Besides salt water, what do you find causes rust the most?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Besides salt water, what do you find causes rust the most?

Post by Evil D »

I think the obvious most common rust issue is from body sweat, but are there any other things you encounter with your knife that you've found to be a sure way of rusting your blade?

Specifically not looking for ways to prevent rust...quite the opposite.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Re: Besides salt water, what do you find causes rust the most?

Post by JuPaul »

One of the few times I've had surface rust issues on the edge of a blade was from using my 52100 manix for yard work - mostly cutting back honeysuckle vines and shoots on cherry trees - and forgetting to wash it after. So to answer your question: plant goo??
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Holland

Post by Holland »

i use my gb2 for food prep and keep getting small dots from fruit and veggies and meat.

could use your project Caribbean to cut food scraps for weeks on end without rinsing it?!?!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

As far as rust goes, plain "water water" will rust 52100 and K390 quickly enough in my experience. Patina oxidation will happen virtually instantaneously on 52100 with Tabasco sauce (yes, I've tried it).
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David,

Interesting question.

I'd add "chemicals". When I was mfg aerospace parts back in another life-time, I learned that acids, alkaline, salts,etc. can be very hard on steels and other materials. I had to make a solid Teflon ring as the chemicals would even eat gold. Chlorine is hard on steels in any form; salt is Sodium Chloride (Chlorine), saltwater. Many foods can affect steel in many ways.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, plant goo. That is my main source of corrosion.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Holland wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:34 pm
could use your project Caribbean to cut food scraps for weeks on end without rinsing it?!?!

Oh I'm gonna do far more ridiculous than that :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have a hard time to ever rust my knives: I carry them IWB when trailrunning (and sweating of course) or sometimes for days in wet pockets or packs, cut food,don´t "baby" the blades at all, but still almost no signs of corrosion on VG10, S30V, XHP, BD1 and BD1N, N690, D2.... , even HAP 40 shows though a nice patina actually no real rust in my use

My Rex 45 Manix LW though has developed some tiny specs already. Hard to be seen though, and I did cut meat and fruits already with this knife and carried it a lot in sweaty and humid conditions as well.

On one occasion I left an O1 blade (very rustprone anyway of course) accidently in dissolved denture cleaner (yes, I luckily DO still have all my natural teeth ;), but denture cleaner is great for cleaning bike bottles or the like) for an hour or so. This really caused a lot of corrosion in a short period of time - no wonder, just looked up what ingredients that stuff can have: Citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, sodium perborate, sodium polyphosphate.. sounds pretty aggressive...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Lack of proper care!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sweat; juice / residue (citric acid) from cutting lemons, limes, or oranges for cocktails.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've never found anything that rusts knives like my sweat.

Vinegar, mustard and tomato also do a number on steel pretty quick.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

In the past I've had some trouble with various food acids and especially on ZDP-189. I've also had stains from food acids on VG-10, 440V and S30V just to name a few.

Another corrosive villian I've had to deal with is chlorine bleach ( Clorox). Times I've done cleaning jobs and when I've gotten bleach on my blade I've had some bad results as well. I've gotten to where I'm now very careful to rinse all my knives after using them with just about any corrosive substances.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:43 pm
Sweat; juice / residue (citric acid) from cutting lemons, limes, or oranges for cocktails.
Yeah, lemons.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Climate and humidity.

I've taken good care of my months-old GB2...making sure to oil it lightly before putting in into my watertight knife case. Never cut food or done food prep with it. Only dry cutting applications and I really made sure to wipe it down on my pants or shirt after use. Checked it and now it has developed about three or four very small spots on the blade edge and one near the spine.

I'm betting it was because it has been quite humid and rainy the past month here.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Entropy.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I think blood runs a close second to saltwater. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:25 pm

On one occasion I left an O1 blade (very rustprone anyway of course) accidently in dissolved denture cleaner (yes, I luckily DO still have all my natural teeth ;), but denture cleaner is great for cleaning bike bottles or the like) for an hour or so. This really caused a lot of corrosion in a short period of time - no wonder, just looked up what ingredients that stuff can have: Citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, sodium perborate, sodium polyphosphate.. sounds pretty aggressive...

Off topic, but how is denture cleaner for water bladders? I have an Osprey hydration pack that's developed a funk because it's hard to clean the flexible bladder and hose unit...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:13 pm
Entropy.
LOL, that’ll do it! :D

On a more minor time scale, yep green plant sap, blood, salty pickle vinegar, and other foodstuffs like citrus all do it pretty strongly for me.
James Y

Post by James Y »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:40 pm
Climate and humidity.

I've taken good care of my months-old GB2...making sure to oil it lightly before putting in into my watertight knife case. Never cut food or done food prep with it. Only dry cutting applications and I really made sure to wipe it down on my pants or shirt after use. Checked it and now it has developed about three or four very small spots on the blade edge and one near the spine.

I'm betting it was because it has been quite humid and rainy the past month here.
If I were still living in Taipei, Taiwan, I’d be carrying a linerless Salt. Especially during the summer months, but all year, really.

Jim
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:34 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Off topic, but how is denture cleaner for water bladders? I have an Osprey hydration pack that's developed a funk because it's hard to clean the flexible bladder and hose unit...

I think you need a hose brush. That has made a big difference for my hydration bladder hygiene. Disassemble as much as possible and scrub out. Osprey makes good stuff.

I have had good luck with baking soda as a cleaner too.