Touching up serrations on the go?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Touching up serrations on the go?

Post by carrot »

Normally when I travel I throw a stone in my bag like the Fallkniven DC4 or the little DMT Diafold.

This has worked out in the past, but I'm even more than ever interested in taking serrations with me over plain edge.

What do you guys use to touch up serrations on the go? Think pocket-sized, rather than bag-sized, since the Sharpmaker does of course fit in the back of a trunk or something easily.
Wartstein

Re: Touching up serrations on the go?

Post by Wartstein »

Perhaps just one single sharpmaker rod? It is pretty easy to find the right angle with serrations on the rod since they somehow "click in place"...

Or: The edges of your DC4 would not work for a quick touch up (just a guess, I don´t have one!)?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

What are the odds? I just asked a very similar question! Well now we are bound to get good answers :p
/ David
vivi

Post by vivi »

carrot wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:44 pm
Normally when I travel I throw a stone in my bag like the Fallkniven DC4 or the little DMT Diafold.

This has worked out in the past, but I'm even more than ever interested in taking serrations with me over plain edge.

What do you guys use to touch up serrations on the go? Think pocket-sized, rather than bag-sized, since the Sharpmaker does of course fit in the back of a trunk or something easily.
Order a single medium sharpmaker rod, they're only $11 and come with a carry tube.

Break it in half if you need something smaller.

Alternatively fold up a sheet of sandpaper and carry it in your wallet. Wrap it around the corner of a desk or anything with a hard angle and there you go.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

one of the advantages of serrations are the fact that they dull much slower than plain edges. unless you're cutting through sand, odds are good that your serrated edge will hold up until you're back home.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
carrot

Post by carrot »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:09 pm
one of the advantages of serrations are the fact that they dull much slower than plain edges. unless you're cutting through sand, odds are good that your serrated edge will hold up until you're back home.
Agreed, and to be fair, I went on a months long road trip with three knives and didn't manage to dull any of them.

However, when I am home, if a knife doesn't feel "sharp enough" even after stropping I put it in a drawer and then move onto the next sharp knife, until the day comes I bring out all my sharpening gear and restore everything.

It would be quite frustrating to be faced with a knife that isn't "sharp enough" and no way to touch things up!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Gatco makes a Tri-seps sharpener that fits on a keychain, there are numerous pen style sharpeners, as well as the corner of the Spyderco Double Stuff. The folded sand paper is the least expensive option and easily found.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Left out the Worksharp EDC sharpener which I used to cleanup the edge of an old Ladybug I bought.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

carrot wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:44 pm

It's threads like this one that make me want to lobby Spyderco for them to bring back the Spyderco 701 Profiles. The set of them that you could get had a fine and a medium stone. For a nice kit that you can travel with the 701 Profiles are great for serrated edges.

I've not yet got one of the Spyderco DOUBLESTUFF 2 stones but I've also heard good stuff about them being great portable sharpening stones.

Also there is talk about Spyderco expanding the grit selections of their GOLDENSTONE. Right now it's only available in fine. But if and when they do offer the GOLDENSTONE in more grit selections I'll be first in line to get more of those. The GOLDENSTONE is an extremely versatile sharpening tool and I've had great results using and experimenting with mine. I do hope at some point they will come out with a video on those.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have the little Lansky Spyder Sharpener, which matches the SE serration shapes.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:04 pm
I have the little Lansky Spyder Sharpener, which matches the SE serration shapes.

It didn't work for me... almost ruined the scallops on my old SE Salt1. I just take one white fine SM rod with me when I live home for more than a week. It never failed me.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
PStone

Post by PStone »

Do like Vivi says and just get a medium Sharpmaker Rod. Then break it in half. Two for the price of one.

Sal has said in the past that the corners of the triangle cbn rods wear too quickly and shouldn’t be used. So I would think the same applies to the doublestuff2. Perhaps using the corners of a ceramic doublestuff1 would be a good idea too.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’ve honestly never had to touch up a pocket knife when being gone on vacation or out of town for an event. Now hunting, or something where I know I’ll be working is another story, but then more tools are being taken.

Whenever I leave, I have a backpack and a single sharpmaker rod wouldn’t take up much space in the backpack. I pack light for everything. I’ll be going on a trip for 2-3 days this weekend, and next week I’ll be on a 16 hour road trip over the course of a few days, taking the SE endela for both and I bet I won’t ever need to sharpen it while I’m gone.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:28 pm
I’ve honestly never had to touch up a pocket knife when being gone on vacation or out of town for an event. Now hunting, or something where I know I’ll be working is another story, but then more tools are being taken.

Whenever I leave, I have a backpack and a single sharpmaker rod wouldn’t take up much space in the backpack. I pack light for everything. I’ll be going on a trip for 2-3 days this weekend, and next week I’ll be on a 16 hour road trip over the course of a few days, taking the SE endela for both and I bet I won’t ever need to sharpen it while I’m gone.
I'd have to second this. Even dayswhen I'm blazing fresh trails in local woods, I don't need to sharpen my machete mid job, and chopping foliage with a 1085 blade in the mid 50's RC is going to show dulling faster than a 60rc pocket knife that opens packages and whatnot.

I have a DMT folding sharpener and other pocket gear, but I find, for me, I'm better off waiting until I get home.

My work EDC SE Pacific Salt 2 gets touched up maybe once or twice a month. When I touch it up guess what I use? A single medium sharpmaker rods held between my thumb and middle finger in my left hand. Gets it sharp real quick using a slightly more obtuse angle than the entire bevel, creating a microbevel.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have yet to dull them so much in a single day that it was an issue, but I did carry the Goldenstone in my bag for a while. If I ever manage to break a Sharpmaker rod I'll hang onto the biggest piece for this reason.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

So in the spirit of answering this, I dug out my DC4 and my Byrd Hawkbill. My Hawkbill isn't dull but gave it a try anyway. Figured that's in part why I got the Byrd was experimenting. Took a sharpie to the serrations and then tilted the DC4's ceramic to approximate the 40 degree sharpening angle and was able to remove most of the sharpie using the corner of the DC4. So I would say you can make do in a pinch with this. It seems very course though. I've done the same thing with the DoubleStuff 1, btw. Not as good as the SM, but again if in a bind, could at least improve a dull edge. Hope this helps.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi carrot.

I bring a Goldenstone when I travel.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:23 pm
when I travel.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:49 pm
sal wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:23 pm
when I travel.
Nice one, Bloke! LOLed a bit.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10