Water Filters & Purifiers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Water Filters & Purifiers

Post by JD Spydo »

I've had this subject up for conversation before but it's been quite a while and a lot of changes have occurred in that market.

There have been a lot of new technologies and improvements on many of the older units that have been sold for years. One new unit I'm taking a close look at is a newer water filter made by "Ready Pur". It's got a stainless Steel spigot whereas most of their competitors have nylon spigots and their filters are rated very high in comparison to most of the others on the market.

I've been using a water filter system known as Aquarain ( www.aquarain.com) and I've had very good results with it. However I'm always trying to improve on what I've got. With the economy on the brink and all the social unrest it's not a bad idea to stock up on food and much more important is to have a reliable water filter or purifier.

The British Berkefeld water filter that has had great reviews over the years and is now nearly impossible to get here in the USA for unknown reasons. But there are other carbon block, gravity filters out there that do compete with the older established brands like the Berkefeld. The Aquarain unit I use is made right here in the state of Missouri USA. I would also like to chat about the portable water filters as well. The Swiss made "Katadyn" is one that immediately comes to mind as well as the "Lifestraw" which is more of an emergency type small water filter. OK tell us what you got>> and tell us of any new brands you might be aware of.
Naperville

Re: Water Filters & Purifiers

Post by Naperville »

I'm interested in this topic too. Looking for large all the way down to small carry systems that filter out all the way down to viruses.

Grayl Ultralight Water Filter
https://youtu.be/FB_gJ6fCFl4
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Sawyer Products Select Series Water Filter and Purifier w/Micro Squeeze Filter, S3

Filters out Viruses and Heavy Metals

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products- ... fkmr0&th=1
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

This article covers most of the hiking filters on the market, and tells you what they claim to filter and what they actually filter...

https://www.wideners.com/blog/water-fil ... -survival/

In my own experience, Sawyer filters are terrible. They will jam up if there's the tiniest amount of sediment in the water, of if you look them funny, or if the phase of the moon is wrong, and you end up spending far more time backflushing than anything else. Eventually they will just lock up permanently. If you try to file a warranty claim with them, you will quickly find yourself SOL. Don't believe their claim that it will filter 100,000 gallons either. I doubt you could even get 5,000 gallons of city tapwater through it before it jammed up permanently.

Lifestraw products are okay if you're on a budget. I've used both a standard Lifestraw and Lifestraw bottle with the 2-stage filter (basically a standard Lifestraw plus a carbon filter stuck into a bottle). The Lifestraw Mission is a gravity-fed system good for a small group of hikers, and the Lifestraw Community is a popular system if you have to provide water to an entire African village or a doomsday cult compound or something.

If you want something ultra-compact, the HydroBlu filter pen is pretty good.

My friend swears by Lifesaver brand filters, specifically the Liberty bottle and the jerrycan.

I seriously considered getting a Grayl Geopress a couple years ago, but ended up just sticking with the Lifestraw bottle since it doesn't have any moving gaskets under pressure to worry about. Many people have reported water leaking around the gasket instead of going through the filter, etc.

By far my favorite portable water purification system is a Katadyn SteriPen Ultralight. If you have access to 'clean' water sources where you only have to worry about bacteria/viruses and not stuff like heavy metals and other environmental contaminants, the SteriPen is so much better than any sort of small portable filter. It can sterilize water at a rate of one liter per 90 second treatment, and it kills 100% of everything in the water. It never needs backflushed, won't freeze and break, and won't surprise you by permanently locking up three days into an AT section hike. They make several different models of SteriPen, but the Ultra and Ultralight models are both USB rechargeable and rated for 8000 cycles. They make other models that run on various battery configurations (AA or CR123A IIRC). Some have 8000 cycles, some have less. The Ultralight weighs only 2.6oz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey thanks "Accutron" that is a most interesting website you shared with us. I'm almost shocked that there are so many portable, hiking type water filters on the market. A survival seminar I went to a while back only talked about the MSR, Katadyn and the LIFESTRAW filters. But as popular as the prepper/survivalist movement has got I see there are a lot more competitors out there.

