Poll: C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run SE or PE %s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Poll For SE & PE Percentages On Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob Model?

C-60 Ayoob Full Spyderedge?
65%
C-60 Ayoob Full Plain Edge?
35%

Total votes: 93

JD Spydo

Poll: C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run SE or PE %s

Post by JD Spydo »

Well as most of you are aware we have a big Green Light on the Sprint Run for the C-60 Ayoob model. That is truly glorious news to us who have loved that model for years. And the folks at Spyderco have informed me that we can have so many in the Sprint Run for full Spyderedge>> and we can have so many units for plain edge for the entire Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob model.

I know this poll is only going to reflect on what we here at Spyderville would like for that model. But it will help the folks at Spyderco decide just how many of each they are going to need to make and it will be very valuable marketing information for them too. And I do believe this poll can help to assure all of the people interested in this Sprint Run that there will be plenty of their preferred edge type available.

So all the feedback we can give them the better.
James Y

Re: Poll: C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run SE or PE %s

Post by James Y »

Full SE for me.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You already know :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I voted SE.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:08 am
You already know :D
Oh I do know for sure that there are about 6 of you here that have told me you want the SE version. And that's cool because I actually want both of them myself.

But guys be sure to VOTE regardless because the information will be helpful to Spyderco. Let's try to help them with this project so they can be armed with pertinent information.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SE just makes sense for this model in my opinion.
:unicorn
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I think it’s worth noting that while the voting majority of this forum is likely in favor of se. most general users prefer pe.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

SE first, depending on G10 color I might pick up a PE as well.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Haha. Basically, whatever the results of this poll are, do the opposite.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:23 pm
I think it’s worth noting that while the voting majority of this forum is likely in favor of se. most general users prefer pe.
That's a great point and I'm glad you brought that up "AF" :) But Sal wanted me to do the POLL and to also help him gather all the pertinent information we can get. That way they'll have a better idea of what percentage of PE vs SE would be ideal.

However if some of these older Forum members come out of the woodwork you will see that we do have quite a few guys over the years that were also jaded on the PE units as well.

But for sure when they get the Sprint Run going they are obviously going to ultimately sell more PE units than they are with SE. There are not many exceptions to that rule over the years. But without a doubt there has been a significant spike in the sales of Spyderedged blades in the past 3 years especially. Thanks for the input :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:28 pm
SE first, depending on G10 color I might pick up a PE as well.
Oh I think many more people are going to get both the PE & SE. Because when most of the newer guys see how good this blade design is they will ultimately want both the PE & SE. Again it's one of the rare Spyderco models I've had over the years that I like just as much in SE as I do in PE. And there are not very many Spyderco folders I can say that about. But that's just how special this design is.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I am one of the few, the proud, the plain-edge enthusiasts. Those edges are just more my speed. For whatever reason, I'm just not interested in trying an SE knife (though plenty of you make great points why I should).

Given the results so far, the SE Ayoob is truly a "forum" knife.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Someone who isn't going to get one, vote serrated, because I'm getting two. 😉
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:37 pm
I am one of the few, the proud, the plain-edge enthusiasts. Those edges are just more my speed. For whatever reason, I'm just not interested in trying an SE knife (though plenty of you make great points why I should).

Given the results so far, the SE Ayoob is truly a "forum" knife.
Well if you ever do cave in and want to give a Spyderedged model a fair trial>> then by all means do it with a C-60 Ayoob. Because when it comes to serrated blades the C-60 Ayoob is in a league all it's own.

But for right now there ain't nothing at all wrong with having a preference for PE blades.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Abyss_Fish wrote:

It's probably also worth noting that (while you're definitely right) a sprint is only ~1200 pieces, and it's quite possible that most of that will be bought by forum members (and members of other forums) and/or at least knife AFI's as opposed to Johnny Knifebuyer who's just looking for something to cut drywall with. If this were going back into full production for long term I think their business strategy would look a little different.
~David
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

I voted se as I don’t have any serrated blades. But in all honesty I would be happy to get whichever I could as I have been looking for one ,but the prices have been horrendous.
Andrew
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:06 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:

It's probably also worth noting that (while you're definitely right) a sprint is only ~1200 pieces, and it's quite possible that most of that will be bought by forum members (and members of other forums) and/or at least knife AFI's as opposed to Johnny Knifebuyer who's just looking for something to cut drywall with. If this were going back into full production for long term I think their business strategy would look a little different.
That's my next goal: To get the C-60 Ayoob model back into the main line up again. Except to have a spiced up version with a supsersteel blade and maybe a Carbon Fiber handle for starters. and they can also have a "Salt" version as well with LC200N in SE & PE.

I do believe that this Sprint Run will prompt this model to have a resurgence in popularity.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is most interesting. After the first 10 hours of this poll there are 15 for SE and 3 for PE>> I can't hardly believe that the serrated version is leading by a 5 to 1 margin. That's just mindblowing considering how unpopular serrated blades were when the 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60 emerged.

Again there is a lot more love for the serrated version than I thought there would be. But this is really encouraging and I hope Mr. Glesser and the Spyderco Company thinks so as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:57 pm
This is most interesting. After the first 10 hours of this poll there are 15 for SE and 3 for PE>> I can't hardly believe that the serrated version is leading by a 5 to 1 margin. That's just mindblowing considering how unpopular serrated blades were when the 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60 emerged.

Again there is a lot more love for the serrated version than I thought there would be. But this is really encouraging and I hope Mr. Glesser and the Spyderco Company thinks so as well.

I think that video with Joyce talking about hers should be a real eye opener to people, especially to SE naysayers. It's not often a person carries any one knife as long as she has especially with that knife being SE. I'm sure working at Spyderco she has other knives too and the fact that she has access to literally anything they've made in the last 20 years since she got her Ayoob is probably the best testament to the model you can ask for.
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Fully serrated for me! I may get both.....but if I only buy one it’ll be serrated! I think Sal should give us members the first shot on this purchase so we don’t possibly miss out on this guaranteed sell out!