Major Dilemma!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

Major Dilemma!

Post by TkoK83Spy »

As many of you regulars around here know, my job is a shipping/receiving coordinator for a major paper mill here in the Northeast. I've been doing this job for almost 12 years now, and I honestly love my job.

I found out just yesterday that my boss is planning on retiring at the end of 2021, and I'm a very strong candidate to take her job if I choose to go for it! She's like a second mother to me, we have a great relationship and she thinks I should go for it and that she thinks I'd do a great job after going under her wing for some extensive training if I were selected for the job. She told me to start, I'd likely see a $10,000-15,000 pay increase per year given my time with company already.

Now, with my current position I'm basically self managed and really only need her help something is too far out of my hands. I really enjoy what I do, my flexibility and being able to go all throughout the mill, interact and develop friendships and relationships with many of our 220+ employees, as well as all the truck drivers and vendors I deal with on a regular basis.

I make decent money, my wife and I live in a nice neighborhood that was built in the 80's, have a nice home (by our standards), new vehicles, live comfortably within our means.

Yes, a raise of $10,000-15,000 a year would be amazing and I'm grateful to even be considered for the job (normally need a bachelor's degree for her position and I only have an associate's degree)

But...her job is also quite stressful. She has a lot of meetings (which I don't do well with, I'm a hands in type of person) she also has an office in the middle of the mill, no windows, kind of stuck in a box. As many of you see from my photos, I'm all over the place and I love that freedom and ability to roam. I'd be in charge of 2 others that she doesn't have much faith in doing their jobs, as well as hiring someone to fill my position.

There's obviously a lot more too it, but I won't bore you with the details. I've spoke to my wife and parents about this and have had some mixed feelings on what I should do.

I'm asking any of you...have you ever had a job you loved (as I do now) and taken a different position and ended up regretting it? I'd obviously love that kind of life changing raise and being able to really help my family financially more so than I can now...but, I'm worried I would end up not liking my job!! Would it be worth it?? More money, but less happy to work?? I'm really torn here and it's eating at me badly. My wife thinks I need to do what makes me happy and not worry about the financial aspect because we live comfortably as it is, which is reassuring to hear. I just feel like if I didn't take the chance, I could end up regretting it...but also could end up regretting taking the position and not liking my job!!

Have any of you been in this position before?? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Sorry for writing a book!!

Also...if I took this position...it would eliminate my need for a knife at work, which has actually crossed my mind as a major negative for the position!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Re: Major Dilemma!

Post by MacLaren »

Rick, sometimes its like the higher the tree, the weaker the limb. But, then again, you'll be the boss and have more control of your own destiny.
From what you've written, I would suggest you just stay put and hope that whoever takes over is as cool as she was. That's just what I'm feeling from reading what you've written. Being happy and satisfied is worth a helluva lot of money imo.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Biggest question to ask is if you take the job would you be able to go back to your old job if you didn't like it?

I'm in a similar situation. I currently work for a small hospital in admissions/registrations for their busy diagnostic center. The manager of the center actually pushed for them to hire me full time (I was working through a staffing agency) because of my experience in the clinical side of the medical field. I like the people I work with, management loves the job I do, and I still get to work with patients to a degree. Currently though there are 3 positions in the Health Information Dept for certified coders - which I am. In addition to bumping me up in paygrade, there is a $1500 sign on bonus.

I've not taken it.

At 1st there was only one open position maybe 2 years ago. I'd heard the manager was not good to work for, but was retiring in a year. Then about a year ago the sign on bonus got added. I was tempted, but still heard negative comments about the department, so I held off. Then there were two openings, and a month ago a third - all with the sign on bonus. To me that was a flag. One of my co-workers transferred from the medical record department, which is next to that department, and has nothing good to say about the managers for it. With one son in college & the other a Senior in High School, plus a few house projects needing to be done, the extra money would be nice. But to me the extra money is not worth working a job I hate to go in to.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

If you don't need the money don't stress yourself out with added responsibility. Make nice with the new boss so they will let you continue to be free to test spydies lol.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:33 pm

I'm asking any of you...have you ever had a job you loved (as I do now) and taken a different position and ended up regretting it? I'd obviously love that kind of life changing raise and being able to really help my family financially more so than I can now...but, I'm worried I would end up not liking my job!!
I wouldn't respond do just anyone, but you're worthy of my completely unqualified ramblings. Consider me one of the elder dogs. If you're one of the younger pups, then quit your whimpering and step up to the big leagues. As the years pass, you'll continue climbing the ladder, and one day you just might be making the big bucks. Your family will benefit from big bucks.

If you're an elder dog like me... then my opinion might not be as valid. I'm still trying to figure it out, myself. I've recently been posed with a similar decision, and I finally decided to keep doing what I'm good at and let some other jamoke sit in the big chair. As it turns out, the guy that took the position is having to dance to the tune of the evil overlords. And in the meantime, I've solidified my lower-level position. It's not without stress, change always involves stress. But at this time in my career, the goal is to minimize stress, conflict, and interaction with others.

