Wharncliffe's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Re: Wharncliffe's

Post by foofie »

I think I have shared this pic before - shows my love for wharncliffe's.

A couple things to add - part of why they work so well (for me) is the tip is lower due to lack of a belly. When cutting with the tip, this almost automatically simulates a negative blade angle which I prefer. As a result, almost every wharncliffe is a more ergonomic and convenient tip cutter.

One other note - my ?grail? blade would be a para3 in a wharncliffe. Or resurrect the ukpk wharncliffe? For the time being, I have boomer52's lil' para scales on a delica wharncliffe to get as close as I can...

elena86

Post by elena86 »

A slightly modified wharncliffe is my favorite plain edge shape... something between a classic wharncliffe and a hawkbill ... as in the P'kal. Tremendous cutting power yet quite easy to sharpen. That being said, my beloved SE wharnie Delica is probably my most carried and used spydie lately. I only hope it gets the green LC salt treatement.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

There’s never been a UKPK Wharncliffe, only the orange G10 Urban...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I was hooked by the Kiwi 4 blade - sooooo useful! My recent Endura SE wharnie is now a favourite, too.

I would love a UK legal Urban Wharncliffe but they’re rarer than hens teeth, it would appear.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I too prefer a modified sheepsfoot with a little belly. The profile of the Bradford Guardian 3 Sheepsfoot is perfection. But I've been carrying a PE Rock Jumper for a couple weeks now and I'm pretty impressed. On top of the superb ergos on Sal's new design, I really like the blade height on this Wharncliffe.
kobold

Post by kobold »

This and ergonomics are the reason I am waiting for the green Atlantic Salt. And if I need a more pointy blade, I will just reshape the tip.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Riggz

Post by Riggz »

Huge wharncliffe fan! The Delica Wharnie is the model I drool over and use the most. Excited to hear Sal’s comments and look forward to any new grind variant of the blade shape.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m very interested in the concept, Sal.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
olywa

Post by olywa »

kobold wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:10 pm
This and ergonomics are the reason I am waiting for the green Atlantic Salt. And if I need a more pointy blade, I will just reshape the tip.
Amen, I'll be all over that PE LC200 Atlantic when it comes out!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I like the idea of this blade grind a lot.

Especially since, as Rusty Iron said, it’s in the traditional orientation for leftys, when doing tasks like slicing materials on a board, or carving and whittling wood.

I’d prefer it on a utility oriented knife like the Delica, rather than the Yo2.

Maybe an edge configuration to go alongside the high hollow ground ‘Afi’ Delica?

A Wharny UKPK or Urban in this edge grind also sounds good.

This thread made me remember I suggested an asymmetric chisel grind on the Sheepsfoot Enuff a few years ago!
Cambertree wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:01 pm
Idle thought: any interest in chisel ground kata-ha laminates? A sheepfoot Enuff in Superblue, with left and right handed versions, anyone?
foofie

Post by foofie »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:31 pm
There’s never been a UKPK Wharncliffe, only the orange G10 Urban...
Thanks for the correction. I have seen photos of the orange Sheepsfoot ukpk and the orange wharncliffe Urban, and kinda of combined them in my head.
I would still like a chance at a sheepsfoot ukpk though :D
And since this thread is about wharncliffe's, I wouldn't mind a UKPK wharncliffe, either.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:30 pm
Love wharncliffes! Probably my favorite blade shape.

Just for clarity, are you describing a grind similar to this?

(Picture from Miltner-Adams)
I think it would be more like a chisel grind, with one side being a high hollow and on the other half, instead of being completely vertical it will have the angle of an FFG blade.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd love a high performance wharncliffe but in the 3.5 to 4 inch length range. I've got a couple boxes of S30V and VG 10 knives already so using a high performing tool steel will open my wallet even faster. If not and it's stainless I still might. We'll see.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There is much confusion in the blade shapes wharncliffe, sheepsfoot, and the lambsfoot. To be a wharncliffe it has to have the fine, piercing tip.

The Seax of the Saxons and Anglo Saxons (misattributed to the Vikings) has a blade shape with the cutting edge longer than the spine, but not all had a straight cutting edge, some had a slight curve.

AG Russell has a nice blade shape guide here, https://agrussell.com/encyclopedia/blade-shapes which oddly leaves out his own excellent blade shape that he cboringly named General Purpose. It’s similar to the wharncliffe, but has some belly.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
fixall

Post by fixall »

Personally, I pictured something more like this when I read about the full-flat/hollow grind (I just curved one of the sides of an isosceles triangle).

Last edited by fixall on Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

fixall wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:20 pm
Personally, I pictured something more like this when I read about the full-flat/hollow grind (I just curved one of the sides of a isosceles triangle).

This is how I interpreted it as well.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi fixall,

Yes. That's the grind.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Will the hollow be on the presentation side or off side? As a rightie I would prefer the hollow on the off side.
benben

Post by benben »

CBA2E41F-2D78-4FD3-AF3C-BF73496EFC75.jpeg
My meager wharncliffe stable.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think I'm going to have to try a wharncliffe now - got to make up my mind between the rock jumper and the dragonfly!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.