The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by The Deacon »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:13 am
When I bought the AR15 pistol and added the pistol brace in 2016, it was an ATF approved pistol.
Now, according to the ATF, as of this week I am the proud owner of an SBR (a Short Barreled Rifle)
which makes it the last gun I bought.

At the moment, it's more like owning something the ATF might rule to be an SBR. So far, they've only gone after the Honey Badger, not any of Q's other brace equipped AR platform pistols, not any brace equipped AR platform pistol offered by any other manufacturer. I strongly believe that, depending on how the election goes, this stupid decision will either be reversed and those responsible for it canned or, it will be the least of any gun owning American's worries.

As for yours, since you added the brace you could simply remove it till this nonsense gets sorted out. Unless the ATF has changed that rule too, neither a handgun with provision for mounting a shoulder stock or a shoulder stock for that handgun was considered an NFA item. They only became one if you attached the stock to the handgun.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
OrangeShoes

Post by OrangeShoes »

I havent bought any gun yet. Any decent recommendation?
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:13 am
Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:13 am
When I bought the AR15 pistol and added the pistol brace in 2016, it was an ATF approved pistol.
Now, according to the ATF, as of this week I am the proud owner of an SBR (a Short Barreled Rifle)
which makes it the last gun I bought.

At the moment, it's more like owning something the ATF might rule to be an SBR. So far, they've only gone after the Honey Badger, not any of Q's other brace equipped AR platform pistols, not any brace equipped AR platform pistol offered by any other manufacturer. I strongly believe that, depending on how the election goes, this stupid decision will either be reversed and those responsible for it canned or, it will be the least of any gun owning American's worries.

As for yours, since you added the brace you could simply remove it till this nonsense gets sorted out. Unless the ATF has changed that rule too, neither a handgun with provision for mounting a shoulder stock or a shoulder stock for that handgun was considered an NFA item. They only became one if you attached the stock to the handgun.
Your assessment is pretty much dead on according to my sources Deacon. An upper echelon ATF staffer made the blanket decision allegedly to see what kind off opposition blowback came of it. Seems like it ruffled more feathers than they expected and the actual worker bees there are even calling hypocritical...plus a few congress critters are now involved. It's an election year (LOL...and 2020) so chaos will be the order of the day.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

OrangeShoes wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 am
What do you want the firearm for...hunting?? personal defense?? home defense?? sport shooting?? a combination of these??

Let us know and then the folks can make recommendations.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:57 am
OrangeShoes wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 am
What do you want the firearm for...hunting?? personal defense?? home defense?? sport shooting?? a combination of these??

Let us know and then the folks can make recommendations.

Might help to know what state you live in as well, some things are not legal in some of the "blue" states, some are just more hassle than others to purchase there.
Paul
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I didn't actually buy it but a friend just sent me a LNIB Anschutz 22 rifle. Should be an excellent shooter
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

ATF quizzlers give Honey Badger pistol a reprieve for 60 days.
Length of pull exceeding 13.5 inches by a sixteenth of an inch may be the issue.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/hone ... ification/
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

If you look close, you can see the fall foliage reflected in the model 27-2
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Latest addition to the toy box. It's a Kel-Tec CP33 that I bought last week on GunBroker from a dealer in another state and picked up a my local's shop yesterday. .22LR, 33 round magazine :eek: :D , a threaded barrel, and the best factory sights of any handgun I own.

Paul
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:30 am
Latest addition to the toy box. It's a Kel-Tec CP33 that I bought last week on GunBroker from a dealer in another state and picked up a my local's shop yesterday. .22LR, 33 round magazine :eek: :D , a threaded barrel, and the best factory sights of any handgun I own.

That looks like a lot of fun!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I've never saw the beat on Gun and Ammo availability.
My goodness.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

So, I was finally able to get some original stocks for my model 19-3 (1977) and, it feels very nice in hand now!
I mean, it was just fine with the rubber grips, but these original stocks are awesome!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 am
So, I was finally able to get some original stocks for my model 19-3 (1977) and, it feels very nice in hand now!
I mean, it was just fine with the rubber grips, but these original stocks are awesome!
So cool👌
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

M Sea wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:37 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 am
So cool👌
Thank you.
Yeah, I just really prefer the natural look as well.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

On a side note, here in Texas some gun shows have been canceled due to Covid 19. But a couple of hours away is the Premier gun show in Mesquite this weekend which is in full swing. I considered taking one of my "insurance policies" to sell at the show, an AR-15 pistol. In the run up to the election, supply is down and demand is up and I figured I could make a few hundred bucks on it.

For three reasons, I decided not to go. First, how foolish would it be after months of living as a recluse to attend a superspreader event. Secondly, I have a new dog that gets carsick and I don't want to leave her behind that long. Finally, after the election it may be worth a lot more, a double or nothing proposition, and I could sell it online which would be easier on me and Ginger.

Stay well my friends.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:59 am
On a side note, here in Texas some gun shows have been canceled due to Covid 19. But a couple of hours away is the Premier gun show in Mesquite this weekend which is in full swing. I considered taking one of my "insurance policies" to sell at the show, an AR-15 pistol. In the run up to the election, supply is down and demand is up and I figured I could make a few hundred bucks on it.

For three reasons, I decided not to go. First, how foolish would it be after months of living as a recluse to attend a superspreader event. Secondly, I have a new dog that gets carsick and I don't want to leave her behind that long. Finally, after the election it may be worth a lot more, a double or nothing proposition, and I could sell it online which would be easier on me and Ginger.

Stay well my friends.
Good choice!
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

I've been looking at a SS Ruger Single Six lately... it's been about 4 years since my last purchase; the 5" GP-100 gets fed regularly.

About the only thing I've done to it is switch out that front sight with a fiber optic which I can see much better.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

toxophilus wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:39 am
I've been looking at a SS Ruger Single Six lately... it's been about 4 years since my last purchase; the 5" GP-100 gets fed regularly.

About the only thing I've done to it is switch out that front sight with a fiber optic which I can see much better.

Nice rig too. Diamond D?
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:15 pm
toxophilus wrote:

Nice rig too. Diamond D?
That would be correct, I usually carry this during the Archery season here in Colorado, gotta hit those dusky grouse just right to avoid too much damage + it beats chasing an arrow down the mountain side if I blow right through them (or pin them with an arrow in the tree) ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

toxophilus wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:31 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:15 pm
toxophilus wrote:

Nice rig too. Diamond D?
That would be correct, I usually carry this during the Archery season here in Colorado, gotta hit those dusky grouse just right to avoid too much damage + it beats chasing an arrow down the mountain side if I blow right through them (or pin them with an arrow in the tree) ;)
Haha! No doubt man. No doubt.
My Diamond D holster just came in today for my 629 PC Competitor. I really like it. And, Diamond D is the only place I know of that actually makes a holster just for the Competitor (.44 Magnum)