Like I said earlier I now own and use an AQUARAIN unit which has pretty good stats. But I do know that there are other units now on the market that are probably rated higher than they are at this time. I do know that this newer "Ready Pur" unit is getting a lot of good reviews.

When I get time I'm going to go through this entire website you shared with us. Also I'm going to take a hard look at this Steripen/Katadyn unit you spoke of.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I was just looking back at some of the notes I took at a Survival Seminar I went to. There is another water filter that crowd was really high on and that is a relatively new brand known as "Alexapure". I've read some reviews on the Alexapure water filter and they got really high grades from almost everyone that chimed in.

From all I've read so far on the portable water filters the "Katadyn" units seem to get the highest marks. I have heard good about the MSR units but I'll admit that I don't know much about them other than I've had two good friends speak highly of them.

The LIFESTRAW is kind of an emergency type of a filter where you can literally put the filter in a stream, lake or river and use it just like you would a straw. I've heard nothing but good about LIFESTRAW and I do plan on getting one or two of them. Because for any reason you might be on the run it might be your only option.
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I have had a lifestraw in a b.o.b. for years but have not had to use it thankfully. it was cheap insurance. I have used both a katadyn and an MSR while backpacking in both Georgia and Wyoming on multi day trips. The Katadyn was tougher to pump but apparently did more for viruses and other things you want filtered out. The MSR is nice because it attached to a nalgene and was easier to prime first thing in the day. both have nice kits to scrub the filter medium and prepare for continued use. the katadyn was more expensive. I have since purchased a MSR filter kit around the 100 dollar mark though i believe they have a better system similar to the katadin that is closer to 200 bucks. if i was seriously concerned id probably use tabs with the msr and possibly boil too. I am confident in its use in the US if i were to go to south america or africa Id prefer the katadyn i think
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

odomandr wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:40 am
I have had a lifestraw in a b.o.b. for years but have not had to use it thankfully. it was cheap insurance. I have used both a katadyn and an MSR while backpacking in both Georgia and Wyoming on multi day trips. The Katadyn was tougher to pump but apparently did more for viruses and other things you want filtered out. The MSR is nice because it attached to a nalgene and was easier to prime first thing in the day. both have nice kits to scrub the filter medium and prepare for continued use. the katadyn was more expensive. I have since purchased a MSR filter kit around the 100 dollar mark though i believe they have a better system similar to the katadin that is closer to 200 bucks. if i was seriously concerned id probably use tabs with the msr and possibly boil too. I am confident in its use in the US if i were to go to south america or africa Id prefer the katadyn i think
Hey thanks "odomandr">> I've heard similar testimonies that the Katadyn units are not so easy to implement. However I've heard that the Swiss Army uses Katadyn's water filters and I find that to be a really good recommendation.

But I will also check out the MSR unit as well. LIFESTRAW is so inexpensive that a guy could be 2 to 3 of them and keep a replacement handy. I've heard some people say that they can't get no more than about a 100 gallons through one without having to replace it. But it sure would be nice to be able to take water out of a stream in an emergency. You can go without food for 20 days plus>> but about 3 days is the limit without potable water to drink.
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

i view the lifestraw as an emergency limited reusable device. the MSR and Katadyn have serviceable and replaceable filters. buy the katadyn if you plan to leave the US or if your budget is unlimited. I can also say i have been more than pleased with every piece of MSR camping gear I have used. I look to them first for many new things. I have used their stove for 20 years not a single issue
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

I only have first-hand experience with one unit: Back in 1994, I got a Pur brand backpacking filter. I don't do much backpacking any more, but back when I got it, I used it quite a bit and it always worked.

At some point, Pur sold their backpacking filters to Katadyn. And the unit I have from Pur is still made by Katadyn, it's now this: https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/350-80182 ... icrofilter

So this unit has been in production for 25+ years now and is still made. And I can still get replacement filters for my old unit. That to me indicates that it must work reasonably well, since it's unlikely any model would stay in production that long if it was junk.

