Siren

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Siren

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:42 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:17 am
With some effort, I have found the grip that loosens (but does not release) the Siren’s lock, thus giving the blade some vertical play.

It might also play a role how far back or forward on the handle the lockbar sits exactly relative to the hand position on a certain handle.
Added to my post above:

If you look closely at Siren resp. Endura and imagine where the hand will actually sist on the handle (think of the Sirens wide front guard):
On the Siren a more front part of the hand will be situated on the lockbar than it is the case on the Endura.
No idea if that influences how easy the lockbar can be disengaged accidently, but it could be that òne applies more pressure with a more front part of the hand than with a more rear part when gripping a knife- ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:15 pm
Your Endura has a Boye dent, right?
It does. That may be a contributing feature.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:39 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:42 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:17 am
With some effort, I have found the grip that loosens (but does not release) the Siren’s lock, thus giving the blade some vertical play.

It might also play a role how far back or forward on the handle the lockbar sits exactly relative to the hand position on a certain handle.
Added to my post above:

If you look closely at Siren resp. Endura and imagine where the hand will actually sist on the handle (think of the Sirens wide front guard):
On the Siren a more front part of the hand will be situated on the lockbar than it is the case on the Endura.
No idea if that influences how easy the lockbar can be disengaged accidently, but it could be that òne applies more pressure with a more front part of the hand than with a more rear part when gripping a knife- ?
You may be right, Gernot.

But the acid test is this: find a natural hammer grip on the Siren where the partial release occurs, then position your hand on the Endura in exactly the same grip and same relation to the lock. I’ve done that and cannot induce a partial release of the Endura’s lock bar because of the Boye dent.

But I can induce a partial release on the Endura if I grip it as I would never do in practice (because uncomfortable). I guess the Boye dent assumes the user will not try to go beyond its design parameters.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Not even attempting to get the latest Sprints gets me that much closer to the Siren. A novel design beats a N+1 iteration of the same, old same old. The picture next to the Amalgam put me over the edge. :spyder:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Let's see if we can put a few more over the edge. If anyone's worried about the backlock, there's always the Waterway.

Waterway, Jumpmaster 2, Siren.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

That picture just reminds me how much I want a Waterway, even though folding knives serve me fine and I don't really have a realistic need specifically for fixed blades outside the kitchen.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Anyone else reminded of the old Wayne Goddard knives when they see a Siren?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Yup. I’d like to see a Siren XL
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Here’s my two daily carry knives. Almost used this for the contest but decided to go with the other one.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:18 am
Here’s my two daily carry knives. Almost used this for the contest but decided to go with the other one.

Lovely.

Only the novelty of my new Ulize has pushed the Siren out of my pocket.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

I gave my Siren a serious work out over the past few weeks. Planning to write up a thread this weekend. If there's anything specific anyone here wants me to address, like specific grips interfering with the lock, let me know.
Surfingringo wrote:

That's a gorgeous photo!
:unicorn
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Looking forward to your write up, but even beyond scientific analysis, I would also be interested in your subjective impression as to how you think a serrated version would compare to a serrated Pac salt from ergonomics to preferential blade shape/design, etc.

If a serrated Siren should come to pass, I think that changing the blue G10 liner from blue to yellow to differentiate between the two at a glance would be a nice touch as I can easily envision myself carrying both as a matching pair.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Vivi,

Glad you are here. I agree with Skeeg, I would like to know your subjective opinion.

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Surfingringo wrote:

i really like this one too. great shots.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I stumbled across a good deal on a Siren and grabbed it. I cannot add anything new to the discussion except, that for me, it is tantalizingly close to the "One". When I pare down my accumulation, this will be in the small group I keep. Well done to @Surfingringo and Spyderco!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Funny this thread popped up, I just stumbled across Lance's 20 minute rundown of this knife on youtube, and I'm completley sold. Unless the Rex Chief finally drops real soon its gonna be the next knife I get. Originally I saw it as " hey another salt spydie, neat" with no real interest in it. But really appreciated hearing the designer talk about all the intricacies of the knife. Seems like a very well thought out, useful tool. Plus I'm on a back lock kick right now, so it sounds perfect to me!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

You guys are such a nice bunch of enablers. I ordered the Waterway about two weeks ago, should be here this week. And now the Siren is incoming as well. Shame on you...

...and also, thank you. I predict a future with lots of use for both of them ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Lumpy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:05 pm
Funny this thread popped up, I just stumbled across Lance's 20 minute rundown of this knife on youtube, and I'm completley sold. Unless the Rex Chief finally drops real soon its gonna be the next knife I get. Originally I saw it as " hey another salt spydie, neat" with no real interest in it. But really appreciated hearing the designer talk about all the intricacies of the knife. Seems like a very well thought out, useful tool. Plus I'm on a back lock kick right now, so it sounds perfect to me!
It's definitely a knife suitable for EDC and general purpose.

It's funny the way salt marketing can change perceptions.
:unicorn
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Nice pics.

Nice fish.

Intimidating looking gills for PE.

Did you use the Siren to bleed it or something with teeth?

Gonna order an LC200N SE Pac Salt 2 but I still want a Siren with teeth.