Manix 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Manix 3

Post by vivi »

I've been thinking about the Manix series a lot the past few weeks.

My M4 XL and foliage green C95 have been dominating my pockets this month, aside from carrying Salts to work.

I've been thinking about what I'd like to see in a Manix 3 series....Here's what I've come up with:

1 - Every iteration of the Manix 3 should have full screw construction

2 - The XL size option needs to be kept.

3 - If it is possible, the XL should have a lightweight option. I think the regular clip would work better than the wire clip due to the overall size.

4 - The handle jimping needs to go. The C95 pictured above is the perfect level of jimping for me. Some fine jimping on the spine and that's it. At the most I'd like to see jimping similar to the Police 4 lightweight. With such a secure handle shape I find the jimping needless on the Manix 2 series, and its my #1 complaint with the line.

5 - I'm happy with both the lockback and caged ball lock versions. I'd also be curious if a power lock version would be possible. Either of these locks would work well for the Manix 3.

6 - I would like the thumb ramp design to go back to the more mellow angle of the C95. See this photo for reference. Having used both side by side I find the C95 thumb ramp more ergonomic than the XL.

7. Keep the 3mm blade stock from the Manix 2. It cuts better, keeps the weight down, and still provides a strong blade.

8. Consider removing the index choil, similar to how the Chinook folder dropped it. Here is a rough mock-up of a choil-less Manix XL with minimal changes to the rest of the handle. Here it is next to an XL showing 1/2" of cutting edge gained.

9. Some contouring on the edges of the scales similar to the Shaman would suit this model very well in my opinion.

10. Keep coating the blade and liners on the DLC models, it really helps with corrosion resistance.

11. Bring back the combo edge option for the XL size.

What would you like to see in a Manix 3 line?

For further reading, here is a comparison between the C95 Manix (the original) and the Manix XL (second gen)
:unicorn
SG89

Re: Manix 3

Post by SG89 »

Contoured G-10 scales would be nice
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Thank you for making this thread vivi. I've been struggling with making a thread for an updated Manix for months now, but I was apprehensive that I still do not have enough forum cred to garner attention and maybe even offend people who are already content with the current Manixes. I love the Manix but like you say, it has flaws in the design and if an updated version can correct these flaws, they would have another stellar product that will sell out Sprints and Exclusives like the PM2 /Para3 platform. I've actually done some mockups in Photoshop on some ideas on how to make the Manix better - like reducing the folded footprint and making it less of a pocket hog, to increasing the blade length while retaining the handle size, although your idea of removing the choil seems like a much, much better idea overall (i never used to choil part, too uncomfortable). I'll try to dig in my laptop if I can still find that photoshopped mockup later.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

That mock up for #8 appears to be a Caribbean with a bbl.

Although to actually answer your question, the lw needs screwed construction and better grip. That’s all I really would change.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
vivi

Post by vivi »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:08 pm
Thank you for making this thread vivi. I've been struggling with making a thread for an updated Manix for months now, but I was apprehensive that I still do not have enough forum cred to garner attention and maybe even offend people who are already content with the current Manixes. I love the Manix but like you say, it has flaws in the design and if an updated version can correct these flaws, they would have another stellar product that will sell out Sprints and Exclusives like the PM2 /Para3 platform. I've actually done some mockups in Photoshop on some ideas on how to make the Manix better - like reducing the folded footprint and making it less of a pocket hog, to increasing the blade length while retaining the handle size, although your idea of removing the choil seems like a much, much better idea overall (i never used to choil part, too uncomfortable). I'll try to dig in my laptop if I can still find that photoshopped mockup later.
I would be very interested to see your ideas. I'm curious to see what you
did to reduce the folded width especially. While I've grown used to it the Manix folders are certainly wide in the pocket.

You may be new here but I've found your posts insightful. Glad to have you around.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Although to actually answer your question, the lw needs screwed construction and better grip. That’s all I really would change.
Would you want to change the shape of the grip or the texture?

I'd be real interested in a CBBL caribbean :)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It might be an unpopular opinion but the only thing I would want is a switch to a backlock.

Every time I go to close a manix I cant help but notice its backlock roots.

