs a lot of edge in a small package, while still offering a very good four finger grip (due to the choil):
For illustration a comparison to the DFly (a knife I once considered getting instead of the Chap)
Closed length DFly: 3.313", Closed length Chap: 3.60" - so just 0,29" longer
Cutting edge DFly: 1.875 ", cutting edge Chap: 2.35" so 0,48" more cutting edge on the Chap
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Yes, it's good for EDC, I think it's as good as it can get for small blade.
However, I decided to sell mine (so far no luck with it) because it's just a bit small. It was a good experience, but ultimately, I just don't a knife smaller then Manix, or PM2.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:27 am
Yes, it's good for EDC, I think it's as good as it can get for small blade.
However, I decided to sell mine (so far no luck with it) because it's just a bit small. It was a good experience, but ultimately, I just don't a knife smaller then Manix, or PM2.

Despite my praise of the Chap (above and generally): Yes, that´s the point! (Quote): "I think it's as good as it can get for a small blade"

But like you I want to carry larger knives (Endura size and edge length is perfect), and so for me the Chap just for that reason is NOT really good for EDC - just too small.
But: It fills the "small knife niche" among my users more than perfectly. Just to carry it IWB on a short run, just for cutting up smaller stuff with its superior thin blade, just as a companion to a larger knife / fixed blade in the outdoors...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Agree. Being a small knife is not a negative, it does everything very well for a small knife, but....like I said, it was a good experience, but ultimately, I like them a bit bigger.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Too small for me, had a Raffir hankering for a long time and nearly bought one several times must have had it in a cart 5-10 times. Handled one and just a bit too small and light for me and was glad I didn’t buy one.

Have a Mnandi and that’s my one small gentleman’s folder and I don’t use that often enough ( The one knife that I still just sit and look at every time I have it out which is usually when I am getting my Torx set out. )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I've gifted a couple and owned a couple. None now. I'm waiting on the bird's eye.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I dunno, if you already have a Native and it's one of your favorite designs...there's really not anything you're going to gain with the addition of a Chap. It doesn't do anything that the Native can't.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

The Chaparral is a knife I want to love, but that cliché issue of "lock bar too thin, hurts thumb" unfortunately made it a deal breaker for me. The FRN was nice, very similar to Seki but more like Kinects vs Lego. The CF/G10 was alright as well. Perhaps three's a charm with the wood handles, and I'll ignore the lock "issue". The thin blade is definitely a winner. And isn't XHP just a cool name for a blade steel?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I don’t personally believe the Native 5 and Chap are that similar to be interchangeable. The Chap is far slimmer and more intended as a “gentleman’s” (or “ladies”) knife, while the Native is far more of a tank with much thicker handles and blade stock (yes, I know they are basically equally capable for harder use as well). The Chap in my mind is Sal’s Taichung successor to the Caly series out of Moki. I’ve not experienced the tough lockbar situation folks mention all the time, I don’t seem to have any problem with operating its backlock. With its thin blade stock, it’s an incredible slicer and XHP is one of my absolute favorite steels.

It’s unfortunate that it’s been a while since the Ti models have been released, the secondary market prices are pretty high. I’ve been around long enough to have picked them up when they were released and prices were quite a bit more approachable. The Raffir Noble variant was inspired quite a bit by Sal handling my custom Chap (middle one below) at an OKCA show years ago, but they couldn’t source Ctek (the hexagonal black material in the bolster) at a low enough cost to do a run in them and went with RN instead. That one is actually my Raffir Noble one with my scales swapped onto it since that seemed appropriate (and had my CC number on it); the first version was built from a CF model that I ended up selling off a while back (which is funny because I’m eyeing buying another currently). The Sun and Moon one is equally very high quality, and I’m curious to see what the upcoming Birdseye maple one is like in hand. The FRN one is also really great as a more budget-friendly version, and light as a feather. I carry these very frequently, and are often my top choice to carry on business trips (well, I guess when I used to go on business trips...). I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
carrot

Post by carrot »

It took me a few years to warm up to the Chap (I used to be a Caly3 fanboy) but I'm finally there. It's a little lighter, slimmer, snappier than the Caly3, and ultimately the better knife. The action is incredible with no lock rock, the XHP steel is one of my very favorites, and it carries really nicely.

