VIDEOS: 6 ways of closing a CBBL one handed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

VIDEOS: 6 ways of closing a CBBL one handed

Post by Wartstein »

Since I promised to do this in another thread:

Below some vids showing 6 ways of closing a CBBL one handed.
- In the first and the last the lock is released with thumb AND index finger, the others require releasing the lock tab just with the thumb (some find that difficult to do)
- I called the methods: 1.Drop onto the middle finger 2. drop onto the index finger 3. reverse Spydieflick 4. guide to closed 5. tap to closed 6. "regular" :)

1.) https://streamable.com/ar7okf

2.) https://streamable.com/f9gm4s

3.) https://streamable.com/tep9bx

4.) https://streamable.com/79jhhr

5.) https://streamable.com/yvpuf7

6.) https://streamable.com/msetaz
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
M Sea

Re: VIDEOS: 6 ways of closing a CBBL one handed

Post by M Sea »

Thanks for this, sometimes I have issues getting my Manixes to close one handed. A big compression lock fan overall because of that but hopefully the video's help.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

M Sea wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:43 am
Thanks for this, sometimes I have issues getting my Manixes to close one handed. A big compression lock fan overall because of that but hopefully the video's help.

Actually in my experience the CBBL (and the backlock) are more versatile (and both safer for the fingers) than the comp. lock concerning one handed closing. So with just a bit of use/practice there are more (and imho easier/less awkward) ways to do so than with a comp. lock (or better: Some of the basically same methods are more awkward and less safe when done with a comp.lock)

Why?
- With CBBL and backlock (due to the springs) the blade gets not "floppy" when partly closed, but stays in place over a long range of the closing motion without having to be stabilized with a finger
- And towards the very END of the closing process it snaps in place so one can remove all fingers out of the way, give the blade just a little tab and it will securely snap into the handle
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
PStone

Post by PStone »

#3 The Wartstein flip. I learned that from you regarding backlocks! Definitely the coolest way of the 6 :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I must be boring, I'm #6 every time haha. My fingers aren't the longest so it takes some fiddling and more adjustments to get my finger into the Spydie hole to close it other ways. Definitely the fastest, most natural way for me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Most of the time, I close it with #6 or some variation of it. I've also swiped the back of the blade against my pants to close it and put it in the pocket. I've tried some of the other ways but #6 is quick and what I'm used to.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:17 am
I must be boring, I'm #6 every time haha. My fingers aren't the longest so it takes some fiddling and more adjustments to get my finger into the Spydie hole to close it other ways. Definitely the fastest, most natural way for me.

Not boring, just clever. ;)

Actually always using just one method reliably is more than enough and probably even the best approach.
And I am 100% sure you are perfect with "Nr 6", given how much experience you have with the Manix model (I guess like 50 times more than I have..;))

Anyway, when starting from a natural grip I´d use when actually cutting something (did not do that most times in the vids), for me personally "Nr 6" (though certainly the most common method) is not the fastest, Nr 2 for example works better for me (releasing the lock with the thumb, blade drop on the index finger, then fully close the blade) - very little repositioning at the beginning of the closing, and then it is just like closing a backlock to what I happen to be very used to.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:29 am
Most of the time, I close it with #6 or some variation of it. I've also swiped the back of the blade against my pants to close it and put it in the pocket. I've tried some of the other ways but #6 is quick and what I'm used to.

As said in my post above: Nr 6 is the most common and a very good method (and keeps the fingers out of the blade path).

That being said: Other methods might be easier and faster for people who are very much used to a backlock.