While the backlock is my preferred lock I only tolerate the bbl and cbbl.

On the regular manix 2 size knife the cbbl isnt too bad, but it drives me a bit crazy on the XL size. I just cant help but think I would enjoy closing that knife more if it had the backlock.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:39 pm

8. Consider removing the index choil,

Hey, Viv.
While I don't agree with some of your points, on this one, we are in total agreement. On the XL, there is no reason for the forward choil. It makes no sense at all. Dump it.

Another suggestion is move the clip mounting points more toward the end, and make it a deep carry clip. The standard XL clip is silly. If I wanted that much knife sticking out of my pocket, I'd just forget about a folder and go to a fixed blade on my belt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:08 pm
I've been struggling with making a thread for an updated Manix for months now, but I was apprehensive that I still do not have enough forum cred to garner attention and maybe even offend people who are already content with the current Manixes. I love the Manix but like you say, it has flaws in the design and if an updated version can correct these flaws, they would have another stellar product that will sell out Sprints and Exclusives like the PM2 /Para3 platform. I've actually done some mockups in Photoshop on some ideas on how to make the Manix better - like reducing the folded footprint and making it less of a pocket hog, to increasing the blade length while retaining the handle size, although your idea of removing the choil seems like a much, much better idea overall (i never used to choil part, too uncomfortable). I'll try to dig in my laptop if I can still find that photoshopped mockup later.

Funny, like you I also began to start a thread about an updated Manix several times ("Manix 2.0"), but never really finished one... ;)

Some points generally and specifically concerning the ideas in this thread (Yours, Vivis...) so far:

- Though I sligthly prefer the backlock over the CBBL (my Nr.1 and Nr.2 locktypes), I would like to KEEP the Manix a CBBL knife - just cause there are so few of those out there

- IF the Manix remains to be a CBBL knife: I am pretty sure it has to have some kind of choil technically, due to the space the CBBL requires inside the handle? (And so, Vivi, a Manix like in your mock up probably could not be made, unless it would get a backlock?)

- Though I am generally more of an "edge all the way to the handle"-guy, in the Manix I like the choil anyway. I use my lightweights choked up on the choil about 90% of the time I´d say - and in a work knife that one might use continuously over a long period of time, being able to change the grip from time to time can be a good thing concerning comfort
What I DON`T like though (and this of course IS a consequence of the choil) is the short cutting edge of the Manix - this clearly reduces its versatility, and I carry the Manix not really as a general EDC folder, but more like a smaller work knife with superior ergos and grip options, but limited due the short edge in some tasks

- So: I´d give the Manix a longer edge just by l
1.) Lengthening the blade (there´d be space for that in the handle, and it has not even reached the 3.5" "legal limit" yet)
2.) Perhaps reducing the blade part of the choil a bit and lengthen the handle part of the choil (make it more "kapara-ish") - by that it could get more edge in a blade of the same length.
In order to keep the grip area behind the choil the same length, the "beak" at the end of the handle would then have to be moved back a bit (like in the Stretch)

- The "No choil backlock Manix" should come true then in the form and shape of a "Rock Jumper XL with mellower thumb ramp"... :rolleyes:

- I would not like to see the width of the Manix to get reduced!! This wide handle and wide blade are exactly what I like in this model and what make for the handfilling grip.
Furthermore, for me personally a LONG folder in the pocket can bother me, but not a WIDE folder - actually, the lightweight Manix carries so amazingly well exactly because it is so light relatively to its size. Exactly this makes it very "stable" and "unbouncy" in thinner, wider pockets: Not a perfect comparison (especially since folders have pocket clips), but think of it like this: If you have two balls of the exact same weight, but in one the mass is concentrated in a ball of just 1" diameter, in the other in a ball of 10" diameter. Now which ball would bounce around more and stabilize itself less when put in a pack on your back and you run with it?

- Vivi, 3mm blade stock at max (or actually 3.2 with the Manix), I am totally with you

- There absolutely should be an LW version of the XL!

- There even more so absolutely should be a full ffg SE version, at least in the LW BD1N versions!