I happen to think the CF version is the best version of this knife. CF embodies all the best traits of the Chap: high tech but classy, elegant but tough, easy to carry but ready to work. I think the next best would be a paper micarta or burlap micarta, but one of those hasn't emerged yet. The Sun and Moon is starting to appeal to me as well.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:01 am
The Chaparral is a knife I want to love, but that cliché issue of "lock bar too thin, hurts thumb" unfortunately made it a deal breaker for me. The FRN was nice, very similar to Seki but more like Kinects vs Lego.
Same. I've owned the frn chap and the Sun and Moon. Both excellent knives, ruined for me by that skinny lock bar, even after moving the spring to ease the lock bar tension. But it doesn't seem to be an issue for lots of people, so I say give it a shot.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
It seems like a perfect marriage of my two current favorites. The Native G10, and the Watu. simple, ergonomic, and solid like the Native, slicey and pocket friendly like the Watu.
I never thought of the Chap that way before but I agree it's like the two had a child and got the best attributes from each, with the exception of the Watu's blade shape...I really like the Watu's blade. ;)

Looking at my Raffir Noble Chap I don't see any scratches on the scales but the the steel backspacer is quite banged up.

While the Chap is extremely capable, I personally find that in extended use the thin handle can be a bit uncomfortable in my hand. No issue when doing shorter tasks, but 20-30+ mins of continuous use it’s not my first choice. That said, the Chap is one of my favorite Spyderco designs and if you're looking for something in it's size range it's a great knife.
-Turbo
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

The Chap LW is my favorite second knife. I removed (by accident) the pocket clip and never put it back on. It is a true pocket knife for me and I love having it with me. That super thin blade is so good and its so thin overall that it carries well. The thin/tough lockbar hasn't been a big issue for me but I know it bothers some people.

I used to have a Chap CF but sold it. It was classy and just as good but I still like the FRN version better.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:01 am
The Chaparral is a knife I want to love, but that cliché issue of "lock bar too thin, hurts thumb" unfortunately made it a deal breaker for me. The FRN was nice, very similar to Seki but more like Kinects vs Lego. The CF/G10 was alright as well. Perhaps three's a charm with the wood handles, and I'll ignore the lock "issue". The thin blade is definitely a winner. And isn't XHP just a cool name for a blade steel?
The lockbar on the Chaparral has never been an issue for me but I owned one before the "thin lockbar" complaint was ever prevalent here on the forum. I've never had the preconceived notion that the lockbar will be too thin, so it really just never bothered me.

The Chaparral was never a knife I intended to "fidget" with either, so I never encountered a time where I was using the lock repeatedly in a short time.
-Nick :bug-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The watu might be a tiny bit more slicey, but the Chap LW (FRN) is probably one of the nicer lockbacks you'll ever use. It's a supremely good value for the money.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Chaparral is one of my favourites. I have had one or another in my rotation for ~8 years. Even used it for construction years ago.

The argos, thin blade and XHP steel are the highlights for me
20201022_083953_copy_3024x1701.jpg
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Get a chap. I sold my FRN when I bought the sun & moon and am currently regretting it and will be buying it again lol. It’s a really great knife with a slicey blade and really nice ergonomics. The lockbar issue is completely overblown IMO.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Hey hey hey op fishy here

I appreciate all of you sharing your experiences with the knife! I think I've decided what I want to do,

A few of you mentioned that it's your favorite "small knife", for me that's the rhino. So I think I'm gonna buy a new one of those (since I long ago sold mine, and immediately regretted it) to tide me over until the birdseye maple chap comes around. Just so I have something a little fancier but with the performance spyderco brings.

Man with those two, and the upcoming spyderfly, and then the new ayoob sprint, and the possibility of the return of the sage 2... My wallet hurts just thinking about it.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v