Need help nailing down PM1 PE DLC drop date

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Accutron

Need help nailing down PM1 PE DLC drop date

Post by Accutron »

Spydiewiki just says 2005 for the drop date, but forum searches suggest it may have been released in December 2004 or earlier. The first mention of an existent plain edge DLC PM1 that I could find was 2005-01-04, where somebody was contemplating between getting satin or the "new black". On 2005-01-05, Sal replies to a different member in a different thread that the PM1 is already available with a DLC blade. Can anybody confirm what year/month this model started dropping?
pantagana23

Re: Need help nailing down PM1 PE DLC drop date

Post by pantagana23 »

Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Do you place no value on there being an accurate record of Spyderco's production history?

I believe the date on Spydiewiki may be incorrect, and it's certainly not precise. I've nailed down the date as closely as I can, without myself having been a contemporaneous forum participant who might remember something significant like "I bought one before Christmas 2004" or something similar.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:11 pm
Do you place no value on there being an accurate record of Spyderco's production history?

I believe the date on Spydiewiki may be incorrect, and it's certainly not precise. I've nailed down the date as closely as I can, without myself having been a contemporaneous forum participant who might remember something significant like "I bought one before Christmas 2004" or something similar.
I wish you all the luck in the world compiling an accurate record of Spyderco's production history. Considering their policy of CQI and the sheer number of rolling changes that I can recall even with my feeble old memory, I'd say you have your work cut out for you.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

October 2004 it began shipping to dealers.

Stay safe,

Mike
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Thanks Mike. I strongly suspected it was released in late 2004.