What steel balances attributes best?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

What steel balances attributes best?

Post by Doc Dan »

What steel do you all feel balances ease of sharpening and edge retention?

I know there is always a trade off. I also know there are differences of opinion on this topic. I like steels that hold an edge all week till Sunday, but I do not always have time to sharpen them when they get dull. For me, VG-10, and perhaps S30V, seem to have the best balance in ease of sharpening and edge retention.

What do you all think?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kerrcobra

Re: What steel balances attributes best?

Post by kerrcobra »

Cruwear
--Jeremy
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

In my pretty limited personal experience VG10 is very well balanced indeed, cause it sharpens up so easily while holding an edge for a decent amount of time.
But lately in my use the BD1N on my Manix LW feels even a tad better in that regards.

When the focus is set on loooong edge retention, but still not too time consuming to touch up: REX45 is at least as good as I hoped it to be.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think LC200N is THE best all around EDC steel. I find that it grinds and sharpens easier than VG10 and takes a fantastic edge with minimal effort. Most people may not need all out rust proof steels but it does make for the lowest maintenance knife you could ask for. I don't have to worry about my knife as much as I do with other steels, it goes wherever I go and can handle cutting even things that I shouldn't be cutting.

There's something about steels like LC and H1 that I think a lot of people underestimate or just don't even consider, and that's the willingness to actually use your knife. It's easy to get caught up in the sprint craze and those steels are definitely fun, but I've also found myself somewhat reluctant to really use those knives the way I will a Caribbean or a Pacific. Being standard production and easy to replace is part of that but knowing that the knife won't rust and is tough enough to abuse gives me the peace of mind to really enjoy my knives more. I don't hesitate to get it out and get it filthy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

K390 and CTS204P both have extremely good edge retention while for me not being difficult to sharpen at all. I think they offer a better edge holding to ease of sharpening ratio than VG10, in fact.
:unicorn
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Stainless: LC200N and AEB-L

Non-Stainless: Cruwear
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

52100 is pretty good.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

M390 family of chemical compositions do well for me.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Interesting topic. I was expecting a vote for SPY27, has it not been out there long enough for folks to make a determination yet?
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I mean. Lc200n.

However it depends. 3V is probably better for outdoorsy “knife abuse” sort of uses because of it’s extreme toughness, 20cv is probably a better edc steel since you don’t need a whole lot of toughness in everyday use and the extra edge retention is nice.

Idk. It all depends on the user and the use. But Lc200n is a good candidate for sure.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:37 am
I think LC200N is THE best all around EDC steel. I find that it grinds and sharpens easier than VG10 and takes a fantastic edge with minimal effort. Most people may not need all out rust proof steels but it does make for the lowest maintenance knife you could ask for. I don't have to worry about my knife as much as I do with other steels, it goes wherever I go and can handle cutting even things that I shouldn't be cutting.

There's something about steels like LC and H1 that I think a lot of people underestimate or just don't even consider, and that's the willingness to actually use your knife. It's easy to get caught up in the sprint craze and those steels are definitely fun, but I've also found myself somewhat reluctant to really use those knives the way I will a Caribbean or a Pacific. Being standard production and easy to replace is part of that but knowing that the knife won't rust and is tough enough to abuse gives me the peace of mind to really enjoy my knives more. I don't hesitate to get it out and get it filthy.

Can´t wait to try out LC200N for the first time in the Pac Salt ffg SE! :)

/ But in this thread I figure Doc asked just for the best balance between ease of sharpening and edge retention, so I did not consider corrosion resistance at all (though: You basically say that LC200N would be a great steel even if it had "just" a vg10-ish corrosion resistance level, right?)

/ As for the "sprint craze": I only have three Sprint run models: Endura and Stretch in HAP 40, Manix 2 LW in REX 45. And both steels for me have great balance between edge retention and ease of sharpening! (Very long of the former, still quite easy to sharpen), and that´s why I kept and carry those knives all the time..

Sure, if corrosion resistance is a main concern, both of these steels are rather low on the list. But for me personally this is not an issue.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

There's a reason so many knives come in CPM S30V/S35VN. It's pretty good at everything.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

CPM-Cruwear. Tough, easy to sharpen, more than enough wear resistance, pretty close to being stainless, inexpensive relative to other super steels, made in 'merica.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:39 am
Snip

Yeah I didn't read it clearly. This will be a really subjective topic then, because ease of sharpening depends on a lot of factors.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:50 am
There's a reason so many knives come in CPM S30V/S35VN. It's pretty good at everything.
I was thinking the same thing. For two kinds of steel that have been out in the wild for some time now, S30V and S35VN are right in the middle of the heap when you consider all the different attributes someone might want in a steel. There are plenty of others that excel one way or another, but S30V and S35VN are pretty well rounded.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

K390 hands down. I still can't believe how easily it sharpens, considering the edge retention it provides.

If stainless is necessary, then M390/204P/20CV are the most balanced overall, but S90V takes the cake for me. It's about as stainless as S30V, but has exceptional edge retention and is surprisingly easy to sharpen. S90V sharpens more like a non-stainless steel, and with a high degree of sharpness.
James Y

Post by James Y »

For me, my favorites all-around are VG-10 and LC200N.

Jim
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am far from being experienced.. I like CTS XHP, 3V, and S30V the most and I have no problems sharpening S110V or Maxamet or Rex45 either. I also really like patina, so corrosion resistance is only important to me in specialized blades. It all depends on the intended use.

And I dislike D2 and S35VN. They are never easy to sharpen, but I have them in chinese folders..
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Another vote for Cruwear in the non-stainless category. Although hap40 is right up there, too, if a bit less corrosion resistant.

I think spy27 is really going to give s30v a run for its money in the well-balanced stainless category, though. It is extremely easy to sharpen, and seems to have comparable edge retention.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I would say K390 and VG-10 fit the bill.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara