C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:30 am
the good news - I found a SE Ayoob for sale

the bad news - Its over $400
I bet that price is going to come downward when this new Sprint Run hits the market :rolleyes: But you might be surprised because there are a lot of newbies out there paying big dollars for some of the older models. Because there are a lot of people that aren't aware of what we've been doing here on this thread. And they have no idea.

Heck I wouldn't even pay that NIB.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:37 am
vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:30 am
the good news - I found a SE Ayoob for sale

the bad news - Its over $400

And that is why, regardless of edge type, this sprint is going to sell out in a hurry even if the entire production run is SE.
And David that is the reason I'm going to stick to my 30% SE and 70% PE. Sure it was a wild guess off the top of my head but I have no doubt at all that the 30% of the SE units will fly right out. I'm willing to bet depending on how many they make on this initial Sprint Run that they will all be gone within two months or less.

Because what a lot of people don't realize is that there are a lot of collectors out there with that C-60 Ayoob on their list. Not to mention all the guys that want one or two of them for "users".

But that price of $400 that one guy is asking is probably going down to at least half of that when this new run hits the market.
I guess it's going to depend on what the price is going to be for these new ones.

I'm going to stick to 30% SE and 70% PE>>> if anything I might go up to 35% SE if I made any changes. Tell me if you guys disagree?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Like I said, I'm usually pretty fair with buying sprints and I've never hoarded knives, but y'all have one month and if the SE aren't sold out by then I'm buying them up. Consider yourselves warned lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:55 am
I'm going to stick to 30% SE and 70% PE>>> if anything I might go up to 35% SE if I made any changes. Tell me if you guys disagree?
I think the SE will be popular with forum people. I've seen a few replies indicating so, and I know I plan to buy a SE if I can get one. Initially I was surprised you weighted heavily toward PE, but after consideration, I'd guess PE will be more popular with non-forum people which is the majority of people.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

I'm thinking 60/40?

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

30% SE and 70% PE? That sounds like a typical Combo Edge.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:00 pm
Hi JD,

I'm thinking 60/40?

sal
Well Mr. Glesser you got better insight and access to more accurate numbers than I got access to. Those recommendations of mine were strictly based on my own gut feelings based on the feedback from fellow forum members. But it is nice to know that I wasn't too far off :) And with the popularity of SE blades that seem to be on the rise even with those numbers I can't imagine either edge type not selling out.

I do remember in the past that there were certain models you guys ended up having some left over SE versions of different models and I just don't want that to happen to the company again if we can help it >> I want this Sprint Run to be a super success for Spyderco. I've talked to at least 6 guys off the forum that say they plan on getting one of each. However we all know that PE does ultimately sell better than SE in most cases. 60% PE and 40% SE sounds good to me :)

I predict that this Sprint Run will sell out within two months of it's release. But we'll see
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Donut wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:43 pm
I believe they are talking about percentage of the run being SE, not the blades themselves.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Yeah I should have been more detailed in my explanation :o No my recommendation to Mr. Glesser was to produce 30% of the units in full SE and 70% of the units in PE. I thought those numbers would be ideal to hopefully insure that all of the Sprint Run will sell out rather than having Spyderco be stuck with several left over, unsold models. However Mr. Glesser suggested 40% in SE and 60% in PE. And he's got more insight than I do for sure.

Nope I really don't think making a C-60 Ayoob model in combo edge is a good idea >> at least at this time anyway.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:33 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:55 am
I think the SE will be popular with forum people. I've seen a few replies indicating so, and I know I plan to buy a SE if I can get one. Initially I was surprised you weighted heavily toward PE, but after consideration, I'd guess PE will be more popular with non-forum people which is the majority of people.
Oh you are not alone. I'm seeing full SE blades getting more and more popular. And this C-60 Ayoob model has been known for years to be a great blade in full SE>> and a great PE blade too for that matter.

Even with Mr. Glesser's proposal of 40% Full SE and 60% PE I do believe within two months of it's release there won't be any left. That's my gut feeling anyway. And that would be tremendous sales results with all of this COVID-19 problems we are currently experiencing. But I think in spite of all of that it can still happen because I believe that C-60 Ayoob model has that big of a fan base.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I think this would be OK in the kitchen due to the negative angle, Joyce knows something when she said she learned how to cook with this knife.

Otherwise a tactical knife/fighter doesn't make much sense in a country where civilians alone account for 393 million firearms.

And in the Neo-communist Union of European states you are not allowed to carry, you have to be a potentially good victim and the killers have their human rights very carefully respected.

On this project, is it too much to ask to keep the Boye dent as in the previous iteration, I noticed Spyderco kinda moved away from these.

Being tactical, a black clip would be nicer that the shinny one you guys dump on most of the folders.

Also if you don't mess the clip/lanyard hole placement would be nice.

VG-10 is perfectly fine for me.

If you noticed I kinda think the previous sprint was done right, if ain't broke don't fix it, so please don't improve it too much...

And if wouldn't cost 300EUR in EU that would be even nicer.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:21 am
Donut wrote:
I believe they are talking about percentage of the run being SE, not the blades themselves.
OK I just put up a POLL for everyone on the "Spyderco General Discussion" section about this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. And please VOTE!! Because Spyderco and Sal need the information to gage just how many SE versus PE units they'll need to make as well as for vital marketing information.

Even if all you guys do on that POLL thread is to VOTE that's OK. But it would be helpful if you were to tell us why you VOTED the way you did. Thanks guys for all the help :)
Neatknife

Post by Neatknife »

I voted SE, but will pick up a PE as well.
Monty

Post by Monty »

If I might make one plea, for tip up carry please position the clip as close to the end as possible. I love how close the clip is positioned near the end for tip down carry.
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

Just voted.
Andrew
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Neatknife,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

IN the first 10 hours of the POLL we have 15 votes for SE and only 3 votes for PE. I can't hardly believe that the serrated unit is leading by a 5 to 1 margin. I think it's safe to say that serrated blades are gaining in popularity and overall acceptance as well.

Or could it be that they just want SE for this specific model? Because a lot of people in the past have bragged on the C-60 in SE. That wasn't the case at all when the 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60 took place :confused:
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:06 pm
IN the first 10 hours of the POLL we have 15 votes for SE and only 3 votes for PE. I can't hardly believe that the serrated unit is leading by a 5 to 1 margin. I think it's safe to say that serrated blades are gaining in popularity and overall acceptance as well.

Or could it be that they just want SE for this specific model? Because a lot of people in the past have bragged on the C-60 in SE. That wasn't the case at all when the 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60 took place :confused:
Joe.

For me personally, the C-60’s shape simply screams for SE, due to the blade-to-handle angle and the continuous curve of the blade.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:38 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:06 pm

Joe.

For me personally, the C-60’s shape simply screams for SE, due to the blade-to-handle angle and the continuous curve of the blade.

Jim
And Jim that is great!! if that's what works for you. I'm just blown away at how the market has done a complete "Turn Around" concerning the demand for the C-60 to be made available in SE. This might just ignite many other models to be in demand for the Spyderedged versions of even more models.

I think maybe the next SE Sprint I'm going to be screaming for will be the C-54 big Calypso model. and by the way it is a full flat grind too>> I'm sure David will be interested in that one.

Myself I'm going to have plenty of uses for the PE & SE models both. And I'll be getting both. And I'm sure there are a lot of guys that are going to end up getting both when they see how ergonomic this C-60 model is.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I think it is pent up demand since the last sprint was PE only.
Last edited by JRinFL on Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001