Grail Acquired

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Grail Acquired

Post by vivi »

Always wanted one of these but missed out on the original release. This one is in immaculate shape. Excited to put it to use!
:unicorn
Wartstein

Re: Grail Acquired

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:17 am

Always wanted one of these but missed out on the original release. This one is in immaculate shape. Excited to put it to use!

Congrats! :) - I thought you were talking about the Manix XL in S90V when you gave as the hint, but this one seems to be the originally C95 Manix in S30V with a different scale color (than black) - ?! Was not aware of this variant...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Holland

Post by Holland »

very nice! congrats on the purchase
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Great score. I've said for a long time that this would be the model I would like resurrected for a "Throwback Flash Batch" or sprint run. I would want the version with the dino jimping though. 3V or Cruwear and OD Green Micarta would rock. Really hope it happens at some point.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Congrats!
jdw

Post by jdw »

That is really beautiful. I am pretty sure that I haven't seen one exactly like that before. Congrats on a great find!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Very nice, happy for you👍
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Very clean!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This is what the Manix should be.

Nice example.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Nice score. Congrats! :cool:

I wouldn’t have guessed that was your grail knife, though. ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nice Vivi, that thing looks mint!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Congratulations Vivi, I had one of those back in the day and they are absolute tanks! I agree wholeheartedly that the original backlock version deserves a sprint run in a newer steel they’re using these days. Props also to Steve and the rest of the crew at New Graham Knives for offering up such a treasure at a fair price, they’re pretty much the only vendor I buy from (probably because they host my CC number ;)). Enjoy it! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I've wondered why that particular sprint wasn't in D2 like the foliage green PM1.

It would be great to see a pre-2008 C95 backlock in something like Rex 45 or Cruwear with the dino jimping and everything.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Very nice. I love any backlock Manix and that one is particularly nice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anycal

Post by anycal »

That's a looker for sure. Didn't realize there was that version of the Manix. Wonder how you feel about the lack of jimping on the handle and the choil, compare to CBL Manix. I like it.

My favorite scale color.
Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:32 am
vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:17 am

Congrats! :) - I thought you were talking about the Manix XL in S90V when you gave as the hint, but this one seems to be the originally C95 Manix in S30V with a different scale color (than black) - ?! Was not aware of this variant...
Yep, they did a 600 piece run of these in 2008 according to spydiewiki. I believe at that time I owned and carried an S60V Military, G10 UKPK and G10 Byrd Cara Cara 1. I had not gotten into the C95 Manix until a year or two later, and by that time they were gone.

Over the years the only time I saw these pop up they were $300-400, but this one was reasonably enough priced I won't think twice about using it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

anycal wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:58 am
That's a looker for sure. Didn't realize there was that version of the Manix. Wonder how you feel about the lack of jimping on the handle and the choil, compare to CBL Manix. I like it.

My favorite scale color.
It was a small run that sold out quick.

I prefer the old style jimping to the current XL style quite a bit. I find the old C95 very secure in any grip. The handle jimping on the XL has always bothered me, but not to the point I can't appreciate the good changes made between generations.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85577 - There's a thread comparing a C95 to an XL. Might do another comparing sprint versions of each model.
vivi

Post by vivi »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:21 am
Congratulations Vivi, I had one of those back in the day and they are absolute tanks! I agree wholeheartedly that the original backlock version deserves a sprint run in a newer steel they’re using these days. Props also to Steve and the rest of the crew at New Graham Knives for offering up such a treasure at a fair price, they’re pretty much the only vendor I buy from (probably because they host my CC number ;)). Enjoy it! Cheers, Radioactive :)
They're always my first choice of retailers. I've been to their shop in person numerous times over the years and they're always incredibly friendly.
Accutron wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:19 am
I've wondered why that particular sprint wasn't in D2 like the foliage green PM1.

It would be great to see a pre-2008 C95 backlock in something like Rex 45 or Cruwear with the dino jimping and everything.

Not sure, CPMD2 was a really nice steel too. I carried a D2 Military for years and loved it.

The Manix XL M4 sprint sold out in something like 20 minutes. I think the market has spoken- full sized Manix folders in interesting steels will sell. Seeing the C95 or Manix XL run in 4V or Rex45 would certainly be special.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That's cool, Vivi. Now, what is the next grail? :p :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Man I love that foliage green G10. I wish it was used more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David