But this is definitely a small-volume filter, meant to handle a few gallons while backpacking. It's not a "household" filter like a Big Berkey or similar units that are designed to filter hundreds of gallons each week. (FWIW, all the "prepper" sites I've read universally recommend the Big Berkey, so you might look at that unit.)

I also have a couple of basic Brita pitchers that I used to keep in the fridge to have cold filtered water to drink. But I don't actually use those any more, since the last fridge I bought has an in-door water dispenser that has a filter. But if the grid went down and I needed to filter rainwater or something, I could still use the Brita pitchers in an emergency.

And although I don't have a MSR filter, I second odomandr's recommendation of MSR gear. I have an equally old (mid 1990s) MSR "Whisperlite international" stove (that can run on both white gas or kerosene) that is still going strong.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

We use water filters here at home after the water has been processed by the Chicago Water Filtration System. We use them in two stages, and no matter what you decide to do, I suggest that you stick with that if you can. The reason why is because the filters on the better systems will rapidly clog if they have to contend with a lot of "debris" or even high counts for bacteria.

PRE FILTER:
You might use this stage if collecting water from a stream. It might require using a T-shirt or other means of filtering out large particulate.

STAGE 1:
The large particulate filter might filter debris and contaminants but not the viruses.

Examples:
* Sawyer Products One-Gallon Gravity Water Filtration System
* "Black Berkey" - Crown Berkey Water Filter With 2 Black and 2 PF2 Fluoride Filters

STAGE 2:
Filters out viruses.

Examples:
* Grayl Ultralight Water Filter
* Renovo MUV: Survivalist Water Filter

JUST A SUGGESTION!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:33 pm
We use water filters here at home after the water has been processed by the Chicago Water Filtration System. We use them in two stages, and no matter what you decide to do, I suggest that you stick with that if you can. The reason why is because the filters on the better systems will rapidly clog if they have to contend with a lot of "debris" or even high counts for bacteria.

PRE FILTER:
You might use this stage if collecting water from a stream. It might require using a T-shirt or other means of filtering out large particulate.

STAGE 1:
The large particulate filter might filter debris and contaminants but not the viruses.

Examples:
* Sawyer Products One-Gallon Gravity Water Filtration System
* "Black Berkey" - Crown Berkey Water Filter With 2 Black and 2 PF2 Fluoride Filters

STAGE 2:
Filters out viruses.

Examples:
* Grayl Ultralight Water Filter
* Renovo MUV: Survivalist Water Filter

JUST A SUGGESTION!
My AQUARAIN filter came with a Pre-filter for if I would have to use lake water or pond water or even river water. I've only used it once and it was amazing how much particulate that it removed. The Aquarain Co. sells their pre-filters for $35 unless you buy a set of replacement filters or any other purchase over $100>> then they will usually cut the price in half.

I've looked at that Grayl filter and I find it interesting. I'm going to check out that other filter you listed. It's been amazing how many companies that have hit the market in the past 10 years or so. I even filter the city tap water and it's mind blowing how much garbage you get in your filters even with tap water.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:03 pm
My AQUARAIN filter came with a Pre-filter for if I would have to use lake water or pond water or even river water. I've only used it once and it was amazing how much particulate that it removed. The Aquarain Co. sells their pre-filters for $35 unless you buy a set of replacement filters or any other purchase over $100>> then they will usually cut the price in half.

I've looked at that Grayl filter and I find it interesting. I'm going to check out that other filter you listed. It's been amazing how many companies that have hit the market in the past 10 years or so. I even filter the city tap water and it's mind blowing how much garbage you get in your filters even with tap water.
Prepping and the technology really took off. I'm glad to see all of these devices too. The Grayl looks good for what it is!

If you buy a "straw" be prepared to lay on your belly and drink from the creek or pond with it. They do not come with 5ft hose attachments, but you can buy and pack them. Also, sucking through a 5ft long tube has got to drag.

For drinking water right now we use a Brita pitcher (stage 1) and then we pour that in to a large Zero Water(stage 2) to filter Chicago Water Filtration Plant delivered tap water. But we need something else so that we are not constantly refilling the Brita. If we go right from the tap to the Zero Water, it runs through it's filter rapidly. That is why I am suggesting multiple stages. Filters are how these guys make money.