The bottom line, which as worked well for me in my younger years, is "follow the money." When offered more money, take it. Accumulated opportunities are what lead to long term wealth.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you take the promotion, assuming you are offered the job, then you will get to determine how the job is done and make it your own. Right now, it is her job and she does it her way. You do not have to continue to do things her way as long as you get the job done. There are techniques you can learn to lessen the stress of a job and you can do things like team building, that she might not have been as good at as you can become. Like Rusty Iron said, I would take the promotion and the money, as much as I could get. You never know where it will lead. One thing I can guarantee is that someone else with her job will probably change yours.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

As a forum enabler I gotta say, you can buy a lot of Spydies with that money!!! :D

I have an honest answer too. I’ll get back to you later with that. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

From what you've written, I would counsel not pursuing the job. The "cons" you have listed strike me as definite "red flags" in your own mind; that is, you yourself seem to acknowledge that there are significant downsides to the job opportunity. Is the pay raise the only positive? Also, you say that you would "likely see a $10,000-$15,000 pay increase per year..." Is it definite, likely, or only possible? I've seen instances where people were given raises upon promotion that were not commensurate with raises given to others upon promotion, for a variety of reasons. One would hope that your company would give you full credit for your Associate degree (where technically the qualification calls for a Bachelor), but that would be something you would need to find out for sure. I myself was once offered a job in New Jersey at a lower rate of pay than advertised because I lacked one of the certifications required. Naturally, I declined (because that was a pretty $h!tty thing for the employer to do). Overall, I think your hesitancy is an indicator that should not be ignored, but I think you will make the right call for yourself and your family either way.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
standy99

Post by standy99 »

My advice is take the job. If you don’t and someone new comes in and is a pain or even gets on better with one of the other two and annoy you.

Have been happy to stay where I am for a number of years like yourself as it’s comfortable but now I’m in the reality of having idiots above me that know less. It’s my fault and I know it. Doh
Still Get to do a lot of cool stuff so not a outright bummer but yeah after 10 years I should have stepped up to make the next 5 years easier.

Say no once then you can sometimes be looked over in years to come.

If your nearing retirement stay put but if you have years ahead look to the future. If you can be the boss of three workers your safer if lay offs happen also.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:10 am
My advice is take the job. If you don’t and someone new comes in and is a pain or even gets on better with one of the other two and annoy you.

Have been happy to stay where I am for a number of years like yourself as it’s comfortable but now I’m in the reality of having idiots above me that know less. It’s my fault and I know it. Doh
Still Get to do a lot of cool stuff so not a outright bummer but yeah after 10 years I should have stepped up to make the next 5 years easier.

Say no once then you can sometimes be looked over in years to come.

If your nearing retirement stay put but if you have years ahead look to the future. If you can be the boss of three workers your safer if lay offs happen also.
Thats a good point consider - whether being close to retirement or not. Good point indeed.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for the input and advice so far everyone. To clear up the age thing, I'm 37...so still quite a ways to go in my career!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I should add (read: should have said in my first post) that not only do I think you'll make the right decision, but I also think you're the kind of guy that works very hard and you stand a great chance of getting the job if you choose to go for it. And of course, I'm rooting for you all the way.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely a tough decision. Take it and possibly hate it, or pass and risk getting soured on your current position by someone who likes to micro-manage their employees. Was in a somewhat similar position about 16 years ago, enjoyed programming, was not enough of a "people person" to enjoy the idea of managing others, so I passed on it. But, I had the advantage of knowing a lateral transfer to a sister agency was always possible if the new team leader turned out to be insufferable.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Rick, I don't know that I can offer much advice to you on this but here are some of my thoughts:

You're pretty young, so if I were you I would very seriously consider the step up. Progress like that, early in your career, is generally a good thing especially if you really enjoy working for your particular company. At your age, you should have a lot of potential ahead of you which you don't want to pass by if you can help it.

Also, as others have said, your job will be changing even if you don't take the position, and that change may or may not be for the better.

Take your time about it, and consult others whom you trust. Sounds like you've got a very supportive and helpful wife; you'll definitely need to be together on whatever you decide.

Either way, you have my best wishes, Rick! ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tough call but I say go for the new position. Make the best of it and squirrel away as much of the extra money as you can for your retirement. Opportunities like this don't come up often and you might be way better at the new position then you think. You won't know until you try and you'll always be wondering if you don't. This sounds like a great opportunity for you. Yes, expect a little stress with a position change like this. Be proactive and make the position yours
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
James Y

Post by James Y »

My response is pretty much what Connor said.

Wishing you the best of luck in whichever choice you make!

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That’s a tough decision. I asked my retiring boss once whether I should take his job and he advised definitely not too!

Talk it over with your retiring boss, sit alongside her for a time, get to know the role - no one would think you anything but diligent in doing so.

Also: do you really want to be doing your current job for the rest of your life?
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Stay put. Simplicity, freedom and comfort are wonderful things. Its hard to put a price on your happiness my friend.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I left management about 5 years ago. I just got sick of having to tell grown adults to do their jobs. I changed careers and managed to make more than I did in management, but for a while I did take a huge (30%) pay cut. I learned that for me money can't replace happiness in a job. Work is such a huge part of your life, it's gonna take up at least half of your waking hours each day, and if the job makes you miserable money isn't going to make up for that (again, for me that is). I'd think about the job and try to figure out how happy you'd be doing it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Rick, I've chased titles and money to keep up with the Jones' but that made me miserable and as someone who has taken a big pay cut for happiness, location, spending more time with my wife, children and general well being, don't let that hinder or diminish what YOU can do. You are more than a title and a paycheck, so don't limit yourself.
Me and my wife are getting close to having an empty nest and I don't regret having a "lesser" title because I've enjoyed being with them in body and mind for the last ten years or so.

Being challenged is healthy, however, and I'd say go for it, especially if your family supports you and you think your heart may be in it.

As for knives? I don't "need" one for work, I generally look around for stuff to use my knives on, so as long as your new office has some privacy, find a bucket, some wood and do some whittling....you know, for therapeutic reasons :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049