SFO virtual tour - please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

SFO virtual tour - please!

Post by ChrisinHove »

After Sal mentioned the Watu display at the SFO, I went searching for a virtual tour, but no joy.

How about a virtual tour for those of us too distant to visit?
Mushroom

Re: SFO virtual tour - please!

Post by Mushroom »

A few years ago BladeHQ did something similar to an SFO virtual tour. It's not a step by step tour through the door, but if you haven't seen the videos, I think you will enjoy them.

https://youtu.be/JlsoX_Hkd1c

https://youtu.be/_Du7AFPKIuw
-Nick :bug-red
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I live down the road from SFO. If Spyderco doesn’t mind me recording inside their store, I could do a quick walk through recording. It’s a very cool place to visit, but may not be the “Mecca” of Spyderco knives if that’s what you’re expecting. There’s only so much space and not every knife model is available. If you can touch it, you can buy it. The high demand knives go fast.

I hear rumors that there’s a complete collection upstairs in their offices... if so, that would be impressive to see.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Is the actual Spyderco knife factory located in the very same building as the Spyderco factory outlet? Just curious :)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

AlexRus wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:46 am
Is the actual Spyderco knife factory located in the very same building as the Spyderco factory outlet? Just curious :)
Yep they're in the same building.
-Nick :bug-red
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:34 pm
AlexRus wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:46 am
Yep they're in the same building.
That's cool :)
Thank you
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Today's tour starts with a covid check at the front desk ... questions and forehead temperature scan!!!

Also, knives are sanitized after handling and before they are returned to the case!!!!!!

I suspect the rest minus new models is the same as before ... but the displays do move around from time to time.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rinzler,

That would probably be OK. Make sure to talk to Derrek, the store manager, let him know what you are doing and tell him you spoke with me about it.

sal
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:59 pm
Today's tour starts with a covid check at the front desk ... questions and forehead temperature scan!!!

CG
Zero co-pay for the temp scan and plenty of hand sanitizer for your shopping pleasure! ;)
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:08 pm
Hi Rinzler,

That would probably be OK. Make sure to talk to Derrek, the store manager, let him know what you are doing and tell him you spoke with me about it.

sal
Awesome! :)
carrot

Post by carrot »

I was at SFO earlier this year, as I usually make the pilgrimage every year.

You drive up Spyderco Way after making making a sketchy u-turn on 93 because you were listening to a great song on the radio and the sign for Spyderco heading east is a little too small and you were going a little too fast and it was a left turn anyway.

Coming up the hill, you see the big sign. SPYDERCO. You see the gleaming windows and brick exterior of the factory, and pull into the parking lot, which is full of employee vehicles and many parking spots to choose from.

You put on your mask, open the door. A smiling employee greets you at the front desk, asks you to do a temperature check and wash your hands with sanitizer. You glance up the stairs, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Glessers. (I still haven't met Sal or Eric!) Alas, they are probably hard at work and not walking around. You take a left turn thru glass doors and enter the factory store where all of the knives Spyderco currently makes are on display.

Imagine incredibly knowledgeable and attentive employees who are patient enough to let you handle every single model in the store, spray sanitizer on every single knife and wipe them down after handling, and casually let you know that a whole bunch of knives you weren't really thinking about buying today are on sale just under street price.

Then, you get to the counter to buy what you came to get, and you see Counter Puppies and BaliYos at a deliciously appealing price and purchase one of each before snagging a catalog and mid-year supplement on the way out.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:47 am
I live down the road from SFO. If Spyderco doesn’t mind me recording inside their store, I could do a quick walk through recording. It’s a very cool place to visit, but may not be the “Mecca” of Spyderco knives if that’s what you’re expecting. There’s only so much space and not every knife model is available. If you can touch it, you can buy it. The high demand knives go fast.

I hear rumors that there’s a complete collection upstairs in their offices... if so, that would be impressive to see.
Be sure to get close-up video of the Watu wooden handle survey display, too. I'm sure that'll light up the Forum for a while. (I voted for #4, by the way.) ;)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Excellent!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Great. I’ll probably head over sometime Friday.

Is there anything (besides the Watu case) that anyone would like me to focus on in particular?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Thank you for doing this! Much appreciated!

Happy to watch whatever you find interesting enough to film!
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:05 pm
Is there anything (besides the Watu case) that anyone would like me to focus on in particular?
The Q and the Native displays are there now, too.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:05 pm
Great. I’ll probably head over sometime Friday.

The Native museum/display would be awesome! And of course the 9/11 memorial wall. Thank you for doing this!
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

...and all of your bloopers and outtakes, too. :D
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:47 am

I think it is important that people realize that "not every knife model is available" in the SFO. Especially those who are traveling across states. The SFO, like retailers, does sell out of popular high demand items as well as some of the others from time to time. It is great to get to handle knives prior to purchasing which really helps lock in what to buy and what to pass on. I once drove across states to a Cabelas only to find their complete catalogue was not available on the retail floor. It was a disappointment as I had anticipated being able to see and handle everything I was interested in which was a ton of stuff but didn't turn out to be the case.

Great thing about SFO is it is small scale retail and something of a boutique experience with experienced staff and not the knife counter at the big box sporting goods.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Work projects have delayed me on getting to SFO, but I was able to make it over there today. As usual Spyderco’s employees were top notch and I was able to get some video in the morning without the store being busy as it typically is.

I have a video walkthrough of the store and another video (and pictures) focused on the watu knives that I’ll upload and post later tonight.

I hope you all can enjoy it even though the commentary is light and I’m not a professional YouTube knife personality or videographer...