- The S30V G10 "base model" of a Manix 3 (whatever this would look like) should get the milled out liners and the lighter weight of the other G10 versions.

I have more thoughts, but little time at the moment... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:32 pm
It might be an unpopular opinion but the only thing I would want is a switch to a backlock.

Every time I go to close a manix I cant help but notice its backlock roots.

Just as a quick side note, should you have missed this thread I started: Maybe you´d like to try one of the CBBL closing methods shown there (link) viewtopic.php?t=87806
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:51 pm
[
Another suggestion is move the clip mounting points more toward the end, and make it a deep carry clip. The standard XL clip is silly. If I wanted that much knife sticking out of my pocket, I'd just forget about a folder and go to a fixed blade on my belt.
This 100x
I can't stand the clip position on Manix XL. It is ruining an overall very appealing model to me. I don't want 2.5 cm of knife sticking out. Move the clip to the end of handle, just like on regular Manix 2
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

And here I was hoping the Manix 3 would be a 3" blade...

I'm honestly quite happy with the Manix 2 how it is. I would go for screw construction on the LWs but not an absolute must for me. I wouldn't want the finger choil to go away either. I'm also one of the weirdos who likes all the extra jimping on the G10 models. I certainly don't need it. I just think it's a really nice touch. I might feel differently if I was using the knife for a long time and really cranking on it. If I was doing that I'd probably find a more efficient way to get the job done

Not sure why some see the Manix as having "flaws" and want to make it into a different knife. I personally like the design. If I want something different else I pick a different model. If you want to design a whole new model then have at it. Let's keep the Manix 2 at least close to what it is now. I have no interest in the XL model. So change that all you want
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd have no issues with the Manix 3 keeping the choil. I do use it from time to time, like today when I did some whittling with my C95. It's just an idea I had that I thought might give it a better blade to handle ratio.

I'm fine with the current XL clip placement, but I think mounting it a little higher would make it carry better. I would still want some handle sticking out though, not 100% deep carry.

I wouldn't want the handle made any more narrow, but if the folded knife could somehow be more narrow that would be a plus.

For the record I'm happy with both generations, but its fun to kick around ideas for one of my favorite series of Spydercos.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:15 pm

I'm honestly quite happy with the Manix 2 how it is. I would go for screw construction on the LWs but not an absolute must for me. I wouldn't want the finger choil to go away either. I'm also one of the weirdos who likes all the extra jimping on the G10 models. I certainly don't need it. I just think it's a really nice touch. I might feel differently if I was using the knife for a long time and really cranking on it. If I was doing that I'd probably find a more efficient way to get the job done

Not sure why some see the Manix as having "flaws" and want to make it into a different knife. I personally like the design. If I want something different else I pick a different model. If you want to design a whole new model then have at it. Let's keep the Manix 2 at least close to what it is now. I have no interest in the XL model. So change that all you want
Well, then just lengthen the blade about the 4 mm that would fit into the handle? That would give the otherwise exact same model a pm2-ish cutting edge. Don´t think that would make the knife more cumbersome in any task, but more versatile in some... (and the blade gets shorter anyway over time due to sharpening)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:15 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Would you want to change the shape of the grip or the texture?

I'd be real interested in a CBBL caribbean :)
well either a salt manix or a cbbl caribbean are both good. I mostly have problems with the texture of the frcp itself on the manix lw. I got concerningly close to dropping my old manix lw into hot oil, or worse, on multiple occasions. Aside from the inner shaping (which is wonderful), the frcp is slick as buttered glass. Especially when wet or oily. To be fair my new caribbean isn't much better (in one direction at least), and I've already dropped it more than I ever did my manix, but that's a different post...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I agree that the CBBL in the Manix is great. And unfortunately, going blade back to handle is harder with that lock. What makes the Manix a Manix, however, is the handle shape, right? The C95 had a back lock. One of several advantages to a back lock is it allows for tip down carry. Another is that it facilitates bringing the edge back to the handle. I love this aspect of my Caribbean.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Yes please increase the cutting edge of the Manix and tone down the sharp points on the spine. Contouring would be nice but not if it's gonna be as expensive as a Shaman. As with all of Spyderco knives the blade should also be stone washed. I really really really super duper miss the stonewash blades and I'm so grateful I got my Manix before they went to satin. It was my first G10 Spyderco.