Looking at the Crown Berkey Water Filter w the Black Berkey filters. It holds gallons of water so we will only fill it a couple of times a week.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:03 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:03 pm

Prepping and the technology really took off. I'm glad to see all of these devices too. The Grayl looks good for what it is!

If you buy a "straw" be prepared to lay on your belly and drink from the creek or pond with it. They do not come with 5ft hose attachments, but you can buy and pack them. Also, sucking through a 5ft long tube has got to drag.

For drinking water right now we use a Brita pitcher (stage 1) and then we pour that in to a large Zero Water(stage 2) to filter Chicago Water Filtration Plant delivered tap water. But we need something else so that we are not constantly refilling the Brita. If we go right from the tap to the Zero Water, it runs through it's filter rapidly. That is why I am suggesting multiple stages. Filters are how these guys make money.

Looking at the Crown Berkey Water Filter w the Black Berkey filters. It holds gallons of water so we will only fill it a couple of times a week.
Well I hope you've got connections to the British Berkefeld Co. Because we've got a distributor for all the Berkey Products here in Missouri and for the past two months he has told all his customers that all of their stock is sold out and he has no idea when he'll ever get any more Berkey Water filters ( regardless of model). He also said recently that he wont' even take anyone's money for backorder because he said he had no idea of when he would be able to get any more Berkey units.

Apparently from what he says they have sold all the stock they have available here in the USA. He said recently that he is going to start selling those "Ready Pur" water filters. But do let me know if you know of another Berkey distributor here in the USA that has units in stock>> or claim they can get them. Because this guy was a big distributor for Berkey here in Missouri and he claims he can't get any more of them any time soon.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Yes, I'll second that.
Berkey make great gravity filters.
No power required.
vivi

Post by vivi »

glentlor wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:33 am
We use Berkey's water purifier, BK4X2-BB Gravity Water Filter. We did a lot of research, read reviews of the water purifier and decided to go with it. Excellent filter, shiny stainless steel and rust-free. After using this water purifier, the water is free of strange odors and flavors. we absolutely love this filter.
I've heard good things about their products, but they're also pretty pricey.

I heard about zero water from another forum I frequent. Heard their filtration is top notch, and their products look inexpensive. Anyone here have any experience with them?

https://zerowater.com/collections/water ... dispensers

I've always used a basic brita pitcher in our fridge but I've been looking to upgrade.
:unicorn
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

glentlor wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:33 am
We use Berkey's water purifier, BK4X2-BB Gravity Water Filter. We did a lot of research, read reviews of the water purifier and decided to go with it. Excellent filter, shiny stainless steel and rust-free. After using this water purifier, the water is free of strange odors and flavors. we absolutely love this filter.

Yes, I have a Berkey and they are excellent, can highly recommend it.

The filters last for 3000 gallons, set of 2 is 6000 gallons. (Mine uses 2) Or about 3.5 gallons a day for 5 years.

I have the Travel Berkey Water Filter, all I need size wise for my use, 1.5 Gallon. Takes about 20 mins or less to run 1.5 gallons.

Or about 5 years or more depending on how much water you run through it.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Anyone having experience with atmosferic water generators ?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've been on hikes where a filter would've made a huge difference in my enjoyment and safety. i have a sawyer filter, but it's hard to beat the grayl geo press for ease of use. i have one of those too. i always carry my geopress on day hikes now and save the sawyer for longer range trips with more people.

for home, we have a berkey filter. it works well, but you have to remember to refill it every night. it can take a while for it to filter.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:59 pm
i've been on hikes where a filter would've made a huge difference in my enjoyment and safety. i have a sawyer filter, but it's hard to beat the grayl geo press for ease of use. i have one of those too. i always carry my geopress on day hikes now and save the sawyer for longer range trips with more people.

for home, we have a berkey filter. it works well, but you have to remember to refill it every night. it can take a while for it to filter.

It can depending on which one you have and how many filters you have in it.

More filters = Less time.