And: If the goal is to "evaluate" a method concerning the "real life practicality", one should always start with the knife held in a realistic cutting position. If doing so, method 5 requires a lot of repositioning of the hand at the start of the closing (while other methods require that ,more towards the end of the closing)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I have a pretty hard time using a cbbl with just my thumb, so it's #1 or #6 for me. And definitely the "regular" #6 way feels more natural to me. That's why I like a relatively free-swinging blade on a Manix.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:32 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Not boring, just clever. ;)

Actually always using just one method reliably is more than enough and probably even the best approach.
And I am 100% sure you are perfect with "Nr 6", given how much experience you have with the Manix model (I guess like 50 times more than I have..;))

Anyway, when starting from a natural grip I´d use when actually cutting something (did not do that most times in the vids), for me personally "Nr 6" (though certainly the most common method) is not the fastest, Nr 2 for example works better for me (releasing the lock with the thumb, blade drop on the index finger, then fully close the blade) - very little repositioning at the beginning of the closing, and then it is just like closing a backlock to what I happen to be very used to.
I just so happen to be carrying one today and watched all your videos and tried them all haha. I have to agree, #2 would be the second best method for me. Exactly how I handle a backlock as well, so it's a pretty natural feeling. I just like the quickness of the snap of #6 I think, since I can't do that with a backlock.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

6 is the only way I roll. The others seem to complicated! Flick it open, flick it closed.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:38 am
I have a pretty hard time using a cbbl with just my thumb, so it's #1 or #6 for me. And definitely the "regular" #6 way feels more natural to me. That's why I like a relatively free-swinging blade on a Manix.

You mean "free swinging" when the blade is partly closed and the lock is released, right?

Cause for me one of the good things of the CBBL is exactly, that when the blade is partly closed, but then you put the fingers away from the lock (so it engages partly again), the blade stays in place where it is and does not get "floppy"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:41 am
6 is the only way I roll. The others seem to complicated! Flick it open, flick it closed.

Well, again, when coming from a backlock things might be different. I do like Nr 6, but for me it is as complicated as the other methods. As said, just because when starting from a natural grip for cutting, a lot of also "complicated" repositioning of the knife in hand is required at the beginning of method 6 (While for example method 2, "drop on the index finger", requires almost no repositioning in the beginning, but instead later on - so in summary probably as much as method 6 - ?)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:49 am
prndltech wrote:

Well, again, when coming from a backlock things might be different. I do like Nr 6, but for me it is as complicated as the other methods. As said, just because when starting from a natural grip for cutting, a lot of also "complicated" repositioning of the knife in hand is required at the beginning of method 6 (While for example method 2, "drop on the index finger", requires almost no repositioning in the beginning, but instead later on - so in summary probably as much as method 6 - ?)
All I carry is back locks... I own one Manix LW in bd1n and It doesn’t seem much pocket time. I think that’s how I got used to the axis lock back in the day so it’s second nature to activate that lock that way for me.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:32 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I just so happen to be carrying one today and watched all your videos and tried them all haha. I have to agree, #2 would be the second best method for me. Exactly how I handle a backlock as well, so it's a pretty natural feeling. I just like the quickness of the snap of #6 I think, since I can't do that with a backlock.

I am glad if at least you had some fun while trying! :)

Tbh, I figure (and that does not speak for me... :o ) perhaps the more one seriously uses his knives and the less time one has to just play with them, the more one will stick with just one reliable method... ;)

/ Btw, I think the equivalent to comp. lock method 6 (https://streamable.com/msetaz) might be this (https://streamable.com/j7fjd) with a backlock. Both keep the fingers out of the blade path all the time, but while with a CBBL it is certainly the most common way of closing, with a backlock it is just the opposite...
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

However I am debating snagging a Rex 45 Manix LW so that may change soon :o
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm #6 everytime. No need for me to change what works well so well for me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

#6 is the way I operate a Manix, but I don't think it's anywhere near as nice as the PM2 (although I carry a RH PM2 left-handed and my closing method is different/better compared the standard RH-RH close).

Here's how I operate a PM2...

https://youtu.be/vXaIszSQQTA
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:55 am
:p
Since I watch several big US cable networks quite frequently on youtube I already knew:
Mayor Giuliani is certainly always good for some interesting facial expressions... ;) (to be clear, especially on this luckily politics-free forum: Not meant "political" of course by any means)