Also I named my dog Manix
94491298_280240769668753_2375728595340361728_n.jpg
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:58 pm

- Though I sligthly prefer the backlock over the CBBL (my Nr.1 and Nr.2 locktypes), I would like to KEEP the Manix a CBBL knife - just cause there are so few of those out there

- So: I´d give the Manix a longer edge just by l
1.) Lengthening the blade (there´d be space for that in the handle, and it has not even reached the 3.5" "legal limit" yet)

Hi Wartstein,

I fully agree with most of your points here. I think for the Manix (3) to retain its essence, it should be a CBBL through and through. As a leftie this is what I love the most about the Manix is that it feels truly ambidextrous without any compromise in closing the knife. I love compression locks too and I can close them one handed quickly but it took me some time to practice the correct closing technique one-handed.

With regards to blade length I think my mockup might give everyone an idea about how a little bit of blade length would look compared to the current Manix 2.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:15 pm

Well, then just lengthen the blade about the 4 mm that would fit into the handle? That would give the otherwise exact same model a pm2-ish cutting edge. Don´t think that would make the knife more cumbersome in any task, but more versatile in some... (and the blade gets shorter anyway over time due to sharpening)
Honestly...when have you EVER used a knife and cut something from tip to ricasso/choil and weren't able to cut whatever it was you were cutting?? Or get to the ricasso/choil and thought "this knife would have been so much better with 4 more mm of edge" I'm willing to bet NEVER. Come on now...it's getting VERY OLD, day in and day out multiple times a day across almost every model imaginable.

I could understand asking about an inch or a half inch, but nitpicking these couple mm's on so many models or favoring a model because of it is ridiculous. You might as well carry a sword or at minimum something like a Z Cut in a small little sheath and you'll have more than enough cutting edge. A Z-Cut is also a lot lighter than most of these LW folders (which is a big deal to you as well) Problem solved :rolleyes:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Here are some Photoshop mockups I did regarding some slight modifications to the standard Manix 2 that may help it become a slimmer blade folded in pocket, as well as having some extra bit of blade tip. This is my Manix 2 which I photographed to look like a stock image then did some minor edits in Photoshop.

Some points to ponder/discuss:

1.) I changed the position of the CBBL from diagonal to nearly vertical/parallel to the handle spine/jimping area. I got this Idea from the Q-Ball and the D'Allara 3 and I wonder if this will help in reducing the folded width of the knife. And Benchmade has been doing this for years on end with their Axis locks - I wonder if a redesign like this would be possible and would it help in making the knife less wide when closed? (again, looking at Benchmades and how they are darn pocket friendly)

2.) I reduced the hand guard/the area where the lower choil extends outward a little bit. I felt that the extra length could be reduced to make using the choil more comfortable - but then this may depend on the user and some might not find the lengthy protusion bothersome. Just a thought I'd like to throw out there. It may also help in reducing the closed width.

3.) I shaved a few MMs from the width of the handle area.

4.) added an MM or two to the tip, then slightly lengthened the blade and compressed it in the spine area - the thumb ramp no longer seems prominent, and along with the reduction of width the Spydie hole moved also a bit inward. If you looked at the closed image, part of the Spydie hole becomes recessed in the handle - kinda like the Native 5. I don't think that its a bad thing at all and it certainly would help reduce the width of the closed knife.

The second image shows how would the theoretical adjustments would look compared the the current Manix . I think it would be possible to add a wee bit more blade length without lengthening the handle .

Thanks and again, these are just theoretical projections and I'm no engineer, just a guy who likes fooling around with Photoshop from time to time, but I would like to put these out there because I love the Manix so much and I think a few more CQI adjustments would make it one of the best knives out there.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Also (I forgot this thought while typing my previous reply but I swear I was thinking about it earlier, lol) a choil-less design *might* be possible in a CBBL given that the D-Allara 3 has no choil and a full cutting edge. Again, *might* is the word as I'm no engineer here.