Anyone tried this?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
BLUETYPEII

Re: Anyone tried this?

Post by BLUETYPEII »

vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:17 pm
Let us know what you think. Loc-tite hasn't been working that great for me, would like an alternative.
What kind of Loctite do you use vivi?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:59 am
Thanks for the info everyone. I suppose I’m going to go ahead and use the blue Loctite. If anyone else thinks this is a bad idea please chime in before I mess something up. :eek:
You'll be fine with that, BT. It's not rocket surgery. Cleanliness is kind of important, though. On small fasteners, sometimes it's helpful to use a toothpick to apply the Loctite to the threads. Keep in mind of what happens if you use to much. On the female threads, you'll be pushing Loctite down the hole. On male threads, excess Loctite can puddle up around the head of the fastener. The downside of all this is that you don't want excess going where you don't want it, specifically, into the pivot.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:01 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Thanks for the info everyone. I suppose I’m going to go ahead and use the blue Loctite. If anyone else thinks this is a bad idea please chime in before I mess something up. :eek:
You'll be fine with that, BT. It's not rocket surgery. Cleanliness is kind of important, though. On small fasteners, sometimes it's helpful to use a toothpick to apply the Loctite to the threads. Keep in mind of what happens if you use to much. On the female threads, you'll be pushing Loctite down the hole. On male threads, excess Loctite can puddle up around the head of the fastener. The downside of all this is that you don't want excess going where you don't want it, specifically, into the pivot.
You are exactly right about putting too much Loctite on the pivot. Whoever originally assembled my Spyderco Siren put a bit too much on and it was not allowing the blade to drop shut. Pulled the pivot screws out and they were slathered in it so I cleaned them up and put it back together and it was smooth as silk I’m just looking to make sure they don’t back out on their own and get lost.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
James Y

Post by James Y »

When I use Loctite, I only use a minimal amount, but enough to get into the threads of the screw. If I put a little too much on the screw, I touch it to a small bit of tissue paper to absorb away the extra Loctite before putting the screw back in.

Jim
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Working great so far, you have to leave it on the threads for about 20 minutes to kick before putting the screws back in but screws definitely secure now👍 Will update after a few weeks of carry.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Just don't use a lot. You really only need a small dab, and let it sit for about 24 hours after you adjust your pivot.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:51 am
Thanks Bloke.
You’re most welcome, Blue.

My attitude towards such things is; if you can hold something in place securely with a thumb tack, a four inch nail is most likely overkill. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Tell that to Edward Scissor Hands.....