Spyderco’s best kept secret

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Spyderco’s best kept secret

Post by sal »

Hi David,

I do a lot of opening a closing over the period to break it in as much as I can. Breaking up boxes is something I end up doing every day. Food prep on cutting boards and cutting food on a plate. Cutting wood / whittling. I don't do torture testing, that's not the purpose. I watch for hot spots or to notice anything that could be a potential problem. I like to use the test piece enough to sharpen it a few times and watch the edge closely under a loupe. If I'm testing a new steel, I like to pay attention to edge retention, watch for chips or roll. While I don't leave it wet, I do watch for corrosion resistance, especially on carbon steel.

I also go back to the same knife periodically. I also pay attention to comments on this very informative forum.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Carrot,

No decisions yet, just discussion, but if we do, I don't think I want to anodize it.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

wrong thread, sorry.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

wrong thread. sorry.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:10 pm
Sal, I remember years ago that you said you carried a Manbug nearly every day? Is that still true? Has the new wharncliffe model booted your old one out of your pocket? Was the old one a G10 or FRN?
They used to talk about.. what was it, a Mosquito ground Ladybug?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86899
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Donut,

I will often carry a small model along with a larger model. For those times wen small blade is the better choice for a variety of reasons, which I am sure you understand. Now we have many small knives so I will change them out.

sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 am
Hi Donut,

I will often carry a small model along with a larger model. For those times wen small blade is the better choice for a variety of reasons, which I am sure you understand. Now we have many small knives so I will change them out.

sal
But what fixed blade do you reach for most? Inquiring minds want to know.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

This makes me think we need an AMA with Sal...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi VashHash,

The following knives are on my table in my office. When I go out on the property, I will usually grab one of them.

Temperance 2, Jumpmaster 2, Proficient, Enuff.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The JM2 looks like a perfect truck knife. One of these days I'm going to break down and get one.

What I REALLY want to see is a Rock Salt 2 in LC200N. Make it heavier at the tip and maybe a bit bigger. The ultimate mini machete.

That would be SWEEET! :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I finally got the Jumpmaster 2 and it is a top choice when a fixed blade is appropriate, such as mountain bike rides and sometimes hikes. I am fond of it, but good golly, what an aggressive blade, it commands respect and care.

My Manix XL is my truck knife and/or a really big fixed blade from Ontario Knife company in a carbon steel.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:54 am
Hi VashHash,

The following knives are on my table in my office. When I go out on the property, I will usually grab one of them.

Temperance 2, Jumpmaster 2, Proficient, Enuff.

sal
I had a feeling the temp 2 would be in the rotation. I still enjoy the original temperance. Works well for a lot of task and I like it in the kitchen because I can wash the whole thing without worrying.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:17 pm
The JM2 looks like a perfect truck knife. One of these days I'm going to break down and get one.

What I REALLY want to see is a Rock Salt 2 in LC200N. Make it heavier at the tip and maybe a bit bigger. The ultimate mini machete.

Been hoping for this as well...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:36 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:17 pm

Been hoping for this as well...
We can dream, right?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With the great news of the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run becoming a reality soon I'm willing to bet that model will become an EDC for a lot of people.

I still say after all these years and all these models I still maintain that the one model that to me is the "perfect" EDC folder is the "ROOKIE" model. It was perfect in size, blade length and overall ergonomics.

For a small folder and if I were restricted to shorter blades I think that the Caly Jr. might be the best kept secret.